Author Topic: DL16S/DL32S commentaries  (Read 23876 times)

ToH2002

• Padawan
Re: DL16S/DL32S First adopters experiences
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2018, 05:30:33 PM »
I haven't yet dug into the live recording, since the windows app doesn't exist yet. 

The Windows version of Master Fader won't help you with live recording - you'll need a separate piece of software (a DAW like Cubase, Reaper, etc) on a PC/Mac connected to the DL mixer via USB. This will treat the DL as a multichannel audio interface and present your mixer inputs individually to the DAW (you can actually define in the routing page what signal will be available to the DAW - the direct input after input gain or the processed channel content, or even the stereo mix or a subgroup).

Master Fader Windows version will simply be a "remote control" app for the mixer and won't have any recording facilities for the DL16S. Master Fader Windows will connect to your mixer via Wifi or wired network, not via USB. You could probably have both the DAW and Master Fader on the same Windows machine, but you could also run them on different Windows machines. I would keep my recording on a separate machine, sitting next to the mixer on stage and not touch it while it's recording...

So if you want to start recording your sessions, no need to wait for MF5.1 - connect your DL16S to a PC via USB (install the drivers first) and use any DAW to record. There is actually a pretty nice free live recording solution: Tracks Live by Waves: https://www.waves.com/mixers-racks/tracks-live  - no mixing capabilities, but good enough to just capture a gig with very few clicks.

Cheers,

Torsten

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2018, 06:36:57 PM »
Yes, and the USB driver for the PC is available and the Mac should just work. So any of the major DAW's should be useful for recording and playback.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2018, 05:17:39 PM »
Has anyone taken a DL16S or DL32S out for a show yet?  I’m still considering getting the DL16S, but probably won’t touch it until next year and will keep my DL1608 as a back up.  It’s not perfect, but it does everything I need. 

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2018, 01:46:25 AM »
Dont have a s version, but looking at the app, im missing an (by me) much use function
In mf4 u could tap in the box below the eq in channelstrip to go to the fx,
In mf5 it s just a blackbox and u have to push a fx button
In mf5 u cant quickly change the fx anymore AND change the volume of that channel

Imwould rather see that if u push the blackbox(or a picture of the slected fx that u go to the fx and have the old screen

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2018, 04:19:11 AM »
Ampli, as soon as the next version of MF5 is released, those issues will have already been addressed and fixed,
and there will be no confusion as to what effect is loaded into what FX channel.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 04:50:30 AM by dpdan »

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2018, 10:46:16 AM »
 :thu:

Bufalo

• Youngling
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2018, 07:54:04 PM »
Has anyone taken a DL16S or DL32S out for a show yet?  I’m still considering getting the DL16S, but probably won’t touch it until next year and will keep my DL1608 as a back up.  It’s not perfect, but it does everything I need.

I've done two gigs with my DL16s, it's worked just fine.  It feels like an evolution of the existing product and not anything fully new.  Once I start going, it's just the same as the 1608 ever was.

Bufalo

• Youngling
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2018, 07:55:36 PM »
I hadn't considered that there would be a separate driver for Windows for this to just operate as an interface.  I've been a Reaper user for years now, I'll give that a whirl and see how it goes. 

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2018, 01:15:29 AM »
Sounds good.  I'm still using my DL1608 as recently as last night.  I love the pre-amps and the looks of MF5 is adding functions that I'm ready for.  Still considering it.  I haven't configured the 1608 to directly feed my PA speakers and amps.  I've given it a lot of thought and the 31 band EQ could be set up to flatten the speaker response of any system.  I've found that to make any system more functional in every environment.  Currently I'm using DBX's DriveRack PA and PX for those duties.

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2018, 04:40:40 AM »
Sounds good.  I'm still using my DL1608 as recently as last night.  I love the pre-amps and the looks of MF5 is adding functions that I'm ready for.  Still considering it.  I haven't configured the 1608 to directly feed my PA speakers and amps.  I've given it a lot of thought and the 31 band EQ could be set up to flatten the speaker response of any system.  I've found that to make any system more functional in every environment.  Currently I'm using DBX's DriveRack PA and PX for those duties.
The biggest change i see with mf5 is the effects, the all other funtions are already in mf4
Unfortuned there is no separet eq for the left and right for the main
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 04:43:02 AM by Ampli »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2018, 02:37:15 AM »
I always use matched speakers for Left/Right.  If I used one side for monitors that might make a difference.  But right now I don't play in a band with more than 6 musicians and the Aux channels can cover totally separate mixes for each.   That would be more important if using IEMs.  (Not my situation.)

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2018, 08:47:32 AM »
You might have matched speakers but what about asymmetric rooms, there's a lot of them about, as well as different zones in the same room. A split EQ on the mains is very useful and was the norm back in analogue times when of course one used to dream of stereo EQs to save having to match 31 tiny faders. Never happy basically.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2018, 06:22:26 PM »
If the band was louder, that might be an issue, but being able to pan to a strong side has been enough for me.  And that doesn’t happen very often.  I do see where you are coming from.  I also don’t do base EQing in a club.  Pink noise is too upsetting. 

Reluctant Soundman

• Initiate
Re: DL16S/DL32S commentaries
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2018, 03:16:57 PM »
Newbie here.

I just received my DL32S a couple weeks ago and have been familiarizing myself with the MF app (transitioning from analog Onyx 1640 workhorse). I think I've got the basics sorted out and have set up a show and snap shots with view groups, monitor mixes, mute groups, FX, all input channel settings. When I connect to the mixer, the show loads in its most recent form, which is great. The odd thing is that when I'm not connected to the mixer the offline shows don't display a "Load" or "Recall" button. The only links present are; Name, Image, Duplicate and Delete.

My hunch is that this has something to do with where the files are saved to (iCloud by default on my iPad) but I don't use iCloud. Does that seem like a reasonable hunch? Should I change the setting to save to the iPad? I do sound only for my own band so no need for lots of shows and snapshots that could get lost if the iPad dies.

Thanks.

P.S. Thanks to @dpdan for your excellent tutorial videos. Got me up to speed very quickly.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 03:18:43 PM by Reluctant Soundman »

Boatman

• Youngling
Re: DL16S/DL32S commentaries
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2019, 08:52:30 PM »
As a new user to the forum I want to thank you for the hours of reading available on the DL16S. As a DL1608/DL806 user, and having purchased the DL16S, I am in a bit of a dilemma primarily due to the requirement of iOS11.0 for Master Fader 5 and the incompatibility of Master Fader 4 with the DL16S. What now makes migration difficult is the fact that my users have iPad4 machines, not iPad Air or newer and Apple froze iPad4's at iOS10. Has anyone found a workaround for this conundrum? Buying newer iPads or iPhones is not going over well....