Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Recording specific channels

(1/1)

Yorgaki1:
I’m a longtime 1608 user that upgraded to the 32r about 9 months ago and love the mixer and app.  I want to start recording on the dl32r and have a trio gig this weekend. My hard drive is mounted and formatted and ready to go. My inputs are spread out and I would like to only record the active channels if possible. How do I set this up. I see where I can select the number of tracks to record, but how does that translate to input channels? I’ve got instruments on channels 9, 10, vocals on 17-20, stereo keyboards on 25 &26, and 2 stereo drum machines on 27/28 and 29/30. Can I record just these inputs for later mixing? Also, can I record a stereo mix of the main outputs at the same time? Also, I may just want to record only a stereo mix like I used to on the 1608 and would love to know how to set this up.  I looked through the users guide and also searched the forum but did not find any specific info. Thanks!!

ToH2002:
Hey Yorgaki1,

let's take them one at a time:

"Can I only record the channels I use?" - yes, you can, but it will require a bit of fiddling... In MasterFader, you can only set the number of channels to record, starting with 1. BUT: what you can do is: change the USB output patching! When recording, the DL32R will record the channels USB1 to USB32 (or less, depending how you set your channel count for recording). So if you use the USB patching page to set Input 9 to USB1, Input 10 to USB2, Input 17 to USB3 etc, you'll have everything set to only record the relevant channels. Fortunately, USB patching is saved with your snapshots. So go and save your existing mixer setup in a snapshot, create a new "Trio" snapshot and then change the USB output routing. Now save this "Trio" snapshot. All done - you can now record exactly the number of inputs you use.

"Can I record a stereo mix of the main outputs at the same time" - yes, using the same technique outlined above. You can patch the Main Out stereo pair to a pair of USB outputs and record them. I'd recommend you use the first pair (USB 1/USB 2 ) for this and then consecutively assign your other used channels to the rest of the USB outputs to keep things simple - no need to move them if you should add more active channels. Plus an additional benefit - see below.

"Can I record only a stereo mix" - yes, same technique as above. Using my approach of keeping the stereo mix assigned to USB1/2, you don't even need to change the patching - simply set the number of recording channels to 2. This will only record the stereo mix and ignore the other channels you've set up on USB3,4,...

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Torsten

Yorgaki1:
Perfect Thank you!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version