Author Topic: Mackie’s own website Master Fader 5  (Read 5741 times)

Wynnd

• Master
Mackie’s own website Master Fader 5
« on: October 29, 2018, 03:38:18 PM »
Mackie’s website is claiming Master Fader 5 will be out tomorrow October 30th.  I hope so, because even though I don’t own a DL16S, I’m interested in it and want to look at the software changes.  Honestly the DL16S temps me.  I really don’t want to own a 32 channel mixer but I don’t plan on getting rid of the DL1608.  Probably keep it as a back up.  I’ve really enjoyed the DL1608, but I’ve done enough theater to know that is a poor choice for that.  Some of the claims for MF5 look like they may have made changes that will help in that situation.  (Instant Show changes on the fly?  Could help with changes of microphone assignments onstage.  It was way too slow for that on previous versions.)   

So check out Mackie’s claimed changes for MF5 and hope they got them all in there.  It sounds good.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Mackie’s own website Master Fader 5
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 05:37:21 PM »
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=1430.msg17121#msg17121
As far as helping any theater productions I highly doubt it. If you have done real theater (need synchronized Lighting and Audio Control at minimum) you would be using apps such as Sound Cue Systems (I've used it since it's release) or others such as Qlab and all require MIDI for control. Where is MIDI in the DL16S? USB to MIDI not supported AFAIK.  Mackie was never known for speed so loading shows will not help. I also don't see that as any claim for V5.0.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 06:05:08 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 06:26:32 PM »
I had hope for changing shows and using them for each scene with different mute groups.  I've never been responsible for the lights.  I'd rather get the sound right.  (And I'm aways amazed at people who do both and are good at both at the same time.  Very rare.)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 06:50:21 PM »
For very small shows if you can get away with the 6 DCA's it's another route. No channel overlaps IIRC.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 07:09:38 PM »
Only 4 DCAs on the Dl1608.  I have used them, more for fast muting than anything else with the Senior’s show groups.  (It’s hard to get seniors to stop talking when they leave the stage.). I really love working with these folks.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 04:46:51 PM »
One word about Sound Cue Systems and others, if you don't have 4+ shows it's not worth the time to setup. I do a lot of one time shows (none Theater) and usually find a way around this. Usually between mute groups, subgroups and DCA's and help from a PC (sound effects etc.) I can usually cover all needs. Video is on and off and lighting is usually very rudimentary.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 05:59:10 AM »
Wynnd maybe you could clarify the statement "Instant Show changes on the fly?  Could help with changes of microphone assignments onstage" ? Are your actors changing or dual using mics? If not why would snapshots not work? I've not used MF for a good 3 years so I may have missed something. A show can be up to 99 snapshots long and is a fast switch. Yes the snapshots should have been called scenes as in theater lingo.
When in doubt KISS

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 06:45:02 AM »
I completely agree about the fact that scenes is what they should have been called, a snapshot is a picture, anyway, it was I who suggested that a feature be added in the Settings,
"Confirmation Snapshot Recall" ON/OFF.

In theater shows, "scenes" or snapshots in this case, need to be recalled or loaded instantly with the push of a button, without any lag of time whatsoever.
Before this feature was added, it was necessary to actually click on the scene to be loaded next, then the typical "Recall Snapshot" confirmation prompt would appear, making us hit yet another button...YES!

So, in settings, we can turn off this confirmation prompt so the snapshot will instantly load.
Not so necessary in most applications of live sound, but theater use,,, you bet. 

I will add that this feature has been part of Master Fader for a long time, it is not something that is new in Master Fader 5, in case this is the "on the fly" action mentioned by Wynnd. Regardless, it is nice not to have that otherwise annoying popup during a critical live show.

It is mind boggling to me all the things that are possible because we are essentially using a computer to manipulate what used to be a 200 pound console.
I really don't miss hauling all that stuff around anymore.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 05:00:58 AM by dpdan »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 01:46:40 PM »
I didn't know about that.   It surely would have been useful in the past.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 01:54:20 PM »
In my theater usage, there are about 14 microphones shared by a cast of about 30 people.  Some skits only have two or three mics live onstage, but there are usually a number of microphones that need to be swapped or are on an actor ready to come onstage.  Those need to be muted until they show up.  (Back stage conversations and mic noises when being passed to another performer.)  I can't really trust the actors to mute or unmute as needed, so that falls on me.  I did dream of being able to switch scenes in seconds.  With 40 or more skits and songs in a show, that's a heavy load and real faders has made it easier.  (There's a Presonus mixer there.  The control room isn't in a great spot.)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 03:50:19 PM »
Sound like you need to train a backstage helper for one. The channel ID is changeable for each snapshot if that would even help. What model Presounus?
Seems like a lot of actors, do some of them even need to be mic'd? Maybe even change your miking approach by using overheads, Shotguns or floor mics (PCC or PZM).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 04:14:54 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 05:49:01 PM »
32.4.2.  Installed shortly after they came out.  That also isn’t the only venue where I’d done the show.  (Actually there are two show groups.  I might not be doing the one show anymore.  We’ll see.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 05:53:20 PM »
While there sure are some that don’t need to be mic’d, the groups are senior amateurs.  Most really need a good microphone to be heard in an audience of partially deaf people.  The PA in there is serious overkill.  The speakers are EAWs the monitors are ZX1s and the Crown Amps are about 4 times bigger than needed.  It would be pretty good for a rock concert.