Author Topic: ProDX8 - Mixer Connect  (Read 5092 times)

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel
ProDX8 - Mixer Connect
« on: November 13, 2018, 02:54:44 PM »
I'm really confused about what is going on with this product. It is very hard to find on the Mackie website. I happen to own one of these as a backup to my 1608 for smaller gigs but was hoping that some upgrades might be in the works for Mixer Connect like being able to add label names to the channels.

Any insight/info might be helpful.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 03:01:47 PM by LeeSteel »
Plug up one ear and make it mono!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: ProDX8 - Mixer Connect
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 06:32:26 PM »
My take on this is that Mackie is going to or already has discontinued the product probably due to lack of sales. Most of the major suppliers list it as "no longer available". Those left are real cheap. Mackie will be real busy just dealing with the DL series for the foreseeable future.
When in doubt KISS

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 07:52:09 PM »
That's too bad. It's actually not a bad little box and it works great to sub (6 channels of drums) into the 1608 to make a total of 20 channels. I've been using it for some very small restaurant gigs and it works great on it's own. Someone was commenting on their bluetooth issues but I have not experienced that. I am currently running 3 vocals, snare (mostly reverb effect), overhead and guitar channels. I have a looper pedal with some pre-recorded sound effects that I patch into the 7/8 channel. My kick drum goes directly into a powered sub. People complement the sound every night we do the small rig. I purchased mine on discount from ebay and suspected that it might be short lived. I was only hoping for a next level enhancement in the app.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 01:16:05 AM »
Might just want to give Mackie a call to see if they're willing to give you a straight answer about it's future. I have the original Freeplay with probably the same problem. Mine has clearly been replaced.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:17:55 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

chrisdski

• Youngling
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 05:47:47 PM »
I agree that this is a neat little mixer.  I have run 3 vocal mics, 2 instrument mics, piano DI and bass DI into this for small gigs.  Yes, it has it's limitations (static gain input, no phantom power) but it fits into a mic bag.  Really portable rig with power PAs and an iphone.  Be nice if Mackie would update UI, or if someone would make a new app for it. 

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 12:08:34 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience Chris. My only request would be to be able to label the channels (like Master Fader). Don't even need icons, just the ability to change the text. It's not a game changer, just a nice to have. I am using an iPad Mini and it is the perfect size for this mixer. I will post a picture tomorrow of my setup with the ProDX subbed into the DL1608.

chrisdski

• Youngling
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 02:52:15 PM »
I had emailed Ben at Mackie a year or so ago about the ProDX.  I asked about adding the same feature (being able to name channels) and basic effects presets (i.e. choose acoustic guitar- sets EQ, compression, etc from a template that you can then tweak). At times I do run all 8 channels on mine, so mixing on the fly you can get confused remembering which channel is which without naming them.

workingstiff

• Youngling
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 04:12:09 PM »
I use a ProDX for smaller acoustic gigs and even full band gigs where we only mic vocals and the kick. Channel labels would great and the ability to tap in the delay tempos would be nice additions. The thing has been super reliable in terms of bluetooth connectivity for me.

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 02:08:40 PM »
Well, it appears that I spoke too soon. My 3rd gig with the ProDX8 last Saturday was plagued with disconnects.
I have been using an iPad Mini. Next time, I will try using my iPad2 and see if that is any better.