Author Topic: Stereo IEM’s  (Read 3337 times)

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
Stereo IEM’s
« on: November 24, 2018, 12:59:49 AM »
Hello, I’m switching to IEM’s and I’ve been playing around with a mono send and now want to try stereo so I’ve linked 5&6 and when I pan hard L or R it doesn’t work. If im in the AUX 5 jack I get center and left pan but no right and  vice versa for AUX 6. I’m guessing I may need a y splitter cable but not sure so figured I’d ask here first.. thanks.

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Stereo IEM’s
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 04:18:46 AM »
I'm assuming your IEMs have two separate inputs where you can feed Aux 5 to the Left channel and Aux 6 to the right channel.  At no point should your Aux 6 provide anything to the Left channel and Aux 5 shouldn't be able to feed the right channel.  If you don't feed different left and right sounds, it would be hard to notice the difference.  (Use a stereo recording for testing feeding the left into channel 1 and the right into channel 2 (Linked and fed out to Aux 5/6 link.)   Follow the signal through the mixer.  It should work.  (It does on mine, but I only played with stereo out.  Don't use it as it doesn't meet my needs.)  If you do have a problem with this, you might need to reset the mixer and reload the firmware.  Trace it down and check the signal at every point through the headphones.  Which mixer and which version of Master Fader are you using?

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 03:25:21 PM »
Hello, I’m switching to IEM’s and I’ve been playing around with a mono send and now want to try stereo so I’ve linked 5&6 and when I pan hard L or R it doesn’t work. If im in the AUX 5 jack I get center and left pan but no right and  vice versa for AUX 6. I’m guessing I may need a y splitter cable but not sure so figured I’d ask here first.. thanks.

Linking 5 and 6 means that Aux 5 now carries the left signal of your stereo pair and Aux 6 the right channel. Your in-ear amp needs to have two inputs to feed with these two signals. If it has its stereo input on a single plug (i.e. stereo TRS plug), you'll need a Y cable that sends the tip of channel 5 to the tip of the stereo plug and the tip of channel 6 to the ring of the stereo plug.

If your in-ear amp (or wireless send station) has two inputs, simply connect Aux 5 to its left and Aux 6 to its right input.

Normally you don't connect headphones directly to Aux outputs - you feed a headphone amp from the Aux; these are specifically built to the input impedance of headphones; some built specifically for in-ear monitoring also contain a limiter to protect your ears in case of audio spikes (e.g. someone plugging in a guitar or bass or a microphone generating feedback).

Cheers,

Torsten

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 03:47:14 PM »
Thank you for your responses. I’m using the Behringer P2  with a single XLR input.  I’m also pretty sure I’ve figured out what the issue is. 
Now for my latest embarrassing moment....I “forgot” to move the internal microswitch from mono to stereo!!!

Thanks Toh2002 for the L & R/ Y cable explanation.  Since the P2 uses a single XLR I’ll need the Y splitter. Do I get dual TS or TRS to XLR?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 04:00:19 PM by Trshot »

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 05:18:18 PM »
Thanks Toh2002 for the L & R/ Y cable explanation.  Since the P2 uses a single XLR I’ll need the Y splitter. Do I get dual TS or TRS to XLR?

Since a "stereo" XLR connection is unbalanced, you simply use an adapter with two TS plugs feeding one (male) XLR plug. These may not be available everywhere (not such a common adapter), so you may need to solder one yourself. Just make sure that you connect the tip of your left TS plug to pin 2 of the XLR plug and the tip of your right TS plug to pin 3. Then connect both ground shields to pin 1 - done!

Cheers,

Torsten

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 08:48:21 PM »
U can use a 2x mono jack to stereo jack with the p2
Mono jack1 in aux5 mono jack2 in aux 6, the stereo jack in p2

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 12:31:35 AM »
U can use a 2x mono jack to stereo jack with the p2
Mono jack1 in aux5 mono jack2 in aux 6, the stereo jack in p2
Yeah, but that will only work if you sit right by the mixer. Normally, your P2 sits on your belt and you want a cable of some length between the mixer and your belt pack. With an adapter to XLR, you can simply chain XLR cables until you have covered the distance. With an adapter like you describe, you will need a special cable (TRS female --> TRS male) instead of commodity XLR cables.

That's why a 2x mono to XLR adapter is better for this purpose...

Cheers,

Torsten