Author Topic: IPod input with no effects applied  (Read 4452 times)

r.welshjr

• Initiate
IPod input with no effects applied
« on: January 07, 2019, 06:39:49 PM »
Forgive my lack of knowledge, Im working with a group that has one of these mixers [dl1608) and there is a desire to play music from a 1/8 inch output (from ipods and various cell phones) into the mixer. We have a cable that we can plug into channel 16 with 1/4 stereo or channel 15&16 (can link) with a y cable that goes to two 1/4” mono. The problem they are having is that there is all kinds of verb and delay on it when we play it out the mains. I had the guy that owns the mixer show me the sends on the channels and it looked like they were all off but we were still getting heavy effects on it. He decided it must be the cable but I struggled to picture how a cable could ever add effects. I think there is some other way the channels are getting sent to effects but I do not know the unit well enough to know the possibilities to tell him to check.

What I want to do is be able to just send the music in totally bare bones and have it come out the mains the exact same way untouched except of course volume level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 07:48:20 PM by r.welshjr »

Wynnd

• Master
Re: IPod input with no effects applied
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 07:33:02 PM »
First think I would do is to turn the effects down on the effects screens and then turn them down on the L+R screen.  If the effects vanish, then there is some way that your input on those channels is getting to the Effects channels.  I don't know of any other way for the effects channels to get the microphone sends for those channels into the effects.  (Been using a DL1608 for 5 years now.  Just got a DL16S) I'll spend some time with MF 4.x and see if I can find any other source.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 07:34:05 PM »
And you could also mute the reverb and delay sends for those channels.  Just a thought.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 08:11:34 PM »
Best way to verify that the channels aren't sending to the effects.  Go to the LR all channel display and then scroll sideways to channel 16.  Go to the top of the channel to select the channel's sends screen.  On that screen there is the trim control. Near the lower right, there are the reverb and delay sends.  You shouldn't be able to see any purple and the controls should be on the left end of that.   Otherwise, the effects were turned on for those channels and you can take the control, move it left until the purple is gone and the effects should be gone too.  Let us know if you're using a version of Master Fader older than 4.x

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 10:37:47 PM »
the mixer is not adding any effects to what you are hearing, the fact that you have a stereo 3.5mm plug connected to the device playing the music is fine but....
the other end is a "stereo" plug which is really called a TRS plug (tip, ring, sleeve) and that cable is reversing the phase of the two channels of music and combining them into a single input, therefore, eliminating all the center channel sounds like: kick-drum, bass, vocals, and anything else that is typically panned to the center when the music you are listening to was mixed. 

Using a cable wired like that can definitely fry the device's output amplifier, in other words, the output of the iPad, iPhone, iPod or Android phone can be ruined for life.

The correct way to connect a device that has a 3.5mm stereo output, is with a cable that has one 3.5mm male plug on one end, and two 1/4 inch (two conductor) (mono) male plugs on the other.
You should NOT use a Y cord to combine them together for one input. You need two separate inputs to do this correctly.
And, if you need to play music into one of the XLR inputs, you must have a direct box, preferably two.
Here is the cable you need,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hosa-3-ft-3-5mm-TRS-Stereo-to-Dual-1-4-TS-Mono-Breakout-Cable-Tip-Ring-Color/222173063126?hash=item33ba8be7d6:g:aKsAAOSwq8FbL5RB:sc:USPSFirstClass!63031!US!-1:rk:3:pf:0

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 10:41:01 PM by dpdan »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 02:53:28 AM »
I've done that intentionally to remove the lead vocal in a song before.  Didn't think of that issue.  There is a polarity switch on each channel, so if this is the problem, He can probably change one channel's polarity and fix the issue.

r.welshjr

• Initiate
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 02:58:00 AM »
Best way to verify that the channels aren't sending to the effects.  Go to the LR all channel display and then scroll sideways to channel 16.  Go to the top of the channel to select the channel's sends screen.  On that screen there is the trim control. Near the lower right, there are the reverb and delay sends.  You shouldn't be able to see any purple and the controls should be on the left end of that.   Otherwise, the effects were turned on for those channels and you can take the control, move it left until the purple is gone and the effects should be gone too.  Let us know if you're using a version of Master Fader older than 4.x
We did look at that, this is why I was looking to see if we were missing anything.

r.welshjr

• Initiate
IPod input with no effects applied
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 02:59:33 AM »
the mixer is not adding any effects to what you are hearing, the fact that you have a stereo 3.5mm plug connected to the device playing the music is fine but....
the other end is a "stereo" plug which is really called a TRS plug (tip, ring, sleeve) and that cable is reversing the phase of the two channels of music and combining them into a single input, therefore, eliminating all the center channel sounds like: kick-drum, bass, vocals, and anything else that is typically panned to the center when the music you are listening to was mixed. 

Using a cable wired like that can definitely fry the device's output amplifier, in other words, the output of the iPad, iPhone, iPod or Android phone can be ruined for life.

The correct way to connect a device that has a 3.5mm stereo output, is with a cable that has one 3.5mm male plug on one end, and two 1/4 inch (two conductor) (mono) male plugs on the other.
You should NOT use a Y cord to combine them together for one input. You need two separate inputs to do this correctly.
And, if you need to play music into one of the XLR inputs, you must have a direct box, preferably two.
Here is the cable you need,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hosa-3-ft-3-5mm-TRS-Stereo-to-Dual-1-4-TS-Mono-Breakout-Cable-Tip-Ring-Color/222173063126?hash=item33ba8be7d6:g:aKsAAOSwq8FbL5RB:sc:USPSFirstClass!63031!US!-1:rk:3:pf:0
As luck would have it I already purchased a cord exactly as pictured to see if that was the issue. You are giving me hope that Im on the right path. Thank you for the good input.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 04:59:17 AM »
One more possibility.  Is your smartphone or tablet's microphone on and are you just getting a delay loop because of it?  Normally one would be putting headphones or earbuds in that connection, but an open microphone in those situations isn't a problem.  But going out to a PA system with loud speakers that becomes a sound source for the microphone which could feed the audio out of the tablet and the results would be a delay if the speakers are far away and FEEDBACK if the speakers are very close.  I always find myself having to turn the microphone off on my laptop when recording because of a similar type of issue.

Let us know what fixed your problem.

r.welshjr

• Initiate
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 11:40:35 PM »
I got a different cable and that fixed it. Weird because I have never seen a cable cause those symptoms. But it happened with the old cable, didn’t happen with the new cable, happened again when I tried the old cable again (because the way this made no sense was bugging me), and then didn’t happen with the new cable again. So whatever. Life goes on, problem solved, and I am once again reminded that there are things in this world I do not know.