Author Topic: Embeded WiFi module  (Read 3599 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Embeded WiFi module
« on: December 04, 2018, 07:18:52 PM »
Does anyone have the part # or at least the Manufacturer of Mackie's DLxxS series WiFi module? You can get it on an Android tablet (not the phone) version of WiFi Analyzer in the list view on the far right. It would tell us a lot more from the Mfg. than Mackie.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 07:13:06 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Embedded WiFi module
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 09:20:00 PM »
Since Wynnd has already experienced poor performance in the embedded WiFi and I'm sure he's not alone can someone here check the Mfg. or better yet the chip set used by Mackie? Wego do you have access to a Android tab?
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Embeded WiFi module
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 03:14:57 PM »
Except for risking the warranty, I'd be inclined to open up the case and document it.  I've been opening laptops for years and closing them back up without causing problems.  (or leaving scars.)   Got to admit that I love schematics. 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 04:47:40 PM »
No need to open it up if you can find someone with a Android Tablet. The App Wifi Analyzer will tell you what Manufacturer or model is being used. That would narrow it down quite a bit. A excellent free app. I know of no iOS App that will do that.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 07:29:57 PM »
I have istumbler on my MacBook.  Will check it out with that.  Opened iStumbler and it still had the last connection with the DL16S WiFi.  Signal strength was 4 out of 10, S/N 35db, Signal -46adbm, Noise -81 dbm, Est Dist 4.5 meters (Real distance was 2 meters)  Vendor was 2C-D9-74 (Probably what you were looking for.)   For comparison one of my neighbors has a 2.4 Ghz WiFi router with a similar signal strength that claims to be 15 feet away, and can't actually be less than 30 feet away and through at least two exterior walls.  Really, my DL16S is a WiFi wimp!  (And I don't actually know where his WiFi router is located in his house.)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 07:09:34 PM »
That was what I needed, thanks. That FYI is the OUI (Organization Unique Identifier) which with Dr. Google's help led me to GSD Smart-link.  http://www.gaosd.cn/en/products.htm?sortid=0_27    They have about 4 modules that would meet Mackie's spec description but they have no b/g only modules (obsolete), they are all b/g/n but 2.4Ghz only. Probably the cheapest they had to offer was picked. Mostly Realtek based and most likely the RTL8189ES. The next step would be a eyeball on the board. They also have current /ac modules and combo WiFi/Bluetooth units. To bad they chose the junk.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 07:44:58 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 07:30:58 PM »
Had a talk with my neighbor and his WiFi has to be more than 50 feet away and I can’t see the 5 GHz band from my home, only the 2.4 GHz which has longer distance capabilities. 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 07:57:08 PM »
Yeah about five years ago I could see about five to seven AP''s now it's about fifty. How times have changed. I use a PC based Net Surveyor by Nuts-about-Nets (free version). I'm in a residential neighborhood with fair sized lots not an apartment complex nearby.
When in doubt KISS