Author Topic: iOS DL16S experience  (Read 27922 times)

Weogo

• Knight
Re: iOS DL16S experience
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2019, 03:26:49 PM »
Hi Y'all,

I've done a couple gigs on the DL16S.
For both I used the built-in WiFi and it worked fine.
Had good signal at the back wall of the venue, about 60', no drop-outs.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2019, 06:08:16 PM »
It sounds to me like Mackie has a quality issue with the WiFi on these units.  If you get a good one, no problem.  If you get one like mine, you had better have an external router.  Could just be the antenna.  My aftermarket one was much better.  It was about twice the length. 

Comment on Software development:  My Wife's firm only manages to deliver software on a very conservative schedule about 75% of the time.  Major corporation, large IT department.  Mackie can't be expected to do the same.  I actually wonder how big their software development team is.  (Barbara and I met studying computer science back in the punch card ages.)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2019, 10:24:26 PM »
Wynnd let me suggest that you read my tests on the X-Air experiences.  http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=1476.0   .
There are no "quality issues" just design issues regarding designing in several obsolete products into the DL16/32S.
As to your "software experiences" let me say that in my 50 years of dealing with Systems (Hardware and Software) where I was either in charge of or part of a team very few deadlines were missed. Do you understand penalty clauses or bonuses in contracts. My range of projects included guidance systems for nuclear weapons to 24/7/365 industrial inventory systems. Communications wise I designed the field comm for USAF MATS modified X.25 protocol in the 1990's . So in a nutshell most of what I dealt with had little room for error, hence the root of my critical approach to this MI business, although probably unfair, since there is a large disparity in costs. It is however no excuse to do poor engineering. What has happened to the innovation at Mackie?
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2019, 10:45:34 PM »
Your experience doesn't match mine, but I will be impressed.  (As I should be.)   And I'm watching my Son and Daughter-in-law build a custom home with an unusual design.  Construction schedule keeps falling behind, so in spite of a lot of extra time being built in, we are just hoping it's done before the Constuction loan becomes due in May.  Meeting deadlines seems to be a universal problem. (Space X, Tesla, Apple Corp......)  You'll have to pardon me if  I a bit jaded.

Bufalo

• Youngling
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2019, 02:51:35 PM »
Another gig on the DL16S last night and the best thing I can say is that nothing is different compared to my many gigs on the 1608.  I have been using the built in wireless without issue. I put a high gain antenna on it just because I had it laying around, but I'm not sure it's necessary for my usage.

I do notice that in MF5, the controls seem less responsive; not sure if this is by design. It feels like there's a bit more delay before a fader "glows and grows" compared to previous versions. Hasn't been a problem yet, but I liked the old sensitivity better.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2019, 03:24:09 PM »
Some haven't had any issues with the built in WiFi.  I'm only guessing that it is a flaw in quality control somewhere.  My DL16S clearly has weak WiFi.  Could be just the antenna, but it's really not my personal specialty and I'm fine with using the external Airport Express II.   I'm not noticing any delay on responsiveness, but I'm mostly using a one year old iPad Pro and that seems delightfully responsive, but I was using a iPad II on my 1608.  It was a huge upgrade in my world.  There are some nice improvements in MF 5 that will be available on the 1608 this year.  None of them are requirements, but they are all useful.  I still like to set Master Fader up for a show over breakfast with the actual mixer no where near.  That is one feature that many of the tablet controlled mixers don't seem able to do.  Thanks Bufalo for your input.

Bufalo

• Youngling
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2019, 04:42:49 PM »
Yes, I absolutely set up my shows before the gig as well! I have most permutations of my band's sound saved as presets, but I load and tweak them during the afternoon before a show while the wife and kids are napping.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2019, 04:40:36 AM »
Wynnd you could easily test the range of the AP embedded unit that you claim is defective, just find a football field (300ft) and see if you loose connection. Do it when no one's there (no cellphones). Then you will realize that it's all about 2.4GHz traffic not a defect. Your iPad should have at least a 200ft range. There are plenty of WiFi analyzers Apps on iPhone to verify the results.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2019, 08:38:35 PM »
I can vouch that my airport express II can reach 135 feet on 5 ghz band with no drops.  But Even at a library, the mixer's own WiFi was having dropouts over 2 feet of distance with a few other WiFi's in the area and a 2010 MacBook Pro in the middle.  Surely there were a lot of cell phones as libraries are busy nowadays.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2019, 08:41:12 PM »
Just looked and the MacBook Pro has a 2.4 Ghz processor.  That's only an internal processor speed, but any thoughts about interference because of it?  Of course, iStumbler doesn't see it.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2019, 04:19:05 AM »
Any issues with the MacBook Pro would have never passed the FCC test. Still comes down to frequency overload issues. In the WiFi world it's known as OBSS (Overlapping Basic Service Set). Too many AP's and clients on the same frequency. So what is the "too many" number? I've seen numbers such as 20 considered high density and if Apple rates their Airport Express at 50 that's certainly a limit. Remember that it's also not just about a number but also what is being transmitted by each of these clients and the ability of the AP in handling the load.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 04:26:56 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2019, 08:11:05 PM »
This morning while setting my tablet up for tonight's show, the fader screen wouldn't scroll left/right.  I saved the current show, closed the app and restarted the app.  Just a small glitch but unsetting.  Really folks, I really haven't experienced much that could be called problems. And after 40 years of computer experience, that's about as small an oops that ever occurs. 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2019, 09:11:02 PM »
I wouldn't call the fader screen locking up a small glitch. Since you tried another screen did you then go back to the fader screen or did you have to exit as the only option?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:16:39 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2019, 07:46:00 AM »
I could adjust anything I could see, but I couldn't pan left or right to see the additional channels.  I switched screens in several different directions and when I returned to the fader screen, I still couldn't pan.  I ended up closing the app completely then reopening it and reloading my saved show.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2019, 04:36:44 PM »
Have you informed Mackie of this? It sure sounds like a bug to me, hopefully not like the White Noise issue. Could you add it to the bug list here.   http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=1465.0
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 04:42:00 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS