Author Topic: iOS DL16S experience  (Read 27921 times)

Wynnd

• Master
iOS DL16S experience
« on: December 29, 2018, 12:59:56 AM »
Just got my DL16S.  Currently updating the firmware and have put a timer on it as the "progress Bar" seems to not be progressing.  (Not even initially.)  I'm going to report my experience as things go alone for a while.  I've got a gig in a week and would like to use this.  Yes, I will be bringing a back up mixer as is my habit.  (Can't remember the last time I've had any type of mixer failure out of 50 years of gigging.)  I'm also going to be providing sound for the speeches at the end of the Martin Luther King Jr Marade.  (March + Parade = Marade)  I haven't decided if I'm going to rack mount it.  (I usually do.) Anyway, feel free to follow me on this journey.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 03:32:37 AM by Wynnd »

Wynnd

• Master
Re: DL16S experience
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 01:49:23 AM »
I updated the firmware, but I had to use the abort button as my tablet switched back to my home network.  After reconnecting to the DL16S, I was given the chance to update and this time, keeping my tablet close to the mixer, it updated just fine, but as soon as it rebooted, my iPad reconnected to my home network.  Anyway, reconnecting to the DL16S allowed a full finish.  I'm looking forward to being able to do this through my MacBook Pro via network cable.  (If that ever becomes an option.)   I'm going to review the known bugs as I'm seeing some and don't yet know if they are known yet.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: iOS DL16S experience
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 02:33:00 AM »
Good luck on your new mixer. If you would rename the title to iOS DL16S experience it would be great and everyone using iPad's would be able to post and  find solutions to their problems here and share in your experiences. I'm about to deal with the Android (offline) experiences in a separate post.
Cheers
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 03:32:10 AM »
Good idea.  Thanks.

I have two iPads that survive to Master Fader 5.x   One is a iPad mini and the other is a fairly new 10.25" iPad Pro.  I also have an iPhone 6CE, but not likely to use it for the mixer much.  (Software is installed.)  Maybe loan it to one of my bandmates for monitor duties.  I will be asking my Android bandmates to install MF 5.  Mostly they are scared of touching the PA.  That is probably a good thing.  We shall see.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 03:42:06 AM by Wynnd »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 05:40:54 PM »
I've been using Master Fader since 2013.  Love the improvements.  Use VCAs all the time.  Rarely use Groups.  I do use View Groups.  Rarely use Mute Groups.  So I wasn't expecting much to learn now.  The Ocillator threw me.  Sure I have one in my phone and I have the adapter cables to connect it.  Was looking forward to using the built in one.  Bit of a learning curve there and at least now I get it.  One of my bands wants to do "Won't Get Fooled Again" and it looks to me like the effects combined just might pull that sound off.  Now I'm wondering if I can use the patch panel from one effect to the next effect.  (Song requires two effects that weren't available before.) If I can make this work, I will report exactly how I did it.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 01:55:45 AM »
I finally got around to picking up my iPad mini to test it with the DL16S.  Initially I couldn't see the mixer even though I was on the correct network.  Rebooted the iPad and it showed up.  Unlike MF4x, the mixer doesn't announce it's connecting up.  I was able to accidentally erase a show configuration without attempting to. Just going to have to recreate it.  The show that the mixer was running continued to run, but the snapshot was gone.  I just made another.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 02:30:18 AM »
I was trying to attach my computer to the mixer via USB for recording.  That hasn't done for me yet.  Trying to figure out what I'm not doing. 

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 03:21:35 AM »
Hi Wynnd,

I know for PC recording there's a driver that needs to be installed.
I don't know if this is needed, or available, for a Mac?

Thanks for the running updates!

A DL16S will be here soon.

Good health,  Weogo

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 05:36:44 AM »
I’ve got a henge dock for my MacBook Pro.  I’ve had a few problems with the USB extensions.  Will need to try the computer out of the dock. 

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 05:35:23 PM »
OK, my MacBook hooked up directly to the USB port works fine.  (Guess I’ve got a problem with my HengeDock USB extensions.  Been using that for 8 years.  May need to reseat them?)   While I was using the mixer and the MacBook, I was watching my iPad kick in and out of connection.  Did this over at a library and there are numerous WiFi’s there.  That would be marginal and unwanted.  Going to take my Airport Express and see if I can get the external router to work in this case.  The airport express II is 2.4 and 5 GHZ bands.  I’ve been using it almost exclusively on the 5 GHZ band.  (Separate names for the two bands.). I couldn’t get the mixer to find my local WiFi so that isn’t a viable suggestion. 

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 05:42:07 PM »
FYI, I was a PC/Network tech previously and don’t think I’m doing anything wrong WiFi wise. 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 07:59:37 PM »
FYI, I was a PC/Network tech previously and don’t think I’m doing anything wrong WiFi wise.
I hate to admit it but we All make mistakes at times  :). As a summary of your WiFI hookups so far out of the three modes:
AP mode works but starts to fail with high traffic in the 2.4 GHz band. No surprise here.
WiFi Client mode you were unable to make it work?
Wired mode to a AE yet to be completed?
Not sure what you meant by "I couldn’t get the mixer to find my local WiFi so that isn’t a viable suggestion."

FYI here is  Dimitri of Mackie EU with some details of the PC/Mac version.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIaSoDke1nc
Cheers
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 08:50:51 PM »
In MF5 when attempting to do the WiFi client, it is supposed to give a list of WiFis it sees.  Mine apparently doesn’t see any of them and is within 10 feet of a two band router.  Wondering if it’s working correctly?  Mine are password protected,but that shouldn’t matter.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 04:28:10 AM »
Does airport utility on your iPad see the Airport Express? If so then perhaps the DL16S just needs the old power cycle for the mixer to be seen? For those of you not familiar with the details of WiFi the beacon message from the AP send every ~100 ms contains most of whats needed to address a Access Point by a client (iPad). The rest should be asked for (ie. password) to complete the connection. There is also in non-tech lingo a broadcast message (reaches all that are on that network) send out by the client that in essence says "who is out there". Another way to discover a AP. Mackie unfortunately doesn't provide such details in their write-up. Behringer provided a terribly confusing write-up for WiFi/wired for X-Air but in this case Mackie has them beat, so unlike Mackie  :(.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 05:14:12 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 05:02:33 AM »
Was thinking about the issues that might cause that problem.  I had the network wired to the mixer.  That probably was the problem and your query got me to try it disconnected and this time, it saw every network in the immediate neighborhood.  I made the changes and am now looking at The stability of this.  Right now I'm on the 2.4 GHtz band.  I want to check it out on the 5 Ghtz band that talk across the router.  Looking good so far.