Author Topic: DL32R channels not working - Performing surgery today...  (Read 17510 times)

Lownote

• Initiate
Re: DL32R channels not working - Performing surgery today...
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2019, 02:18:00 AM »
I twice fixed missing channels in my DL32R by pulling the ribbon cables and treating the connectors with Deoxit.  Be aware that there are two connection points at each end of a ribbon.  One is the connector pin that mates to the connector pinon the board (that one's obvious), and the other is where the cable connector has been crimped onto the cable.  The invisible end of the pin is shaped like a V and pierces the plastic ribbon to contact its conductor inside the ribbon.  So check that the ribbon cable is well-seated into its connector, and pushing the ribbon firmly against the connector can help.

I am very disappointed that Mackie would use a ribbon cable for sensitive analog signals.  A ribbon cable is designed to convey discrete 5V/0V digital levels for computer bus applications.   Sure it may work, but clearly it is not reliable.  I lost a lot of confidence in Mackie when I saw that.  But otherwise the DL32R is a great unit, so I'll keep it until I discover a functionally equivalent competitor.

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
Re: DL32R channels not working - Performing surgery today...
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2019, 04:26:57 PM »
I twice fixed missing channels in my DL32R by pulling the ribbon cables and treating the connectors with Deoxit.  Be aware that there are two connection points at each end of a ribbon.  One is the connector pin that mates to the connector pinon the board (that one's obvious), and the other is where the cable connector has been crimped onto the cable.  The invisible end of the pin is shaped like a V and pierces the plastic ribbon to contact its conductor inside the ribbon.  So check that the ribbon cable is well-seated into its connector, and pushing the ribbon firmly against the connector can help.

I am very disappointed that Mackie would use a ribbon cable for sensitive analog signals.  A ribbon cable is designed to convey discrete 5V/0V digital levels for computer bus applications.   Sure it may work, but clearly it is not reliable.  I lost a lot of confidence in Mackie when I saw that.  But otherwise the DL32R is a great unit, so I'll keep it until I discover a functionally equivalent competitor.

On my older DL32R (bought right after they were released), I experienced this problem so many times that I finally bought a second DL32R with the intention of sending the out of warranty device in for repair.

The newer unit has never had a problem - everything works great and has since day one.  I never got around to sending the old one in and use it for a backup.

Don't know what's different between the newer one and the older one - better components?