Author Topic: WiFi the weak link in the chain  (Read 12283 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: WiFi the weak link in the chain
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2019, 10:07:14 PM »
Steve, OK having dug further into a "Marketing Claim of 5G" I came across pics of a Ui24R and it's various components.  This showed a RealteK RTL 8192  b/g/n chip that is a single (2.4GHz) frequency chip. Checking their manual there is no mention of the 5GHz range. Yet many users mention 5GHz as a option. So what is reality? Are the pics outdated or wrong or is there another answer to this? I will have to go to someone that has one of this units along with my phone to verify the existence of 5GHz radio. That's why I never trust marketing BS.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:10:39 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 09:05:44 PM »
Steve, OK having dug further into a "Marketing Claim of 5G" I came across pics of a Ui24R and it's various components.  This showed a RealteK RTL 8192  b/g/n chip that is a single (2.4GHz) frequency chip. Checking their manual there is no mention of the 5GHz range. Yet many users mention 5GHz as a option. So what is reality? Are the pics outdated or wrong or is there another answer to this? I will have to go to someone that has one of this units along with my phone to verify the existence of 5GHz radio. That's why I never trust marketing BS.

It's in the manual, page 1 of "Introduction of Ui"

*Integrated Dual Antenna 2.4G and 5G Wi-Fi and LAN connection

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 09:25:49 PM »
That's the Marketing BS I was talking about. Normally there would at minimum be a choice of dual SSID and possibly one or the other or auto in setup. I don't see it. I'm also not aware of a separate 5G radio chip for WiFi which brings me to having a analyzer check for the 5GHz Beacon signal (in the 5G range to verify the obvious). Apps such as Android WiFi Analyzer, WiFi Explorer or iOS's Airport utility will provide that. The V1 manual and all three addendum's have no mention of any 5GHZ WiFi other than the marketing BS that you pointed out. This puts Soundcraft in with the rest of the 2 other Mfg. with one significant exception. The Ui has a 10/100/1000 Ethernet (1Ghz) interface thus allowing you to take full advantage of the current crop of WiFi router.  :thu:

P.S. Steve it would take you about a minute to verify this  :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 06:00:07 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Harpman

• Knight
  • 的f music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 10:52:58 PM »
That's the Marketing BS I was talking about. Normally there would at minimum be a choice of dual SSID and possibly one or the other or auto in setup. I don't see it. I'm also not aware of a separate 5G radio chip for WiFi which brings me to having a analyzer check for the 5GHz Beacon signal (in the 5G range to verify the obvious). Apps such as Android WiFi Analyzer, WiFi Explorer or iOS's Airport utility will provide that. The V1 manual and all three addendum's have no mention of any 5GHZ WiFi other than the marketing BS that you pointed out. This puts Soundcraft in with the rest of the 2 other Mfg. with one significant exception. The Ui has a 10/100/1000 Ethernet (1Ghz) interface thus allowing you to take full advantage of the current crop of WiFi router.  :thu:

Hey Bill, good to see your still around and kicking. Being in the IT trenches for as long as I have really shows that music equipment manufacturers still lag behind the current technologies out there.  They are starting to catch up, but more at a snails pace IMHO.  Still happy with my MR32c, gave the DL1608 to a friend who uses it for karaoke and my XR18 is still my backup (mostly a dust connector). I run wired if at all possible, but use an external Linksys AC3200 for the most part. Rarely have ANY WiFi issues except a rare occasional disconnect/reconnect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 10:26:44 PM »

Hey Bill, good to see your still around and kicking. Being in the IT trenches for as long as I have really shows that music equipment manufacturers still lag behind the current technologies out there.  They are starting to catch up, but more at a snails pace IMHO.  Still happy with my MR32c, gave the DL1608 to a friend who uses it for karaoke and my XR18 is still my backup (mostly a dust connector). I run wired if at all possible, but use an external Linksys AC3200 for the most part. Rarely have ANY WiFi issues except a rare occasional disconnect/reconnect.

I see you're in Temecula. How do you like it there? It's up high on my list of places to move before retiring. Wife & I want o get down there this year. She works in the wine industry. Sorry for the topic swerve.

WK, I was on the Soundcraft Ui forum and asked about the 5G wifi (they call it hotspot). It's definitely in the box, and the controls are in the settings page. Many are using it (5G only) with good success. I still plan on using an external router though.

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2019, 04:39:42 PM »
No problem Steve on the topic swerve.  Really enjoy it out here. I live in a city just north of Temecula (Menifee). Quite the music scene In Temecula. A handful of wineries are decent here, but I知 from the Napa area so a bit of a wine snob LOL. What area are you living now?

Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2019, 06:15:49 PM »
No problem Steve on the topic swerve.  Really enjoy it out here. I live in a city just north of Temecula (Menifee). Quite the music scene In Temecula. A handful of wineries are decent here, but I知 from the Napa area so a bit of a wine snob LOL. What area are you living now?

We're in Woodinville, WA, a small eastside suburb of Seattle (about 10k). I have a pretty good music scene around here, just tired of the weather and ready for a change. Our town is wine central, with over 90 wineries. My house is worth a ton of money, and we'll downsize to something much smaller when we move, so that will work in my favor. Glad to hear you like it there - perhaps I'll reach out when we get down there for a visit.

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 03:55:35 AM »

We're in Woodinville, WA, a small eastside suburb of Seattle (about 10k). I have a pretty good music scene around here, just tired of the weather and ready for a change. Our town is wine central, with over 90 wineries. My house is worth a ton of money, and we'll downsize to something much smaller when we move, so that will work in my favor. Glad to hear you like it there - perhaps I'll reach out when we get down there for a visit.

Was a Microsoft instructor for many years and made many trips to Redmond.  Overcast and rain aren稚 my cup of tea. You can get a good amount of land here. Very expensive to life in Seattle and surrounding suburbs these days. Most definitely reach out when you come down here for a visit. Send me your contact info to gio@stefanientertainment.com and I値l send you my phone contact info. 

Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 05:21:54 AM »

I'll have to agree with you on that and I have been pointing this out for quite some time on this forum. It appears that the communications links are the most behind hence this post. Been busy the last weeks upgrading my wife's chorus audio equipment. It been 5 years since I originally designed it and their requirements have changed along with their rehearsal hall. State tune on that lots of surprises.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 05:47:46 AM »
Steve: Since I didn't hear from you for some time I did dig into the WiFi chip further and as it turns out Realtek apparently designed a a/b/g/n version of an otherwise b/g/n chip series. The RTL8192DU is that chip and the spec sheets have mysteriously vanished from their site but it's real. I made the assumption that the chip series was only 2.4 GHz which all their other variants are. Most manufacturers would have given it another part number instead of a modifier, live and learn. It is however wise to use a more modern WiFi router. I am also surprised when I read it that they called it a Hot spot which it clearly is not, it's a AP. Unfortunately Apple only made the Airport Extreme 6th gen to /ac specs and 1GHZ Ethernet. iPad Air 2 on up, mini 4 on up and the Pro series all handle /ac.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:38:16 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 07:06:53 PM »

Was a Microsoft instructor for many years and made many trips to Redmond.  Overcast and rain aren稚 my cup of tea. You can get a good amount of land here. Very expensive to life in Seattle and surrounding suburbs these days. Most definitely reach out when you come down here for a visit. Send me your contact info to gio@stefanientertainment.com and I値l send you my phone contact info. 

Very generous - thanks!