Author Topic: things you do with your DL mixer  (Read 3917 times)

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
things you do with your DL mixer
« on: February 23, 2019, 01:48:34 AM »
This topic is just for fun.
Share what things you do with your DL mixer that you think are cool.
Maybe something you think other users are not aware of that they too could do.
Share your unique jobs, events, or places where you have used your DL mixer.

Maybe post pictures and mention which DL mixer you have.

I'll start it off,

I use a DL32R with a Dante card installed that connects to the DC16 Axis controller for jobs that justify a console.
Last weekend I provided sound for the Ambassadors of Harmony Gala, it was a fund raiser for scholarships to their summer Acappellooza that they provide each year.

And here is my little mix room

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 04:46:45 AM by dpdan »

iwerica

• Youngling
Re: things you do with your DL mixer
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 04:54:53 PM »
Acapella project (male singers) on first bridge with PA and dl1608 and myself with masterfader on another bridge 50m away...

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 09:50:59 PM »
very cool   :)
It is nice to see that you used a high pass filter on the vocal mics!
Good goin!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 03:57:21 AM by dpdan »

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 05:55:18 PM »
First pic, my Friday night gig using SRX portable system & my light show. The Retros - 80's MTV band (with sync'd mtv videos for every song on the tv screens). Venue was McMimanims in Bothell, WA.

Second pic, Hair Nation at the Lime in Kirkland, WA. I've been with them for 6 years and I also work the club. They have an X32 compact in the back of the room, but I just bring my DL in and mix from within the crowd. These lights are a combination of the club's, mine, and other band members. It's a lot of work to set up, but we love it and the place is always packed. We're doing this show again next Saturday.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 06:00:15 PM »
cool Steve!
What DL mixer are you using?
When you say SRX portable system,,, what is that? JBL SRXxxx?
gotta love the fog :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 06:03:05 PM by dpdan »

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 06:44:23 PM »
cool Steve!
What DL mixer are you using?
When you say SRX portable system,,, what is that? JBL SRXxxx?
gotta love the fog :)

I've been mixing on a DL1608 for 6 years now. Yes, the JBL SRX 800 series rig, 815's over a single 818 per side. I works wonderfully at an outdoor park concert series I do every year in Kirkland, WA. My entire PA and light show fits in a minivan. Pic below is from the Kirkland concert series, which has attendance at up to 1000 people.

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 02:41:44 AM »
A little video of one of the Greek festivals we recently performed at (Cincinnati Ohio). Use my DL32r to mix my 4 piece band and distribute sound to foh plus 3 additional zones. On breaks I dj using a second iPad running dJay. This setup we used KSI Sound out of Greenville Ohio using Kevin’s RCF array rig, 4 per side atop 4x18” subs as well as a couple of additional subs under stage. The mixer never skipped a beat. Went from a 1608 to the 32r a couple of years ago. Still travel with the 1608 when we fly to gigs. It fits in a backpack I carry on, and the venue provides foh, works well. Love the Master fader app. Looking forward to mf5.

https://www.facebook.com/Yorgaki1/videos/10217121391009558/

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 04:08:40 AM »
Yorgaki1, I couldn't watch the video but would like to.
It says...
Sorry, this content isn't available right now.
Master Fader is the ticket,,,

Nice Steve that it fits in a minivan, how cool is that?
I can't wait to do outdoor jobs once winter gets out of here, it is so fun,, work yes, sweat yes, heck yes, but oh so rewarding :)

When I looked at your picture it is very much like a setup that I use for a gob of wedding receptions. One powered sub and one powered top speaker on each side.
I made something that you and probably many people would be interested in for your setup.

The mixer is usually on one side or the other, so we need to run two XLR cables to each side, one for sub, and one for the top.
Since I have always made my own snakes, mic cables, speaker cables etc., I bought some four conductor mic cable and I put two XLR connectors on each end, this way I only need to run one cable to each side.
They share pin 1 shield as do most stereo microphones and the cable remains balanced as usual.
Here's a couple of pics,...
On the male end, one of the cables is longer to reach up to the top cabinet.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 04:55:41 AM by dpdan »

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 06:01:55 PM »
Yea, that picture is from 2 years ago and I've since cleaned things up a bit. The big cable coming down from the mains is the power cord for the lights, which I've cleaned up and improved. I typically drop a sub snake with 12 inputs and 4 returns behind one speaker main. This park gig requires that we back in and through down the stage as quickly as possible - same thing leaving, so we don't get to spend a lot of time making things neat. I started buying liability insurance due to the little kids wandering on stage. In this case it was a performers daughter.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 06:41:00 PM »
it's all part of "LIVE"  :)