Author Topic: Mackie Prodx4 connections and peaking  (Read 2159 times)

pmontym

• Initiate
Mackie Prodx4 connections and peaking
« on: March 05, 2019, 01:55:14 PM »
I have a Prodx4 en route, and I want to verify my understanding based on my research. So, I have 2 questions:

1) I made a quick connection diagram, wondering if someone could verify that the PA cabling should be 1/4"TRS - XLRM, as shown in RED.

2) I saw a comment on Youtube saying this unit peaks very easily - is this a common issue, and can it be mitigated by backing off the mic, and slightly reducing the output from the guitar DI?

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: Mackie Prodx4 connections and peaking
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 02:55:57 AM »
Hi pmontym,
welcome to the forum!

You are correct, for the main left and right outputs, you should use cables with a TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) balanced male 1/4" plug on one end,
and a male XLR plug on the other end to connect to your speakers, amp or other gear.

The outputs are balanced, line level, and the audio signal is balanced just as it would be if it were a balanced XLR output.
Manufacturers use these TRS connectors for a couple of reasons, they are a little cheaper, but they take up less space than an XLR output.

As far as the unit peaking (clipping), making the sound distorted, well, that may be possible since the gain is auto sensing. Most likely that comment was stated on youtube by a person who simply does not like Mackie products and it is possible that for them, it did distort too easily.
Your mileage may vary :)

You are also correct on your assumption that if you do observe distortion, then yes, backing off the mic a little and lowering the guitar's volume will help.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 02:58:37 AM by dpdan »

pmontym

• Initiate
Re: Mackie Prodx4 connections and peaking
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 11:57:23 AM »
Thanks for the peer-check, just wanted to make sure I was on the right track!