Author Topic: So what's happening with Mackie MF5 and DL32R these days?  (Read 10858 times)

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
So what's happening with Mackie MF5 and DL32R these days?
« on: March 14, 2019, 03:02:28 PM »
It looks like we are hardly discussing Mackie these days.

I still enjoy using my Mackie products, but others I know are leaving theirs behind as they fail or people upgrade. It seems that the Behringer line is now the most popular with the acts in my area (Upstate SC).

The worst thing for me is that my iPads are aging - one recently suffered a broken screen and I don't want to repair it (again), it's just not worth it, too old. Another is an iPad 3 that is super old. And new band members who have Androids rely on MY iPads.

If the MasterFader that supports Android becomes a reality for my old DL32R, then maybe I can get some more use out of these DL32Rs, but now I'm back to looking at other options so we can have all band members controlling their mix with whatever device they have handy.  Android tablets are CHEAP!

stevegarris

• Knight
Re: So what's happening with Mackie MF5 and DL32R these days?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 04:24:35 PM »
Brand new iPads are down to about $280 right now. I have 2 of the latest models, and love the processing power and better wifi range.

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 04:27:06 PM »
Brand new iPads are down to about $280 right now. I have 2 of the latest models, and love the processing power and better wifi range.

And Androids are 50 bucks on sale.... heh

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 04:33:11 PM »
Support for your DL32R is coming.  Master Fader 5 currently only runs on the DL16S and DL32S.  (I've got the 16)  Master Fader 5.1 is scheduled to support your mixer in July.  Don't know if they can meet that schedule, but there's a lot to like about the newer software.  Master Fader 5 is supposed to work on Androids today, but I don't own one that can use it.  My old iPads can't make the move, but I had a mini that worked and bought an iPad pro so I'm back to having a backup.  (Old good habit.)  Master Fader 5.0.2 is supposed to be out this month but I haven't seen it yet.  Here's hoping it's not vaporware.  One more thing, Master Fader 5.1 is also supposed to run on Macs and Windows computers for control of the mixer.  I'm looking forward to that. 

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 05:20:39 PM »
the newest iPad at Best Buy is $249.00.

MR7F2LL/A
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ipad-latest-model-with-wi-fi-32gb-space-gray/5201300.p?skuId=5201300

I don't like Best Buy but they do have the cheapest price around.

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 05:24:35 PM »

Android tablet == 50 bucks... Cheaper than replacing the screen in an ipad.   I do not wish to buy 6 ipads for my band to use and replace screens.

The 10" fire tablet I bought on sale for 70 bucks runs MF5 well (though I cannot test it fullly out since my mixer doesn't support it)

I see absolutely no benefit in using an iPad at all.   I don't use other software on them, they simply run the MF app, that's it.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 03:45:04 PM »
John back to your original question of schedules here was my guess before the departure of Ben Olswang.
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=1430.msg17596#msg17596
Simply put add 2 months or now 3 to their published schedule for a reality factor.
Word of caution, the grass isn't greener on the other side (B.....).
When in doubt KISS

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 05:26:25 PM »

I see absolutely no benefit in using an iPad at all.   I don't use other software on them, they simply run the MF app, that's it.

Isn't it the only option right now for those of us with a DL1608 or DL32?  I wait at least 6 months before doing MF updates. Let others work the bugs out first.

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 05:50:09 PM »
Isn't it the only option right now for those of us with a DL1608 or DL32?  I wait at least 6 months before doing MF updates. Let others work the bugs out first.

Nope, I've got one other option....   Get a mixer that supports Android as well as Apple, and other devices.   There are a couple options for that, and with as many iPads as I need to replace at this point in time, it would likely be cheaper to do so. =/

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 10:14:11 PM »
May i chime in please.

I really loved my 1608 and now I love my DL32r even more.  I have purchased in the past two of the Behringer 16 channel digital mixers.  The last one I ditched when I discovered I couldn't leave the IEM mix running for the band when I muted the FOH for a break.

For me that was the tie breaker.

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 10:48:23 PM »
May i chime in please.

I really loved my 1608 and now I love my DL32r even more.  I have purchased in the past two of the Behringer 16 channel digital mixers.  The last one I ditched when I discovered I couldn't leave the IEM mix running for the band when I muted the FOH for a break.

For me that was the tie breaker.

We have IEMs and it does suck to have to mute ALL the FOH, including my break music, so we can learn a song in a break =)
There has to be a better way.   Wish mute groups could be applied to FOH only, that would rock....

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 03:14:22 AM »
I have an answer for you guys that don't want to have to mute the mains and break music when you want to use IEM's to go over some music without it being heard in the mains.

On all of your IEM mixes, it is likely that you already have them set as PRE-FADER, and that's good. In that same small window that is just above the MUTE button for each mix output, there is an option to "Use LR Mute". Uncheck that. Each musician now has their own input channel MUTES which are now labeled AUX MUTE instead of MUTE. The FOH person would indeed mute the live mics and instrument channels with a mute master for convenience, but because each IEM is PRE-FADER, and is not controlled by the FOH mutes, Master Fader can do what you are wishing for. One drawback to this setup is that now the FOH person is no longer in charge of the mutes for IEMs. However.... he or she could setup a VCA that could have all IEM mix masters assigned to it, then when the FOH person hits mute on the "IEM" VCA,.... everyone's IEM gets muted.

Lot's of options   :)     
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:05:28 AM by dpdan »

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 02:58:02 PM »
Well now, that sounds interesting....    I have a show tonight, but will play with this at the next rehearsal....    One of the boards I used at a church many years ago had a feature to unlock the channel mutes from the L+R mains mix and that allowed the band to communicate without anything going out front.   
The only problem was when someone would have floor wedge and the sound guy would mute the guitarist's channel and that floor wedge had the guitar through it still and he started wailing on some riff or changed instruments and created a pop during "the message" or something and the entire choir would jump simultaneously and exclaim in unison, sometimes profanities =)

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 04:27:02 PM »
I have an answer for you guys that don't want to have to mute the mains and break music when you want to use IEM's to go over some music without it being heard in the mains.

On all of your IEM mixes, it is likely that you already have them set as PRE-FADER, and that's good. In that same small window that is just above the MUTE button for each mix output, there is an option to "Use LR Mute". Uncheck that. Each musician now has their own input channel MUTES which are now labeled AUX MUTE instead of MUTE. The FOH person would indeed mute the live mics and instrument channels with a mute master for convenience, but because each IEM is PRE-FADER, and is not controlled by the FOH mutes, Master Fader can do what you are wishing for. One drawback to this setup is that now the FOH person is no longer in charge of the mutes for IEMs. However.... he or she could setup a VCA that could have all IEM mix masters assigned to it, then when the FOH person hits mute on the "IEM" VCA,.... everyone's IEM gets muted.

Additionally you can set up a special mute group that includes the monitors or IEM's. I've used the LR Mute unchecked before even with live monitors.

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 08:39:05 PM »

Are you speaking about Behringer