Author Topic: Master fader App  (Read 5088 times)

ospdk

• Initiate
Master fader App
« on: March 15, 2019, 08:47:28 AM »
Hi

Total new in forum and sound mixer, so hope some one can help me  :thu:

Yesterday i had my debut withe Mackie DL806 and Master Fader 4 in front of 250 people, and in the beginning it didn't go very well  :(
Sound was like the lecture on stage was inside a can and had the room howling, after 5 minutes i get better hold on it and at last is was ok  8)
But i have some beginner questions i hope some one can help me with :

1. Stereo input (the guy on stage had a pc with and i input the sound on channel 7 and 8 isn't it possible to get the sound from 3,5mm jack from pc direct to one channel input ore must it be 2 because of stereo ?)
2. Is it possible to link up 2 input so there is only one fader for that group ? (can also be used for question 1)
3. Is it possible to have the same eq viewer control with columns like on the master fader, on ch 1-8 (i think it is more simple to use then the moden se image)   

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Master fader App
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 12:25:35 AM »
Normally weak system areas are the speakers first and the microphones second.  Good powered speakers will help the speaker end.  The room will affect things too and that will be something you will learn over the years, but starting with a flat system is where I like to begin.   

Now for your questions
1 - 2 channels for stereo.  If the files are on a docked iPad on your mixer, you will have ONE additional stereo fader for that.  Otherwise, you will swallow two channels.  Make the first one an odd channel and the other channel the adjacent one to the right, then click on the name and LINK 1 to 2 (or 3 to 4, or 5 to 6.....). And then you will have one stereo fader to control their input.

3rd question - The output EQ is available in 31 band graphic EQ and flicking down on that screen you can get to the 6 band new PEQ.  You can use both at the same time.  Both channel EQ and Output EQ are available in modern, (My favorite) and classic looks.  They don’t work the same and I find the modern to have greater flexibility.  I suggest you get comfortable with the modern version and you won’t go back in the long run.  But if you are currently more comfortable with the classic mode, familiarity helps a lot.  I would suggest you shut the GATES off until you learn when and where to make use of them. 

I watched this software mature over 5 years.  Originally didn’t have groups, limited reverb and delay, no VCAs......  No ability to copy a channel’s settings and apply them to a different channel.  (That one is a serious time saver.).  It’s now a very functional modern full featured mixer.  I now have the DL16S.  Quite happy.

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 07:13:27 PM »
What Wynnd said and to elaborate further: There's no graphic EQ for the individual input channels - only the outputs. For the inputs, there is only a parametric EQ, with the choices of modern and vintage. Here's a helpful tip: go to any channel EQ and leave it set to Modern. Now, turn on the RTA button. Now you will see a visual graphic of the signal as it runs through that channel. If there are peaks or feedback, you will see it there, and can simply move one of the 4 numbered circles and lower or raise the frequency as needed.

For the external device input: There are 2 ways that work. One involves a 1/8 stereo to 1/4 mono adapter. You would plug this cable into one of the 1/4" inputs on the mixer. This is what I use, and it works fine for low volume break music, but is not ideal. Here is a cable:
https://amzn.to/2JC7yra

The best option uses 2 channels. Go to the 2 channels on the board you wish to use. They must start with an odd number, so you can link 1 & 2 but not 2 & 3. You can link 3 & 4 together, and so on. So select that button (example Ch 1), you will see the same window for naming, icons, etc. Further down the list it gives you the option to Link Ch 1 over Ch 2. Now you will have a single fader controlling both channels, and they will be hard panned left & right, with just 1 EQ operating both.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 07:44:38 PM »
What Wynnd said and to elaborate further: There's no graphic EQ for the individual input channels - only the outputs. For the inputs, there is only a parametric EQ, with the choices of modern and vintage. Here's a helpful tip: go to any channel EQ and leave it set to Modern. Now, turn on the RTA button. Now you will see a visual graphic of the signal as it runs through that channel. If there are peaks or feedback, you will see it there, and can simply move one of the 4 numbered circles and lower or raise the frequency as needed.

For the external device input: There are 2 ways that work. One involves a 1/8 stereo to 1/4 mono adapter. You would plug this cable into one of the 1/4" inputs on the mixer. This is what I use, and it works fine for low volume break music, but is not ideal. Here is a cable:

The best option uses 2 channels. Go to the 2 channels on the board you wish to use. They must start with an odd number, so you can link 1 & 2 but not 2 & 3. You can link 3 & 4 together, and so on. So select that button (example Ch 1), you will see the same window for naming, icons, etc. Further down the list it gives you the option to Link Ch 1 over Ch 2. Now you will have a single fader controlling both channels, and they will be hard panned left & right, with just 1 EQ operating both.
Don't use that cable  for input since it ties two outputs from another device together (as stated in the cable description). There are other cables with some additional electronics that allow combining two outputs to one input, this is not one of them.
When in doubt KISS

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 07:57:34 PM »
a guy I know used a similar cable and fried the amplifier in his iPad.
As WK said, you can not short two outputs together,,, well, wait a minute,,,
yes you can if that's what you want to do...  :eek:

Just get a couple of these...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hosa-CMP-159-Stereo-Breakout-3-5-mm-TRS-to-Dual-1-4-in-TS-10-ft-Cable/261578814113?hash=item3ce74ff2a1:g:vcgAAOSwY0lXQ2Py:sc:USPSFirstClass!63031!US!-1
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:01:51 PM by dpdan »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 10:08:14 PM »
Here is one for the DIY crowd.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNcakSLTOvs
Somewhere in this forum we found commercialy made cables for this but they are certainly not common.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 11:18:37 PM »
One note of caution DON"T use DL's phantom power if you use the cable unless you want to fry your device.
When in doubt KISS

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 05:53:08 PM »

Don't use that cable  for input since it ties two outputs from another device together (as stated in the cable description). There are other cables with some additional electronics that allow combining two outputs to one input, this is not one of them.

I have purchased those cables as well and there is no difference. Been using them for 7 years.

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 05:54:13 PM »
One note of caution DON"T use DL's phantom power if you use the cable unless you want to fry your device.

No, you can use the phantom power provided you have the combining cable in one of the 1/4 combo jacks. I use mine like this every day.

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 06:06:58 PM »
Me too. Phantom only in the XLR part. I once plugged my iphone into a phantom enabled XLR by mistake. It switched off instantly but survived!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:08:50 PM by pytchley »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 06:08:36 PM »

No, you can use the phantom power provided you have the combining cable in one of the 1/4 combo jacks. I use mine like this every day.
To clear up any confusion I am referring to the suggested cable with the XLR connector and it will have 48V on pin 2&3 if phantom power is switched on. Yes a TRS connection in channels 13-16 is free off 48V.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 06:24:16 PM »
To answer the OP question #1 yes you can by using Dpdan's cable suggestion and using only one of the 1/4 TS into the DL806. Reason being that a lot of recordings are dual mono not stereo. The iPad/phone still has a option to combine stereo to mono as well. If it's true stereo your best bet is with the iPad/phone settings. So in the end it depends on you playback material.

P.S. Sounds like you should have bought a DL1608.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:15:16 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS