Author Topic: Mackie's Thump or to thump Mackie ?  (Read 2034 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Mackie's Thump or to thump Mackie ?
« on: April 06, 2019, 05:09:55 AM »
A couple of years ago I invested in Mackie's Freeplay Personal for the technically challenged. It worked just fine for it's intended purpose. Mackie also used a similar control on the ProDX and Reach with similar functionality. So out came their new Thump12/15BST and newer controls minus a bunch of useful features such as Reverb and Delay and a Feedback destroyer and missing 3.5mm input. Replaced by some unknown ready-made EQ settings. I always thought that newer versions would improve on the old but apparently not at Mackie. To top it all off the channel  meters are inactive with channel mute on, REALLY. The original version had it right. So for those with this unit be sure to mute the mains before un-muting the channels unless you want a surprise. The Block diagrams are also missing mute and meter locations in the processing chain, nice job Mackie can you screw up anymore?

P.S. Their manual states "The touch sensitive faders adjust  the level of each channel going to the main output. Adjustments are made  by touching and dragging channel faders up and down.The input meters display the input  signal level to the channel before all channel processing. In normal use, this meter should remain green with the  occasional bump into the yellow zone. Lower the volume of the source if the input meter remains consistently yellow. If the input meter remains at the top of the meter display, then the signal is overloaded and clipping. Lower the volume of the source a little more." So much for manuals.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 09:15:30 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Mackie's Thump or to thump Mackie ?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 10:41:16 PM »
Just to be certain that my unit wasn't defective I called the "Friendly" Mackie Tech support and their answer was "We changed that" so my workaround should be to mute the mains or lower the faders before un-muting the channels. What a joke. Their mixers might be next with that change  ;D  Must be cheaper to change the manual.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Mackie's Thump or to thump Mackie ?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 01:07:47 AM »
Just in case I wasn't clear on buying a ThumpXXBST DON"T until they change their mind about muting input meters and make them conform to the manual. I was also informed by Mackie tech that the new Freeplay is the same way. So add that to your list of products to stay away from. I wonder if BenO had anything to do with that. Sweet revenge for no raise  :).
When in doubt KISS