Author Topic: iPadOS 13  (Read 11596 times)

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: iPadOS 13
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2019, 07:13:39 PM »

For those of you hating on mackie...  I’m hoping the release is just right around the corner...    trying to stay positive hehehe

well said John, they are working hard to get it done...

Since Master Fader 5 had to be a complete rewrite from the ground up, there are far more chances for things to not be "just right"...

I too would like 5.1 to be public, but not before it's time.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 10:38:23 PM by dpdan »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 01:35:04 AM »
I know when I do the same thing multiple times, it usually gets better each time.  And I'm pretty sure that happens with most software too.  Let's hope Mackie is experiencing that too.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 03:44:39 PM »
Since Master Fader 5 had to be a complete rewrite from the ground up, there are far more chances for things to not be "just right"...

Your not buying this again I hope. I've been involved with many projects over my years including upgrades and cross-platform issues. I guaranty there is no complete rewrite involved unless Mackie has a bunch of incompetent people running the show. With so many cross platform tools available today it would be foolish to not use them. These tools have been in use for over 30 yrs for various platforms. Apple itself has just announced a cross platform set of tools as they attempt to provide developers with these for their 5 OS's (early stage and incomplete). If MF was rewritten using Swift in the last go-round (V4.0) and since MF V5 is already out what's there to rewrite? Adding new features is not a "ground up" rewrite.  I'm not saying that cross-platform is a slam dunk it's not but a competent team of SW engineers can manage this in far less time than what its taking Mackie.
Cheers
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 04:58:06 PM »
I remember in College, that I would write a program on my TI 76(?) programmable calculator then translate it into PL1 for my projects.  Of course one has to be comfortable with both pieces of software to be able to do that.  worked quite well for my sorting assignments.

nedorama

• Padawan
    • The Toys Band Instagram page
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 06:05:41 PM »

Your not buying this again I hope. I've been involved with many projects over my years including upgrades and cross-platform issues. I guaranty there is no complete rewrite involved unless Mackie has a bunch of incompetent people running the show. With so many cross platform tools available today it would be foolish to not use them. These tools have been in use for over 30 yrs for various platforms. Apple itself has just announced a cross platform set of tools as they attempt to provide developers with these for their 5 OS's (early stage and incomplete). If MF was rewritten using Swift in the last go-round (V4.0) and since MF V5 is already out what's there to rewrite? Adding new features is not a "ground up" rewrite.  I'm not saying that cross-platform is a slam dunk it's not but a competent team of SW engineers can manage this in far less time than what its taking Mackie.
Cheers

Just curious, what's making you think they used Swift for writing the code vs. Unity? Lot more Unity programmers out there and makes cross-platform work easier.

I'm guessing that adding Android and Mac to the same development team is what's causing the delay. Developing for just iOS is simple as Apple controls the ecosystem and there's only 1 flavor of OS. Android is the stupid cousin (Think Randy Quaid in Vacation) that lets everyone in to do what they want. I'm exaggerating of course, but having worked at two companies where we had to chase Android compatibility on top of iOS, it's a PITA and time suck. Stuff that works fine in Unity on iOS may work on a LG, but then is broken on Samsung.
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 06:20:27 AM »
You may be right but until I see a binary I wont know for sure. The main reasons for guessing the use of Xcode (Swift) is that it's easier to learn and while Unity is geared toward gaming, AR, AI with far more resources for these applications. A 3D mixer app would be interesting but it's way too much for Mackie to produce. There are also numerous other development platforms out there that could have been used as well. As I stated before cross-platform development is no small feat and you need capable programmers to get the job done. I also doubt that the development is done completely in house from past Mackie history. More likely the delay is from people leaving the "team" BenO comes to mind (head of software development at Mackie).
When in doubt KISS

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2019, 01:45:53 PM »
I'm working with a developer right now who created their first big offering on IOS back 5 years or more ago. Half of the coders who started that project are no longer with them, and this year they started a cross platform project to turn that first app suite into something they could sell to a larger market (this is a medical practice product).

They first started with Android, and now have added native Mac and Windows support.

They have multiple departments, each responsible for different parts of the suite, and then specialty groups that handle the different platforms. And in the middle is a team that hooks it all together.
Some of this takes place in the cloud, but the apps each have to have a similar look and feel and communicate with the cloud the same way.

Having spent hours on the phone talking with their tech support and their developers - I can see it is a huge undertaking to make it all work.

Mind you, MF is not that complex by any means, but still, they had to do a lot of the same things to get their app to work across these different platforms....   Maybe not a "complete re-write", but I bet it feels like it.

I dunno, I've only dabbled in these types of apps, I'll stick to variants of C thank you very much =)

Good luck to them - I'm waiting - pseudo-patiently.... hehe

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2019, 04:53:33 PM »
I wish that Mackie would consider releasing MF 5.1 with whatever works well right now.  The legacy products would probably be fine getting started with ipads only for now.  (Guessing the issues might be the other control devices not working well enough.  I honestly have no clue where they are and what works best and what doesn't.)  I'm ready for the Windows version to run on my touch screen laptop. 

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2019, 05:03:30 PM »
I wish that Mackie would consider releasing MF 5.1 with whatever works well right now.  The legacy products would probably be fine getting started with ipads only for now.  (Guessing the issues might be the other control devices not working well enough.  I honestly have no clue where they are and what works best and what doesn't.)  I'm ready for the Windows version to run on my touch screen laptop.

While I would like that too, I just don't think there's that much to be gained by rushing it out for any single platform.  Not seeing their incentive to do so.   (Not speaking for them, just trying to look at it from their side)

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2019, 07:43:08 PM »
I see the incentive of provideing MF 5.1 to the legacy products.  They are already using iPads and the effects is the greatest change they will get.

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2019, 07:45:52 PM »
I see the incentive of provideing MF 5.1 to the legacy products.  They are already using iPads and the effects is the greatest change they will get.

The greatest thing is to be able to dump those old ipads, and buy inexpensive tablets =) heh

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2019, 07:50:46 PM »
Nothing wrong with the iPads.  Those that are out of updates are a problem, but out of my first three iPads, only two went away.  I did buy an iPad Pro to replace one of them.  I don’t hate Apple, actually Apple has been very good to me.  (I bought stock at $20 a share way back when.  It has split to 14 shares and they are about $225 a share today.)   Now if I can only get Apple to start making MacBook Pros with touch screens. 

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2019, 07:57:57 PM »
I have two ipads with bad screens and various issues like old batteries...   For the cost of a replacement screen and battery, I can buy inexpensive android tablets.

Churches I work with cannot afford to buy their praise bands iPads, but they can afford a cheap tablet, and they work great!

No hate for the apple stuff, just appreciate the affordability of the others

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2019, 02:22:19 AM »
I suspect the cheapest Android won't run MF 5 in the tablet format.  Some have found theirs only run the smart phone version and that only allows volume control, mute and solo.  (Pretty limited.  Not what you want that mixer for.)  Apple usually has recent but discontinued ipads available for fairly low prices.  (Especially in the mini size Wifi only version.  Probably about $300.)   I'm betting the Androids that run MF 5 probably also cost at least $400.  The $80 ones probably won't run the tablet format controls. (1600 controls for 16 channels on the DL16S and 1400 controls for the DL1608 when MF 5.1 is released.) 

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2019, 12:39:08 PM »
Mf5 runs terrific on several different hundred dollar tablets and assorted Android phones.

No lag, no problems. 
So unless they really screw up something in 5.1, it should be a great user experience.