Author Topic: It's safe to plug my Stingray 5 bass direct to a jack input in my DL1608?  (Read 3224 times)

Chirro

• Youngling
  • Bass player
I'm thinking different options to reduce my equipment in some cheap gigs. I always plug my bass using a DI box in my pedal board and then to a XLR input in my DL1608, but I want to know if it's safe to plug my bass directly in one of the jack inputs (channels 13, 14, 15 or 16), knowing that almost always I have to turn on the phantom switch for the drummer's mics.

Could this damage my bass?
Professional Bass player and amateur sound tech

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
As  long as your pedal board outputs line level and not require a high impedance input you should be fine as long as you use the TRS/TS input on the mixer. The XLR input will have phantom power if switched on although many units will tolerate the 48V phantom power it's best to be safe.
When in doubt KISS

Chirro

• Youngling
  • Bass player
Thanks WK154. This is the official response of Mackie's technical support:

Hi Chirro,

Thanks for writing!

Phantom power never travels over ¼”, so you cannot harm the bass with such a connection.

Whether the connection will sound good is a different matter. When connecting unbalanced, instrument-level connections, it’s always recommended to use a DI box to balance the signal. Check out our line of DIs here!

Thanks,

I have tested the inputs with a voltimeter and can assure that the phantom power is not present in the jack inputs, only in the XLR ones. I have pluged my bass and everything sound right.

This Saturday I will play this way, mainly for checking if the sound is good enough for a live performance.

Thanks.

Wynnd

• Master
As long as you don't over drive the input, the DI box is optional.  Just make sure there's some head room after you've adjusted the trim.  Enjoy.

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
As long as you don't over drive the input, the DI box is optional.  Just make sure there's some head room after you've adjusted the trim.  Enjoy.

I played many gigs with the bass plugged direct into the DL1608 and the DL32R, and also with a preamp and pedals in between - never a problem. 
Nothing but nice clean sound.

I can confirm that no power goes over the 1/4" as I too was worried with my DL1608 since it was either on or off and checked it with my VOM.

Rock on!

Chirro

• Youngling
  • Bass player
Everything was fine in the gig. Good clear sound.

Thanks for all your responses.

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
Everything was fine in the gig. Good clear sound.

Thanks for all your responses.

AWESOME!  Thanks for following up too!