Author Topic: IEMs on Aux sends - What Limiter settings are you using?  (Read 2042 times)

nedorama

• Padawan
    • The Toys Band Instagram page
IEMs on Aux sends - What Limiter settings are you using?
« on: November 23, 2019, 12:14:01 AM »
I have searched the threads and haven't seen it, but looking to add 2 wired IEM's to our band for our two female singers. One also plays acoustic and doesn't have an acoustic amp, so it's hard for her to get a good mix on stage. I have 2 of the Rolls PM50's, which if you're not moving work great. But they have no limiting built in, and want to ensure that I have something on the aux channels to protect hearing. This is different than putting compression on the aux send (no no) but more of a final protection to ensure that loud blasts don't hurt their ears.

Let me know and feel free to share - thanks!
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

Weogo

• Knight
Re: IEMs on Aux sends - What Limiter settings are you using?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 01:48:59 AM »
Hi Ned,

A mixer's compressor/limiter circuitry can work well to clamp down on most extreme volume sources.
But, if there is noise after the mixer, for instance a cable out of the mixer that isn't in excellent condition and
has some noise on it, then the mixer can't catch that.
This is why it's preferable to have limiters on earbud bodypacks.

So if you use the mixer for limiting, make sure your cables/connections are in excellent condition.
And use a UPS, battery backup unit, to power the mixer, which is good practice anytime.

The Mackie Aux-Master compressors can be set to work as limiters:
Set the ratio to  infinity:1
Use a short attack time,  maybe 10ms.
Set a release time of about  200ms.
For Threshold, get the earbuds at a good level and adjust the threshold so limiting just starts to happen for very loud passages.
Tweak as needed.

Good health,  Weogo 

nedorama

• Padawan
    • The Toys Band Instagram page
Re: IEMs on Aux sends - What Limiter settings are you using?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 04:59:54 PM »
Thanks Weogo - appreciate it.
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608