Author Topic: MF V5.1 What is it really?  (Read 1817 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
MF V5.1 What is it really?
« on: December 21, 2019, 06:32:55 AM »
What are we really waiting for in V5.1? According to Mackie for a major release in their own words:

"Features to be added in Future Master Fader 5.x Updates (including, but not limited to):
     • Support for the DL806, DL1608, DL32R and DC16
     • Support for macOS and Windows
     • Support for Import/Export"

It's a short list with some additions to FX and the UI and a longer list of UI bugs. My assessment of V5.x stands* as before "to little to late". V5.1 will hopefully add two more platforms and four DL's to the list, the only real improvement. They could have had this with a lot less drama had BenO and even Uli taken my advise four years ago to forget Mandolin and OSC and take on HTML5 like Soundcraft in their Ui series. Soundcraft did buy the rights from SM PRO audio an Australian company that had the right vision. Software maintenance cost will be a lot higher with what Mackie and Behringer chose.

* http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=1436.msg17113#msg17113

More detail on MF V5.x here:   http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=1475.msg17494#msg17494

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 07:05:15 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
Re: MF V5.1 What is it really?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 04:40:00 PM »
I've always expected that programming choices were more likely the result of familiarity with the software.  Could be wrong, but if it's a big change, one has to hire in experts.  My Wife is pretty much totally comfortable with HTML, but it eludes me.  (And when we met in College, I was probably the better programmer, but she generated code faster.  (And a lot more of it.  Her programs always ran slower and her card stacks were always thicker.) )

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 07:13:07 PM »
So your saying that she is more verbose and when you can get a word in edgewise you made it count  :). The principle here I ran across in one of my old calculus texts called "Path of least resistance". Quite common in underachievers in software (management classification of employees). What Mackie needs are overachievers that they can hold on to. To make it all work you need a dedicated visionary in management as long as he doesn't loose sight of budgets like Greg Mackie.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 07:51:44 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 12:06:52 AM »
Agreed.