Author Topic: Shure under attack?  (Read 3607 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Shure under attack?
« on: January 17, 2020, 04:49:19 PM »
NAMM 2020 was the announcement of Mackie going into the Mic business with three models. Wonder how long it will take before you can buy any of these? This must have been with the prodding from the new Transom/Loud board liaison, the president of Blue Microphones. Is Mackie now in the clone business? Pricing is below Shure for equivalent models ($69-149) but Behringer just pulled the rug out from under them with $13 - $25 range for clones. The grass must be greener on the other side  ;D
Here is their webpage.    https://mackie.com/blog/news-events?page=1
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:34:48 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
Re: Shure under attack?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 04:14:51 AM »
Shure is being attacked? Hahahahaha

What are you smoking?

Shure isn't going to feel any impact from another competitor.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 08:51:11 AM »
People with a lot more knowledge about the mic business think otherwise.
When in doubt KISS

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 01:23:52 PM »
Well good for Mackie then!   Maybe they'll take down a giant by making another superior and affordable product.

I'm always happy to see the big companies who don't innovate go down... Like Apple.

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 01:20:50 PM »
I don't think yet more cheepo mics are going to take the market by storm. As for Apple and Shure not innovating????? Mackie did innovate with the DLs bur seems to be dropping the ball and bringing out irrelevant products instead of developing the good ones.

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 11:33:12 PM »
Well, hopefully this addition at the lower end of the market will lead to a couple of beginner bands starting out with somewhat decent material for a price they can afford - instead of using plastic supermarket microphones and broken, crackling mixing desks. It's pretty amazing what you can get for a low budget these days, be it the "house-brand" guitars, amps, drum set or the B*** mixers and other hardware. So good time for beginners - if there are still enough kids out there that are actually serious enough about actually learning an instrument and playing in a band. Difficult in the age of instant gratification and of talent-less "influencers"...

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 09:37:08 AM »
Let me put the global mic industry into a little more of a perspective. The global mic market in 2019 is around 2.2 billion and expected to grow to 2.6 billion by 2025. The 60 plus % is captured by MEMS (smart-phone market) and industrial and medical industries. The music microphone market that you’re familiar with is a small piece of the pie.  Here are some of the top players in this music mic business.  Sennheiser/Neuman, SONY, AKG, Audio-Technica, Lewitt Audio, Shure, SUPERLUX, Behringer, Blue, Takstar, Lane, Apogee Electronics, Samson Technologies, MXL Microphones, M-Audio, Electro-Voice, SE Electronics, Slate Digital, Rode, Revolabs and a couple hundred more. Some have niche applications and of course others compete in the entertainment segment. JohnMHoyt let me answer you’re misconception about Shure being some behemoth it’s not nor will it go out of business because Mackie is entering the mic business. Shure has been under attack on their classic models such as SM57, SM58 for several decades with counterfeiters and legitimate businesses such as Behringer, Peavey etc.  eroding some of Shure’s market share. Mackie will only add to this but the market is also growing. The pricing pressure is what I was referring to. Will Shure respond to maintain more market share? Time will tell.
When in doubt KISS

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 01:41:51 PM »
Yawn...

Thanks for taking the bait...

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 07:28:33 PM »
John, I keep remindin you to stay away from that cheap moonshine, it makes ya all sleepy and then yer hallucinatin thinkin your fishin  :)
Cheers
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 07:35:12 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

nedorama

• Padawan
    • The Toys Band Instagram page
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 11:42:30 PM »
Let me put the global mic industry into a little more of a perspective. The global mic market in 2019 is around 2.2 billion and expected to grow to 2.6 billion by 2025. The 60 plus % is captured by MEMS (smart-phone market) and industrial and medical industries. The music microphone market that you’re familiar with is a small piece of the pie.  Here are some of the top players in this music mic business.  Sennheiser/Neuman, SONY, AKG, Audio-Technica, Lewitt Audio, Shure, SUPERLUX, Behringer, Blue, Takstar, Lane, Apogee Electronics, Samson Technologies, MXL Microphones, M-Audio, Electro-Voice, SE Electronics, Slate Digital, Rode, Revolabs and a couple hundred more. Some have niche applications and of course others compete in the entertainment segment. JohnMHoyt let me answer you’re misconception about Shure being some behemoth it’s not nor will it go out of business because Mackie is entering the mic business. Shure has been under attack on their classic models such as SM57, SM58 for several decades with counterfeiters and legitimate businesses such as Behringer, Peavey etc.  eroding some of Shure’s market share. Mackie will only add to this but the market is also growing. The pricing pressure is what I was referring to. Will Shure respond to maintain more market share? Time will tell.

It would be great if you knew what you were talking about instead of spouting generic facts.

The SM57 and 58 have had numerous competitors for decades, yet the price is still $100. If you want to pay less, Shure has a lower-priced line (PG, which they don't say, but I would guess means "pretty good") that competes on price. And below that, Shure isn't interested in a race to the bottom.

I find it laughable some of the companies you include as being "top" in the music business. Shows a lack of understanding of the MI business.
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 05:53:51 PM »
Nedorama it would be even better if you just educated yourself instead of spouting off unsubstantiated nonsense. The least of which is to get the Industry I’m talking about right, namely the Global Microphone market not the Music Industry market. Yes I also did state that the SM series had decades of competition  ;D but I didn’t presume to know what Shure was thinking or likely to do like you have.  You can laugh all you want but my source for this is a market analysis you couldn’t afford at $3480/yr. once again showing your ignorance of the facts  :lol:. The PG line has been replaced with the PG-Alta (PGA) line for some time now, time to get current.
Cheers
When in doubt KISS

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 06:25:09 PM »
I still don't understand why WK154 bothers to waste their time over here on the Mackie fan boy group if they are so happy with what they have.

WK154 must just have a lot of time on their hands like me. 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 11:25:08 PM »
John this has never been about a "Mackie Fan Boys" forum it evolved out of Mackie's customers needing answers about their gear from their own website that was discontinued due to undo pressure from all their customers. They couldn't take the heat so they shut it down. BenO was responsible for that  It has always been about getting professional answers on specific problem. For the "Fan Boys" please visit https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mackie/groups/?ref=page_internal and see if you can get answers. You would be much happier there spouting praises. For those of you that want experienced answers to your problems stick around.
Cheers
When in doubt KISS

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 02:04:04 PM »
I'm not unhappy at all... I love my Mackie gear, cept for a few little issues, and being tied to crApple, which is really just the worst.

I mainly come here to watch you get upset and rant. Gives me the giggles.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 05:17:58 PM »
I'm glad your happy and that I'm entertaining, but at least we agree on something you call crApple. I just throw controversial topics up otherwise this forum would die of boredom. Don't we all have our agendas  :) Tomorrow is the day that Mackie will be consistently disappointing about your major complaint so smile.
When in doubt KISS