Author Topic: Master Fader 5.1 Released!  (Read 12215 times)

ToH2002

• Padawan
Re: Master Fader 5.1 Released!
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2020, 03:17:52 PM »
OK, here my first report from the MF5.1 front:

• update on my DL32R went without problems
  • MasterFader Windows runs OK on my PCs in the studio and connects to the DL32R without a problem
  • the only issue at that point: on my 32 inch 4K studio screen, MF scales up brutally, taking up tons of screen space. It completely ignores the Windows scaling settings - I only get to see 17 channels on this screen - that's pretty nuts. Plus, I have really long-distance mouse-travel to get from one channel to the other. HiRes Display behavior is definitely something to revisit
  • The real shock came when trying to access the same mixer via my Windows laptops / tablets: MF5.1 stubbornly refuses to find the same mixer via WiFi. Tried this with my live DL32S, attached to an Apple AirPort Extreme: when connecting my laptop with a LAN cable to the AirPort, MF5.1 finds the mixer, when connecting to the same AirPort via WiFi: no mixer! All other devices (Android, iPads) connect happily, but MF5.1 for Windows refuses to find a mixer via WiFi. This is plain ridiculous - Mackie needs to fix this ASAP!
  • last, on both of my Surfaces (Surface Pro 4 and Surface Go), MF5.1 freezes when trying to add an image to a channel (on clicking the "image" item in the channel pop-up) - on all other machines, this works, only Surfaces seem to confuse MF...

Given the delays in the development process, I would have hoped that something as basic as WiFi connectivity would be stable - very disappointed! I was looking forward to use my Surface with its high resolution as a luxury tablet to drive Master Fader, but this looks like an unfulfilled dream...

Cheers,

Torsten

ezywave

• Initiate
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2020, 03:33:07 PM »
MacBook Pro 13" 2014, OS-X High Sierra, DL 1608 connected via Airport Express: Mixer was found immediately, firmware update took a few minutes and now everything works like a charm  ;D Thanks, Mackie for keeping those old units alive and up to date! Only thing with the upgrade is that the iPad2 with 32pin connector is probably out of the game, time to dig out the lightning connector I got myself before they were sold out..  ;)

Edit: confirming smooth upgrade and operation also for Lenovo Yoga 530 (Windows 10), iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 4 (both iOS 13.3.1). Couldn't be happier!.... Well, except if there was a way to somehow midi-controls the faders, either via the laptop or iOs app. But that's probably too much to wish for... :eek:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 03:50:16 PM by ezywave »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2020, 04:13:40 PM »
Torsten perhaps your answer is here among the various issues with Bonjor.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/bonjour-not-working-in-wifi-ethernet.1465794/
 I thought it odd that the install on W7 complained that it was trying to load a older version of Bonjor than what was in my W7. It didn't load it and the demo version of MF5.1 works so far. I don't have much time until I reassemble my DL1608 next week to pursue this. The demo unfortunately doesn't use the networks.  I'll try my Surface Pro 7 next.
When in doubt KISS

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2020, 04:18:16 PM »
Yeah, I had a look at Bonjour issues - and tried various versions of Bonjour with MF 5.1. But it looks like the issue is within MF 5.1 Windows. All my iPads and Android devices happily see the mixer - I assume they use Bonjour as well. Also, communication via rtpMIDI between my mobile Windows devices and the network also work flawlessly - and they use Bonjour as well. So it looks like Mackie have messed something up...

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2020, 04:23:04 PM »
Re the older version of Bonjour: the 2.0 version that Mackie have bundled with MF 5.1 is the latest one that you can download stand-alone. the current version of iTunes contains 3.1.x, but you can't download that one on its own.

But it's easy to get that newest one: open the iTunes installer with a ZIP program and extract the Bonjour installer...

Didn't fix my problems with WiFi, though.

And of course my mixer is in the same subnet as my PCs and WiFi, so the typical Bonjour issues don't apply. Even the simplest setup (plugging my DL32S into an AirPort and connecting the laptop to that same Airport) didn't work, unless I connect the laptop via a cable. So it looks like Bonjour isn't the culprit here, but Mackie's implementation...

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2020, 04:40:29 PM »
How's the touch response on the Surface?   Feel good?

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2020, 05:58:34 PM »
How's the touch response on the Surface?   Feel good?

Feels pretty much like on an iPad - smooth, quick reaction, nice scroll ballistics. Couldn't test it with my mixers, though, since I couldn't connect...

I would have liked a different view on high-DPI screens, with the faders at the bottom and an additional view of the channel strip at the top - some early mock-ups of the Windows version showed this, but that approach seems to have been killed - a pity!

Ram

• Padawan
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2020, 12:22:26 AM »
So using 5.1, if I connect my PC to my DL1608 using ethernet card  - then I can't connect to my router , right? Also means I cannot use wireless Ipads... :-(

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2020, 02:32:36 AM »
So using 5.1, if I connect my PC to my DL1608 using ethernet card  - then I can't connect to my router , right? Also means I cannot use wireless Ipads... :-(

That's definitely NOT what I meant - if you connect your PC and the DL 1608 to a router (both to downstream ports), all should be good, and the PC should be able to see the mixer. Also you should be able to use wireless iPads at the same time.

The key problem in my experience is connecting a Windows laptop or tablet to the mixer wirelessly - something is broken there. Mackie Support is trying to help me, but so far nothing that resolves the issues...

VoiceofDuum

• Youngling
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2020, 04:30:38 PM »
Beware: so far it's not gone well for our DL32R setup. Upgraded device firmware in order to allow access using Master Fader 5.1 clients. One Android phone, one iPhone, and my Win10 desktop are able to access it. On two iPads (both iOS13), one iPhone (iOS13), and two Android phones, the Master Fader 5.1 app simply closes the moment we select our mixer.

Mackie support by telephone appears to be unavailable today (I was invited to leave a message; no callback yet). The support portal at https://supportloudtech.netx.net/loud-public/#/contact appears to be broken. If I don't hear back soon I'm going to attempt a firmware reversion via https://supportloudtech.netx.net/loud-public/#/asset/16168

I'll post again with any updates.

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2020, 05:21:23 PM »
Beware: so far it's not gone well for our DL32R setup. Upgraded device firmware in order to allow access using Master Fader 5.1 clients. One Android phone, one iPhone, and my Win10 desktop are able to access it. On two iPads (both iOS13), one iPhone (iOS13), and two Android phones, the Master Fader 5.1 app simply closes the moment we select our mixer.

I posted about this...   A solution is - on a working device, change the current show, save it, load it back.  Then connect the iThing and it should work.

I also had luck on another mixer that was having issues with MF5.1 by reloading the firmware then loading/saving shows, then that fixed the iThings that would not work.

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2020, 12:41:30 PM »

I had similar experiences on my DL32R - had Master Fader open on an iPad Mini (iOS 12) and an Android tablet, but when I selected my DL32R, it started to load the show, but then crashed and closed. What seemed to help was to eliminate all custom pictures in mixer channels (inputs and masters) and replace them with the standard "icons" - suddenly, the devices that used to crash can open the show on MF 5.1. Not sure if you have custom pictures in your mix - if yes, give this approach a try...

It's all a bit hit and miss - amazing / appalling that MF5.1 had such a long beta phase and still such grave issues...

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2020, 02:13:23 PM »
This happened again at rehearsal last night - an iPhone that worked at the last gig would crash as soon as I selected the online DL32R.

Again, to fix, I just changed one fader, saved the show, reloaded the show... Then that device would open.

It was getting disconnected at first too, but as I changed settings on another iPad, it began to work again.

What worries me is - what if I didn't have 3 devices, and only had one, showed up to run sound and my iPad would keep crashing out???  There would be no show unless I forced the mixer to reload the firmware again...
Guess I will show up 2.5 hours before every show, instead of of just 2.

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2020, 03:13:44 PM »
In my case, firmware reload didn't change a thing - looks like something is really still broken.

If It was only my DL32R, I'd be back on MF 4 in a second - unfortunately, my live mixer is a DL32S - it needs MF 5. But I'm really getting a funny feeling...

Unfortunately, there aren't so many alternatives to the DL32S - the combination of form factor and channel count is pretty hard to beat.

But it needs to be reliable - period.

The Soundcraft Ui24R is starting to look pretty attractive...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 03:43:02 PM by ToH2002 »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2020, 05:43:45 AM »
Well surprise it's not Mackie this time it's instead the other M$ for the failed Windows installs. I did a update (prior was 2/11) on W10 Surface Pro and the Dell Inspiron laptop today and miracles happened. There was no other change but the W10 updates  >:( . Both systems are now functional. No re installs or power cycles of routers etc. and other suggestions that made no sense. There are differences from manufacturers updates of W10. Some are more current (Lenovo vs Dell). All the Windows versions I have are now functioning with the basics other than the well known fader jittery movement and other known bugs.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 06:16:25 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS