Author Topic: 5.1 likes and dislikes  (Read 10554 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: 5.1 likes and dislikes
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2020, 11:01:37 PM »
Torsten I believe that there was some complaints about crippling Tab A when it was released just to help the S5e at double the price not look to bad. Maybe in a future release they will convert to the 64 bit Android version. The S5e was soon replaced with the S6 which has much better performance.
When in doubt KISS

VoiceofDuum

• Youngling
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2020, 04:55:14 PM »
John, can you post the "forced firmware update" procedure? Is it the one outlined in https://supportloudtech.netx.net/loud-public/#/asset/16168 or something different?

UPDATE: This was resolved after following Mackie Tech Support's suggested forced firmware update - something obviously didn't go well when I first upgraded to 5.1. 
All working now.

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2020, 05:23:46 PM »
John, can you post the "forced firmware update" procedure? Is it the one outlined in https://supportloudtech.netx.net/loud-public/#/asset/16168 or something different?

To perform a force update that pushes the latest firmware update to your system, do the following:
•   Backup your settings using snapshots under the SHOWS window
•   Power off the mixer
•   Depress the force update button to the right of the Power and Network LEDs using a pin
•   Keep the button pressed while turning the mixer on
•   Release the button after 10 seconds
•   Connect to the mixer in Master Fader 4; it should be in Update Mode  (I used MF5.1 on on an iPad)
•   Push the update to the mixer

VoiceofDuum

• Youngling
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2020, 05:48:36 PM »
Thanks John! I tried it and it seems to have worked, so my issues may have resulted from an incomplete earlier update. Seems important to have the iPad forget all other WiFi networks in range before doing the update. And according to Mackie the same procedure can be used to revert to the earlier firmware, if you connect to the Update Mode mixer instance using MF4.

Fingers crossed ...

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2020, 06:07:04 PM »
Super!   

I do have one glitch you might want to be aware of since it sounds like you are doing what I do.

If you set one of the other phones or tablets to be locked out of the main mix but able to access their own aux mix....  It appears that when they first connect to the mixer, they can still see the main mix.

The faders are ghosted.  You can see through them at that point.
However, they can still adjust the main until they change to their own aux.

Sighhhh. Might just be me but figured I'd warn you.

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2020, 09:46:33 PM »
My biggest like of 5.1 is that it won't work on any of my 3 ipads so I'm spared even the possibility of having my reputation and sanity destroyed by Mackie's habitual total disregard for the real world. It also amazes me that so called pro entertainers and sound providers put their jobs on the line by having faith in a company that clearly doesn't give a flying f**k for it's clients and hasn't done so since Greg left the building long ago. It's not as if it hasn't happened before, one blast of white noise at full volume from my early DL1608 taught me my lesson years ago (and cost me a client).

gtrdudes

• Padawan
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2020, 12:40:46 PM »
I’ve waited to upgrade to 5.1. After reading everyone’s reviews I’m a little more hesitant. Has anyone here updated and just used iPad control with good results?  I’m more interested in the new fx engine than using android or pc.

If I did go to 5.1 and had problems is it easy enough to go back to MF 4?

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2020, 01:41:12 PM »
I’ve waited to upgrade to 5.1. After reading everyone’s reviews I’m a little more hesitant. Has anyone here updated and just used iPad control with good results?  I’m more interested in the new fx engine than using android or pc.

If I did go to 5.1 and had problems is it easy enough to go back to MF 4?

I have used only iPad on mine because only iPad has worked well enough.

Unless you absolutely NEED two more effects engines, just stay with MF4 if you are using your DL out in the real-world.
HOWEVER - if you do happen to try 5.1, and run into the problems we all have, it is easy to go!

I'm expecting an update any moment that addresses the majority of the issues, but, I'm just overly hopeful probably =)

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2020, 01:57:49 PM »
The only people who can't go back are the DL16S and DL32S mixer owners as MF 5.0.2 is no longer available.  All the others can revert by loading MF 4.x and resetting their mixers.  (It's in the mixer owner's manual.)

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2020, 06:20:20 PM »
well almost enough. I will need to put a clause bubble on all of my Master Fader Youtube videos... Since Mackie no longer supports my Mackie products, I can no longer support the world with generous, knowledgeable FREE support as I have done for hundreds and hundreds of Mackie DL customers around the world. I am confident that when Ben Olswang left Mackie, that was the end of DL. Sad....   

I personally want to thank you for all the videos you took the time to make to help us to better understand the mixers software and mixing in general. I'm also sorry to hear what Mackie has done with regard to your present desk and it's lack of future software updates.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2020, 07:01:02 PM »
well almost enough. I will need to put a clause bubble on all of my Master Fader Youtube videos... Since Mackie no longer supports my Mackie products, I can no longer support the world with generous, knowledgeable FREE support as I have done for hundreds and hundreds of Mackie DL customers around the world. I am confident that when Ben Olswang left Mackie, that was the end of DL. Sad....   

I personally want to thank you for all the videos you took the time to make to help us to better understand the mixers software and mixing in general. I'm also sorry to hear what Mackie has done with regard to your present desk and it's lack of future software updates.

Hi TR,
you are very kind to say what you just did and I thank YOU!.
I have my new Yamaha TF Rack mixer and I will enjoy it and use it cheerfully. Even though I have decided to jump ship (so to speak), I am aware that those videos are still beneficial to people using Master Fader 5.1 and beyond. I had a fun time making the videos, and am appreciative of youtube to be able to share a little bit of what I think I know :) There is still much to learn in this constantly changing world of technology, sound, recording, mixing, production, etc. I am self taught, but still humbled at the kind comments that people like you have sent to me since Mackie changed my life with Master Fader. To be honest, I am not unhappy with my Mackie gear, it is the person or persons who decided to ditch DC16 customers. I can't continue to promote a company like that. And, that makes me sad. But.... your post made me happy, and that makes it all worth it!

As always, never hesitate to ask a question if you feel stumped.   
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 07:03:12 PM by dpdan »