Author Topic: Android Tablets for MF 5.1  (Read 2618 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Android Tablets for MF 5.1
« on: February 07, 2020, 02:10:28 AM »
To try to guide you thru a minefield on Android Tablets here are some simple rules. If your tablet is a 32 bit hardware tablet then you will need the Mackie's 32 bit version of MF 5.1. Since Mackie decided not to put up both a 32 and 64 bit version of MF 5.1 according to the Google Play rules a separate version exists for a 32 bit processor or 32 bit OS running on a 64 bit processor. They of course could have put the 32 bit version on their website along with instructions but they again are being difficult by requiring you to check with them  :).  If you are trying to download the 64 bit version to a 32 bit CPU from Google Play you will either not find it or get the message that your device is incompatible with your device. Mackie's version is a 64 bit ONLY version on Google Play. If you have a 32 bit OS running on a 64 bit processor you need to upgrade to a 64 bit version of Android. For those of you interested in Google’s roadmap here it is:  https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2019/01/get-your-apps-ready-for-64-bit.html
 Of the two tablets that I own and meet the Google requirement is a Lenovo Tab  2 A10-70F (Android V6)and a Samsung Tab S6 (Android V9) both are 64 bit CPU based with 64 bit Android. There are lots of apps out there to tell you what your tablet is. Beware of e-Bay Chinese tabs claiming to have what they advertise, they don’t   . When I have my DL1608 running again I will contact Mackie for their magic solution for the 32 bit Android app. Until I have a working DL it makes no sense to deal with that. Torsten has already dealt with them and offered to provide the 32 bit version download and instructions but I have additional questions and will hold off until I am prepared. Thank you Torsten for you kind offer. Please post your success or failure of the Android version and on which DL you own for others to benefit from.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 07:03:27 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

ToH2002

• Padawan
Re: Android Tablets for MF 5.1
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 02:33:29 PM »
To be precise: I offered to share the apk via PM for a few forum members, not publicly.

I think it would be useful for Mackie to receive support requests for the 32 bit version - if there are enough such requests, maybe they'll reconsider their distribution policy...

So by all means DO open a support ticket with Mackie for the 32 bit version - they've been pretty quick in supplying the download link.

Cheers,

Torsten

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 03:43:02 AM »
Well Mackie finally posted the instructions and link for installing the 32 bit version for Android.
https://mackie.com/sites/default/files/Master%20Fader%20Installation%20Instructions%20for%20Android%2032-bit%20OS%20devices.pdf
I guess they took your advice Torsten  :)
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 10:54:27 PM »
Well it's not that simple. After not following Google's instructions which were well advertised a year and a half ago to include both the 32 and 64 bit App in Google Play, Mackie screwed up again. The first issue is the link for the 32 bit vesion in their instructions get you garbled text so you need to type in the correct link address. After that you are ready for the download which went fine. Then no window appears for the next step. I tried 3 times on the download (three strikes and your out). Digging deeper led me to an error "parse error " which would be the next step in the install. Can Mackie ever get things right! I have no more time to waste on this or any other Mackie CRAP. Have fun.
Cheers

P.S. I'm glad both Behringer annd Soundcraft have their act together.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 10:15:00 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 04:35:35 AM »
As a last resort I contacted Mackie support and not to my surprise found their usual excuses by stating that the Android tablets I have are in-compatible with the MF application. I asked if a list of working Android tablets were available I got the usual iPad answer. The fact that the problem had to do with the installation not the running of the app was of no consequence to the tech support. The failure would only be because of a faulty apk by Mackie. It must not have been an answer on the cheat sheet  :). So far I have no 32 bit Androids running MF5.1. I also tried a 64 bit ARM Lenovo Tab 2 which should run a 32 bit app just fine, it also failed. Currently the only known 32 bit Android app that was reported running by Torsten was a 64 bit Samsung Tab ARM with a 32bit Android V9. Failed units are as follows:
Lenovo Tab 2 (64 bit ARM that runs the 64bit MF but not the 32 bit version, MT8167a)
Samsung Note 4 (32 bit ARM 32bit Android V6, Qualcomm Snapdragon 805)
ZL10 by ALPS (32 bit ARM with 32 Bit Android 9.0, MediaTek MT6582)
So far the 32 bit MF 5.1 is a failure with Android Tabs and OS's.
The link I used for the 32 bit version is    https://mackie.com/sites/default/files/MasterFader.apk

Anyone else that has a 32 bit version running on any Android tablet???? Please post.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 09:35:25 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS