Author Topic: The plague has killed our conversation  (Read 12169 times)

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
The plague has killed our conversation
« on: April 10, 2020, 02:28:53 PM »
With sound techs/engineers/companies, churches, bands and venues currently sitting on their thumbs and hunkering down, I guess we have little to talk about.

(This would be a GREAT time for Mackie to be working on MF though.  With lots of us able to test gear in a non-production environment!)

So what are you guys doing to stay busy, healthy and sane?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: The plague has killed our conversation
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 04:46:07 PM »
John I was wondering about that myself. For those with COVID-19 it's a matter of life or death and I wish them a speedy recovery but the rest are probably working on that "Honey Do" list  (no escaping that now) unless your on the front lines, thank you for that. I myself started to upgrade my aging network and computer systems before all this and it turns out to be quite a challenge. I have two All In Ones, yes they save space but are a PIA for upgrades. Manufacturers can't be believed on compatibility so its trial and error and a liberal return policy. They all have succumb to the lock-in engineering policy a Apple pandemic. For those who will eventually get around to working on your sound gear we are here to help. A welcome change of pace.
Cheers
When in doubt KISS

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 05:24:51 PM »
thank you John for your new topic.
I am no less healthy than before this virus took over so many.
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Diabetes like many.

The scary thing for me through this pandemic is that the medication I am on for my RA basically shuts down my immune system, so that makes me even more susceptible to getting any contagious virus. Lucky me huh? I have been staying home except for trips to the grocery store.

With all this time and nothing to do, I am now thoroughly comfortable with my new Yamaha TF Rack mixer and the app, but unfortunately absolutely no work to use it with.
So much about that...

I guess out of habit, I still check this forum a few times a day and I was happy to see a new post.
This feels like family here to me and I suppose I won't have any desire to leave just because I jumped ship.

I too am happy to help anyone with questions.

Thanks John and WK for posting!
Dan 

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 05:32:29 PM »
I myself started to upgrade my aging network and computer systems before all this and it turns out to be quite a challenge. I have two All In Ones, yes they save space but are a PIA for upgrades.

My "day job" is in IT, and the All-In-Ones look great on a desk man!  But beyond aesthetics, the issues we have are compatibility, dependability and exapandability (is that a word?)....   Depending on manufacturer, they come in limited configurations, which makes it where using them for graphics (CAD especially) hit-or-miss.  The CAD programs will upgrade every year or so and suddenly the video hardware isn't compatible and you cannot just change out the card in some of them.   

Regarding dependability - we have had power supplies, main boards, display panels, etc fry in them and we cannot just use an off the shelf component to fix them, so hopefully they are under warranty because replacement parts are generally anywhere from 50-300% more expensive than it would be for a desktop computer, and not in stock.

But man, they look great! =)

Yes, Apple started us down the road with sleek looking systems, but that's what the market demands, so we followed.   I personally don't use all-in-ones, but I don't care what my desk looks like, and I have a lot of room to spread out..

Best wishes on finding exactly what you need to get the job done!   New toys are wonderful (once you get the right ones)

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 05:36:38 PM »
I am no less healthy than before this virus took over so many.
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Diabetes like many.

The scary thing for me through this pandemic is that the medication I am on for my RA basically shuts down my immune system, so that makes me even more susceptible to getting any contagious virus. Lucky me huh? I have been staying home except for trips to the grocery store.

With all this time and nothing to do, I am now thoroughly comfortable with my new Yamaha TF Rack mixer and the app, but unfortunately absolutely no work to use it with.
So much about that...

Well glad you are healthy and practicing safe distancing. My SIL has RA and the meds may be as bad as the RA itself. It also affects her immune system, so she's having to be very careful...

That's all we can do man - try our best!  Nothing is a sure thing though.    Grocery delivery or pickup is cool. I haven't used it because I feel people like you and my SIL should have a first shot at it, but if this doesn't get better soon, I may start using it.

The good news is - it's starting to taper off a little (I follow the trends and predictions closely) and I believe the lockdown will help.

It won't keep us from getting sick - it will just keep us from ALL getting sick AT THE SAME TIME and overwhelming the medical systems.

That Yamaha is nice - I've worked with one, but alas, not enough space in my racks, and quite a bit more $$$ to get the configuration I want and need.  Have fun with it!

Stay healthy.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 05:50:17 PM »
Thank you John very much.
I think the whole hand washing thing will minimize the spread of lots of contagious things in the future.

I used the grocery delivery thing a few times... it's nice.
Make it a great day!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 06:01:19 PM »
John the last time I build systems for clients was almost 20 yrs ago, that's like a century in this business. The reason back then was simple and apparently still holds true today. The manufacturers throw together the cheapest thing they can get their hands on to sell. I had very few field failures because I was selective about components and cost was not an issue. If I ever buy another system other than tablets or laptops (no choice there) I will go back to what worked for me then.
When in doubt KISS

Artaudio

• Padawan
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 07:39:23 PM »
My thumbs are black and blue from sitting on them too long. None the less.... 

There has been a few discussions about how or if our industry will change in regards to microphone hygiene when this blows over.

The DPA Company has been putting out online seminars about cleaning headsets and handheld mics. However their suggestions require microphones to be out of service for at least 72 hours to allow them to dry and for any viruses to dissipate. In my travels, I've seen some pretty nasty 58 windscreens. Just wiping down the outside of the metal grill with an alcohol wipe won't kill some of the creepy crawlies that are on/in the inside windscreen.

Plus I can't see this option being very useful for the working Sound companies out there. Can you imagine the inventory of mics you'll need in order to  swap out vocal mics during a weekend festival? Especially of you have a band of 4 musicians that sing and they change out every hour. You could go through easily 20-30 58s in a day long run.

Have any of you had any thoughts you like to throw into the ring?

I think we may have to bulk buy foam windscreens and through them out after they have been used.

I cant imagine what Rappers are going to do by having to keep their grubby paws of the windscreens. Maybe this is natures way of natural selection.;-)

Cheers (Pull your thumbs out and let them breath once in a while)
Al T

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 08:03:35 PM »
First a lot of picky artists will bring their own mics. Second don't use that cheap 50% Isopropyl get 92% or better stuff. You can insert the foam into the grill and then hair-dry it. Less than 5 minutes for the process. A couple of new tools for some of you, Isopropyl alcohol a Hairdryer and tooth brush and do wash you hands beforehand. Here is the CDC advise:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/hand-hygiene.html
Cheers
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 08:12:53 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Artaudio

• Padawan
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 08:45:14 PM »
That would be a good system. You would still need to have a couple sets of handhelds in the inventory for a weekend fest and you would need to have a punter to do the cleaning. I don't think there would be any system that wouldn't need an extra hand who just dealt with mics for a festival. I think foam windscreens would still be the fastest and easiest. I practice using a foam windscreen when I'm traveling with an act and have to line check mics. I travel with my own mics and label each mic to the performer it belongs to.

I've been reading a few discussions about Ozone generators and their effectiveness on killing bacteria and viruses. Interesting stuff. I'm surprised that they are not looking closer at these machines for recycling masks and other PPE equipment.

The only pitfall I can see with the use of ozone is it corrosive nature towards certain metals. Titanium and Stainless Steel seems to hold up.

If mic grills were made of better material this could possibly be an option. You would only need to remove the grills and throw them into a small sealed box for about 10 - 30 min (depending on the size of the Ozone Generator) and it should be sterilized.  However you would still need to wipe down the mic handles with alcohol.

They have proven its effectiveness with the SARS virus a few years ago. But there has only been a small study with COvid-19. But the results are looking promising.

Keep those thumbs clean folks
AL T

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 07:13:01 PM »
I would not recommend Ozone methods of cleaning. The best non-destructive way is one Hospitals have used for years and that is UV-C light. A handheld unit will clean a mic in 2-3 minutes and without side effects. Phones are also effectively cleaned with units that will fit a smartphone.
Cheers and stay safe
When in doubt KISS

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 07:34:27 PM »
I would not recommend Ozone methods of cleaning. The best non-destructive way is one Hospitals have used for years and that is UV-C light. A handheld unit will clean a mic in 2-3 minutes and without side effects. Phones are also effectively cleaned with units that will fit a smartphone.
Cheers and stay safe

This is a great conversation right here...    Before our last show, we had a fill-in singer because our singer was out with the crud (probably not covid-19) so to be on the safe-side, I disassembled all of our mics, cleaned the foam with alcohol, and lysol, washed the screens.    Let the dry.  Did it again before the next gig with our full-time singer in place.

Ozone is great, it WILL kill the virus, but you have to insure it airs out. Put a fan on it blowing fresh air for a while, or blow a hair dryer across it.

Unfortunately, UV light will not kill the virus inside the foam.   My ex-wife was a microbiologist and one of her projects was seeing how long viruses/bacterium, etc would live on surfaces and in materials.

I can insure you that spraying alcohol, vinegar, lysol or even bleach on the mic and even the foam will not work - it has to penetrate it. All the way through.  Same way on all fabrics.

UV light will only get the surface, and not the inside - so, it may still be possible for a person to inhale particles that are impregnated in the foam.

Ozone machines on the other hand could penetrate it.   Someone will probably build an ozone chamber for the music industry, just big enough to hold a dozen mics at a time, and create enough ozone to only affect the microphones and anything in the chamber, then auto vent it to the exterior, and flush it with normal air.

Great opportunity right there for someone!    I think I will look into this!   Better go trademark my company.
Karaoke Kleaner (tm)...   Microbephone?     ShureKlean!

Artaudio

• Padawan
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 07:41:27 PM »
Here is another option.. What about putting your mic grills in the dishwasher and use a liquid dish detergent. Either have the Dishwasher air dry the grills or stick them on a dish rack to air dry. The only thing I can see with this is possible rusting of the grills. But the detergent should kill pretty much everything in site.

I know this wouldn’t be handy for a festival gig. But you could buy extra grills and keep them on rotation.

Thoughts?

Al T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 07:54:39 PM »
A far more practical method that I have used is a small jar filled with 90%+ Isopropyl alcohol would be much quicker and is portable. The alcohol dries quickly and without residue. It also removes small particles from the foam screens that are particularly detrimental to condenser diaphragms. Leave the internal foam in place since it would otherwise stretch and difficult to replace.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 07:58:52 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Artaudio

• Padawan
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 07:57:50 PM »
That’s not a bad idea. As long as you keep the punters from drinking it. The grills should dry off in a few minutes too. I wonder how many treatments you could do with a small container before it’s too contaminated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk