Author Topic: The plague has killed our conversation  (Read 11884 times)

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
Re: The plague has killed our conversation
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2020, 08:00:31 PM »
It needs to be a process that allows someone to place a large number of mics into a box or device that will do the cleaning automatically.

Foolproof, because a lot of sound techs are fools especially at churches hahaha.

UV+ozone..   

I'll just build a bigger one of these

https://www.gearstyles.com/products/uv-disinfection-box?variant=32035731406919&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwvtX0BRAFEiwAGWJyZGJrN7G7L6zrFzj9u1u2yxn2rMKktrKTQRd8LmypKgCme2nzBfJKihoCl7MQAvD_BwE

Artaudio

• Padawan
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2020, 08:07:29 PM »
Amen Brother.. Does anyone have a 3D printer sitting around?

uV and Ozone. That should be a 1-2 punch right there.

Cheers
Al T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2020, 08:12:30 PM »
I would stay away from Ozone since it has detrimental effects on plastics (Mylar and foam). Take two small Jars and a coffee filter, dead germs won't affect you but particles may have a negative effect on condenser based mics. SM 58 have a foam screen in front of the diaphragm, not much you can do but brush off any debris.
Cheers
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:14:48 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2020, 08:14:16 PM »

I think I've got it!       Build a box that has 12 plexiglass boxes to hold mics around the inside perimeter - then in the center a e27 Germicidal lamp ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m0TQjBRcFo

Ultra-Violent light hahahaha

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2020, 08:17:43 PM »
I would stay away from Ozone since it has detrimental effects on plastics (Mylar and foam). Take two small Jars and a coffee filter, dead germs won't affect you but particles may have a negative effect on condenser based mics. SM 58 have a foam screen in front of the diaphragm, not much you can do but brush off any debris.

Just spoke with a friend about this idea... They use germicidal uv+ozone in the hospital to clean just about everything.  We're talking a few minutes at a time, not days of beaming sunlight here.
He said they have been putting their phone handsets in these things for years, and no issues have been noted.   I doubt Cisco/Polycom have uv-stablized handsets

Artaudio

• Padawan
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2020, 08:18:02 PM »
I totally agree. I wouldn’t put the whole mic in for an ozone treatment. I would unscrew the grill and just put that in there. You can pick up replacement 58 grills for $5-$8. And after this I bet some mic companies might make replacement grills even more available and cheaper.

I gather Ozone I’d pretty ruff on certain metals and some electronics.

Al T

Artaudio

• Padawan
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2020, 08:20:36 PM »

I think I've got it!       Build a box that has 12 plexiglass boxes to hold mics around the inside perimeter - then in the center a e27 Germicidal lamp ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m0TQjBRcFo

Ultra-Violent light hahahaha
Don’t go into the light!!! JUST DON’T!!!

hahahaha

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2020, 08:24:54 PM »
I totally agree. I wouldn’t put the whole mic in for an ozone treatment. I would unscrew the grill and just put that in there. You can pick up replacement 58 grills for $5-$8. And after this I bet some mic companies might make replacement grills even more available and cheaper.

I gather Ozone I’d pretty ruff on certain metals and some electronics.

Lengthy conversation with a friend tends to indicate the cool-clave is not bad at all on electronics...

They put their cell phones in the boxes, their desk phone handsets and wireless headsets... also  mice, keyboards, etc.....     Been doing it for years and never any issues.

http://www.genlantis.com/ozillanest.html

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2020, 08:31:06 PM »
Here's one of the coolclave units they use at a hospital lab. They use it for EVERYTHING. Especially since the pandemic hit. Everything they can fit in it.  They have bigger ones too that they have put entire notebook computers into.

http://www.genlantis.com/coolclave-sanitizer.html

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2020, 08:50:28 PM »
Of all the methods discussed I will still go with the Alcohol treatment as the cheapest and most reliable. It can also be scaled up with a bigger jar  :) The main advantage it has over UV is that it will cover all surfaces as UV depends on line of sight leaving areas of non-coverage. Fine for flat surfaces (phones) which a mic screen is not. For the technically challenged DO NOT include the capsule in this process ::)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:07:54 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2020, 09:22:32 PM »
Of all the methods discussed I will still go with the Alcohol treatment as the cheapest and most reliable. It can also be scaled up with a bigger jar  :) The main advantage it has over UV is that it will cover all surfaces as UV depends on line of sight leaving areas of non-coverage. Fine for flat surfaces (phones) which a mic screen is not. For the technically challenged DO NOT include the capsule in this process ::)

But the lamp produces ozone, which DOES penetrate all soft surfaces...  including masks, both sides of masks.   even though the light shines on only one side.  The person I was just talking to has taken hundreds of cultures and nothing lived through the UV+Ozone. Which is even better than the newly approved method, vaporized hydrogen peroxide that he has tested and seen only about 75% effective.     I told him I would happily loan him a few mics to test out. 8-)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2020, 10:06:43 PM »
Ozone is a undesirable gas around Mylar and most other plastic films. Dealing with gold sputtered diaphragms, which this post is not about, is a whole other world in condenser mics that the EPA is about to close the door on in 2023. Dry-cleaners need to find another solution or close shop since their cleaning fluid is commonly used for this (Fluorocarbon based). The best cleaner was already banned several years ago by the EPA.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 10:09:16 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Artaudio

• Padawan
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2020, 10:47:33 PM »

Ozone is a undesirable gas around Mylar and most other plastic films. Dealing with gold sputtered diaphragms.... Dry-cleaners need to find another solution or close shop since their cleaning fluid is commonly used for this (Fluorocarbon based). The best cleaner was already banned several years ago by the EPA.

SHIT!!! Where will a guy get his Gold Sputtered Suit cleaned after 2023..  I'm up the creek without a diaphragm! :lol: ;)

Al T

PS. Sorry I had to go there!!

Artaudio

• Padawan
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2020, 11:00:35 PM »
Hey John,

I like the marketing they have for that unit.. Especially "Fun and easy to use" :D

You could easily put a dozen 58's in there.

-Rapid deodorizing and sterilization cycles of 8 minutes
-Fun and easy to use, with convenient cycle indicator and colorful chamber LEDs
-Stylish unit with small footprint but large chamber capacity
-Safe to use. No heat, liquid or corrosive chemicals; no damage or risk to any items
-Kills many types of bacteria, fungus, and viruses*
-Reliable, long lasting, and low power consuming unit
-Very little maintenance and no calibrations needed

The price is quite palatable. $550..

Al T

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2020, 11:14:53 PM »
I like the marketing they have for that unit.. Especially "Fun and easy to use" :D

You could easily put a dozen 58's in there.

I am going to get my friend to try and grow something easy on a handful of my sennheisers, then coldclave them and test them.
He said he would be happy to, but their lab is overwhelmed currently since a lot of things are being routed to them due to the pandemic (they don't deal with coronavirus/covid-19 but some of the labs that due are routing their normal load over to his lab)...

I'll get him mics this week and see what happens!