Author Topic: COVID-19 and this Business/hobby  (Read 2208 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
COVID-19 and this Business/hobby
« on: May 19, 2020, 10:00:05 PM »
As we all know by now the "COVID-19 Pandemic" has affected this sector more than most. Those that depend on income for their livelihood are finding other ways  to deal with it. Those that are doing this part-time but rely on income are also looking for other means to fill the void. Those lucky enough to do this for the pleasure and fulfillment that Music provides are also being deprived. I myself am in the latter class and from all indications will not be able to enjoy this for the next two years, a long time. Some music organizations are projecting a two year time period before Choruses can sing together, my main focus. So what solutions exist that some of you are using to fill this void ? You will see a flurry of equipment sales in this sector as time goes by. Give us your insight.
Cheers
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: COVID-19 and this Business/hobby
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 07:55:20 AM »
For those of you that are looking for resources to deal with this here is a site NATS that has many resources that may be of help. Be patient with the 2 and a half hour Webinar it will take about 6 minutes before you hear sound  :). Lots of good information that may apply to you.
https://www.nats.org/cgi/page.cgi/_article.html/Featured_Stories_/NATS_COVID_Resources_Page
Cheers
 P.S. My wife's chorus at present is using ZOOM for their weekly rehearsals.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 07:57:42 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Artaudio

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 11:50:43 PM »
Check out Jamulus. It is the best of the worst out there. Latency is the biggest issue. But with Jamulus you can easily host your own server publicly or privately.

None of the online software are perfect. But it’s what we have.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 04:31:20 PM »
I'm very fortunate to have a good paying day job. My weekend and summer sound gigs are gone for the coming year. I have a lot of friends that made their living playing in cover and tribute bands, and I know many of them are probably not making their rent payments as we speak. Those that did a good job with taxes & records are collecting unemployment, which is available to gig workers for the first time, but it's not going to last. I fear the industry will never really be the same.

I have 2 portable systems, and will likely be selling the larger PA next summer when things start to come back. I had a weekly club gig every Sunday night with a house band. I doubt that will come back, as the club won't be able to pay the same rate. So now everyone is trying to learn live web performances.  I've had a lot of musicians asking me for help with this, so I just started looking in to it. I watched a video on JamKazam yesterday, so we'll see where that leads.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 06:27:27 PM »
With major events like Coachella Art & Music Festival, Stagecoach and Burning Man to name a few already cancelled or postponed some experts are even predicting later in 2021 as the new target date for these events. We solved the audience issue with TV and Video but the performer and realism end lacks a solution. For now a vaccine seems to be the only solution.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 06:29:49 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 08:52:16 PM »
Well Abbey Road studios started opening in the UK. Had a forty piece orchestra in their large studio that can easily handle 80. Anyone here have a gig?
When in doubt KISS

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 07:29:25 AM »
Interesting approach here: a production / event tech company started offering their facilities for free to local bands for streaming concerts (1-2 events per week). Very strict hygiene requirements, plexiglass dividers between musicians, no fans / family members on site, but still, it's a semblance of a gig.

Their approach is: since we're currently just sitting around without anything to do, we might as well just make this investment in the local band scene. And of course this approach may have some marketing benefits for them.

So we will actually have a gig this month!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 04:57:40 PM »
Creativity and technology may change the way gigs will be done in the near future. With 5G rolling out we'll see if it lives up to its hype. No noticeable delay will certainly make a difference in audio. Holographic bands may be interesting, nothing new since Disney's version from ~15 yrs ago other than the cost and quality.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 06:36:41 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS