Author Topic: MF 5.1.1 Released  (Read 12252 times)

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
Re: MF 5.1.1 Released
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2020, 08:50:10 PM »
First rehearsal with my 4 piece band since upgrading our DL32R to MF 5.1.1....   

The previous rehearsal allowed me to record the entire rehearsal in multi-track direct to disk.

We got about 1.5 hours in and I noticed the iPad was no longer showing the recording active.

Took the drive to a computer and there were 8  file1-file8.wav files that were 8:59 long, and then file9.wav and file10.wav were 19:02 long each.   Which is VERY odd, they are usually all the same length.
That's recording 26 channels.

Not sure why it stopped.   

The iPad never disconnected that I saw, nobody saw their's disconnect and everything sounded okay, nothing odd.

Guess I will try to do another recording that is 1.5 hours and 26 tracks and see what happens.

Just a word of warning that there may be a limit now, either by accident or on purpose.   

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2020, 08:51:24 PM »
correct, after the first round of bad reviews i avoided the 5.? update.
Do look forward to using this new one, I already iike the enhanced fx.
Just have to get used to the mechanics of moving thru screens quickly and efficiently
again.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

DigtheDL

• Youngling
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2020, 10:59:21 PM »
Rdmitch, I have the same issue with my DL1608.  It has the 30 pin connector and I'd like to step up to a newer iPad and MF 5.1.1

B&H says they'll have some of the Lightning kits in the next week.  Hope that's true.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1019813-REG/mackie_lightning_dock_servicekit_dl806_dl1608_lightning_dock_replacement.html

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2020, 11:09:14 PM »
took the plunge today since most my shows are cancelled anyway and
uploaded. 5.1.1 on both the 16 and 32.  Only to find that 2 of my ipods don’t support
this version since it requires ios 11 to run and older ipods only run up to IOS 9.somethiing.
The air2 is fine .  I was able to swap with my wife for her newer ipad since she doesn’t
use it anyway.   Next dilemma of the day,  is my 1608 is a 30 pin and guess what Mackie
discontinued?    Yep, the service kit to change the 30 pin to lightning plug. I can use the
dongle but I hate that look and don’t want the ipad sitting loose.  After searching the web
I found the kit (thank you Full Compass) and it shows in stock at only double the original
price !!!   Ordered it and hope it’s really in stock

I still have to keep MF 4 on my pads since there are shows I do that I log into the house
Mackie board which I’m sure they will never update

Now..I have to learn the new V5.1.1
Been 3 months since I  ran the program or even turned on the board. This virus stuff really
has been a royal pain

Your in luck if its not in stock a waste of $$. I would never us the stereo iPad feature. Get a separate way to record what you sound like in the audience, it will be an eyeopener. Most phones have a flat response and you find out what you sound like too the audience. Using the Dl1608 as only WiFi or connected wired to a router for control is the best way.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 11:11:20 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2020, 01:04:28 AM »
the adaptor,has nothing to do with recording. it’s so I can dock the ipad air 2 with the lightning plug into the 1608.
Just replaces the old 30 pin connector.
Sorry if I was not clear on the OP

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2020, 01:06:48 AM »
Rdmitch, I have the same issue with my DL1608.  It has the 30 pin connector and I'd like to step up to a newer iPad and MF 5.1.1

B&H says they'll have some of the Lightning kits in the next week.  Hope that's true.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1019813-REG/mackie_lightning_dock_servicekit_dl806_dl1608_lightning_dock_replacement.html
I checked their site and it showed mid june. Tried to use the notify me when in stock button which got me nowhere.
The other sites show its discontinued and thought maybe B&H would end up not getting any. Paid too much I’m sure, but wanted to get it ordered while I had a bug up my butt about the project getting done.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 01:09:38 AM by Rdmitch »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2020, 03:07:04 PM »
46 hrs. should be enough and no disconnects but it only applies to the two routers mentioned an of course only residential traffic. This could change in a gig with lots of phones when its allowed again. The /ac routers did have disconnects in this setting so /ax seemed to solve this problem.
Now for function tests when I have time.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 03:12:11 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2020, 03:22:43 PM »
46 hrs. should be enough and no disconnects but it only applies to the two routers mentioned an of course only residential traffic. This could change in a gig with lots of phones when its allowed again. The /ac routers did have disconnects in this setting so /ax seemed to solve this problem.
Now for function tests when I have time.

No disconnects with 3 tablets connected since I installed the update 5 days ago...  VERY heavy RF environment. Over 50 devices on just my business network with 8 APs live in addition to the one in the sound system.

The only concern has been that after 10 .wav files and 112 minutes of recording, the recording of 26 tracks stopped.     Have not had time to test it further.

Allllll the other issues I was having, such as when a person connected, they could adjust the MAINS instead of their own aux mix, even though it said they were blocked out, have apparently been fixed...

Faders moving smoother....... 
Crashing not happening upon startup of some tablets without reloading/saving the show or making changes on another tablet.

I'm much happier!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2020, 03:46:42 PM »
What's the router your DL is connected to, /ac or /ax? Name and model will do.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 03:49:56 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2020, 04:07:14 PM »
What's the router your DL is connected to, /ac or /ax? Name and model will do.

Right now back to the old Apple Airport Express as I pulled the SonicWall TZ350W off of it during our "quarantine" and sold it to a client that needed it to setup VPN for his business and have not replaced it yet.

I've got a couple TP-Link AX3000s in stock, but have not tried them since there's nothing to be gained in this system for me.    With the SonicWall, I can use directional antennas, but have not needed to.
Well, since March, I've only needed 20ft max =)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2020, 04:42:47 PM »
So from what you are telling me is that you have been running (Continuously?) for 5 days on a AE (/ac unit). I'm trying to figure out if MF5.1.1 (MF5.1.0 failed but under /ac units) fixed disconnects or /ax. I really didn't want to go back to /ac routers since my current net is /ax. The /ax addresses the high traffic problem that /ac doesn't but even helps /ac clients.

P.S. I doubt anyone is willing to spent $450+ for a router unless its for business use such as your SonicWall TZ350W . The TP-Link AX3000s would be more likely candidates.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 04:50:38 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2020, 04:50:07 PM »
So from what you are telling me is that you have been running (Continuously?) for 5 days on a AE (/ac unit). I'm trying to figure out if MF5.1.1 (MF5.1.0 failed but under /ac units) fixed disconnects or /ax. I really didn't want to go back to /ac routers since my current net is /ax. The /ax addresses the high traffic problem that /ac doesn't but even helps /ac clients.

P.S. I doubt anyone is willing to spent $450+ for a router unless its for business use such as your SonicWall TZ350W .

The TP Links I have are ax, the SonicWall is still only ac...         I have not used the TPLink on the sound system, but I used it's Asus counterpart AX3000 as a test and with it, I was getting disconnects so I ditched it and pulled the SonicWall out of stock.    After this week's show, I'll try to pull a TPLink out and give it a shot.  I think they are 130ish my cost. Not bank breakers by any means.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2020, 07:43:56 PM »
For this application I would prefer a router without external antenna but haven't found any /ax capable, its less likely to be damaged (haven't looked much). Let us know how the Archer (TP-Link) AX-3000 works out.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 12:14:53 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2020, 07:48:05 PM »
For this application I would prefer a router without external antenna but haven't found any /ax capable, its less likely to be damaged (haven't looked much). Let us know how the Archer (TP-Link) AX-3000 woks out.
I like external capability because I have the thing in my rack, and that does attenuate the signal a good bit.  Having a little yagi at festival shows in downtown areas with heavy RF can ensure no drop out at all, even 300ft away.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2020, 07:00:43 AM »
I decided to retest the /ac router to determine whether MF 5.1.1 or /ax was the solution to disconnects. It is now 21hrs. on the Netgear AC3000 (R7900) without failure. I would have to conclude that Mackie finally fixed the problem in V5.1.1.  :thu: Hope it holds out over the next 10-15 hrs.
When in doubt KISS