Author Topic: MF 5.1.1 Released  (Read 12593 times)

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
Re: MF 5.1.1 Released
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2020, 01:46:16 PM »
I decided to retest the /ac router to determine whether MF 5.1.1 or /ax was the solution to disconnects. It is now 21hrs. on the Netgear AC3000 (R7900) without failure. I would have to conclude that Mackie finally fixed the problem in V5.1.1.  :thu: Hope it holds out over the next 10-15 hrs.

After we last spoke, I pulled out one of the cheap AC3000s I have and used that... no disconnects at all in a day or so.       I'm just going to go back to the Airport though because it's soooo much smaller and right now, I'm just using it in my studio with only TWO gigs on the calendar in the next month.  (normally it would be about 6-10 shows in the same time).

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2020, 02:49:25 PM »
I decided to retest the /ac router to determine whether MF 5.1.1 or /ax was the solution to disconnects. It is now 21hrs. on the Netgear AC3000 (R7900) without failure. I would have to conclude that Mackie finally fixed the problem in V5.1.1.  :thu: Hope it holds out over the next 10-15 hrs.

After we last spoke, I pulled out one of the cheap AC3000s I have and used that... no disconnects at all in a day or so.       I'm just going to go back to the Airport though because it's soooo much smaller and right now, I'm just using it in my studio with only TWO gigs on the calendar in the next month.  (normally it would be about 6-10 shows in the same time).
I think you meant the TP-Link AX3000. My Netgear AC3000 is still going at 28 hrs. The real problem can't be tested right now and I don't have a way to flood the frequency to delay the beacon message and cause a delay. This is the real cause for disconnects. It's controlled by the individual clients not receiving beacon messages which varies with iOS, Android and the PC's app.
When in doubt KISS

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2020, 02:55:23 PM »

I think you meant the TP-Link AX3000. My Netgear AC3000 is still going at 28 hrs. The real problem can't be tested right now and I don't have a way to flood the frequency to delay the beacon message and cause a delay. This is the real cause for disconnects. It's controlled by the individual clients not receiving beacon messages which varies with iOS, Android and the PC's app.

TP-Link AX3000, yes...   sorry.   I've got quite a few different routers and APs on the mind the last few days...    hahaha   We just installed 19 Ubiquiti AC PRO APs at a church yesterday, finishing up an install that required a lot - A LOT - of cable pulling.. whew.   Glad to have that one done!   nice setup.   Now I get to update their fiber on Friday.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2020, 04:19:09 AM »
Shutting things down after 42 hrs. no disconnects. For now I conclude that MF V5.1.1 has solved the disconnect problem. Keep in mind that 38 access points mostly at a low signal level is no match for a bunch of phones within 20-40 ft. Time will tell.
When in doubt KISS

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2020, 09:05:22 PM »
all my updates are done, installed the service pack lightning plug adaptor kit on my 1608 so I can use my  “other” ipad (ios 11)with the MF 5.1.1program.
Seems to work well except for some reason it will not play music off the ipad thru the dedicated ipad channel. Anyone experience this phenomenon?
Your never to old to learn something stupid

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2020, 10:01:08 PM »
all my updates are done, installed the service pack lightning plug adaptor kit on my 1608 so I can use my  “other” ipad (ios 11)with the MF 5.1.1program.
Seems to work well except for some reason it will not play music off the ipad thru the dedicated ipad channel. Anyone experience this phenomenon?
It's one of the known problems according to the Mackie 5.1.1 release notes that I mentioned earlier on.  http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=1570.msg18492#msg18492
and  http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=1570.msg18495#msg18495
So for now you didn't need the lightning kit just to lock it in since you have no playback or recording.
Wait for MF V5.1.2  :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 10:09:59 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

DigtheDL

• Youngling
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2020, 11:49:00 PM »

Rdmitch, I'm glad the update worked out for you.  B&H got their adapter kits in and I'm thinking about making the jump to MF 5.1.1 as well.  Playing music from the iPad or recording is not important to me.  No hurry, but please let me know if you think the new features on MF 5.1.1 are worth it.  Thanks!

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2020, 11:59:53 PM »
up in the air on this.
if I only had a 1608 i would say not worth losing the ability to play music directly from the ipad.
Really very minimal to gain from MF4..no added quantity of fx but a few new ones.  I am a little disappointed that the fx screen scroll up on each channel is gone. I  had no issue with the
original effects. i  had to put in the adaptor and upgrade to a ipad gen 4 to meet the ios 11 requirement.
I can remove the new adaptor i just bought and go back to the 30 pin which worked fine in the playback mode until they
fix this glitch.

but since i mostly run a DL32 and now get 4 upgrades FX it was worth it overall. i can survive without the ipad playback on the 1608 in order to have MF 5.1.1 on both my setups. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 12:44:52 AM by Rdmitch »

DigtheDL

• Youngling
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2020, 05:08:27 PM »
Rdmitch, thanks for the great summary.  I just have a DL1608 so probably not worth it for me.  I bought my DL when they first came out and I've been impressed with all the updates and new capabilities that Mackie has provided.  It's gotten a lot of use and has been very reliable.  Probably our biggest issue was iPad's overheating in outdoor summer shows.  It'll be time to move on to something newer eventually but I'm not in a hurry.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2020, 06:06:21 PM »
no problem. 
i’m still deciding if i should stick with the lightning plug and forsake the ipad connection or go back to the
30 pin with the adaptor and lose the security of locking it in place.
Had same issue with heat. i took one of those reflective aluminum things you put in you car window to
keep the heat out and drape it over the board on a little metal stand.
 Also have a small usb fan that blows on the ipad when i carry it around undocked.  Just plug the fan
into to power block that fits in my pocket.  has saved me a few times in summer.

Overall I have no issues with the 1608 and have done over 300 shows with it.
Keep it clean, carry a spare cable, router and power cord with me and it’s always served me
well

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2020, 12:06:53 AM »
Today I did sound for a Juneteenth celebration.  It was on the West Steps of the Colorado Capitol building.  My first time downtown since the lockdown.  Bunch of graffiti on the building.  I'm guessing from the rioting.  Some windows boarded up too.  Anyway, back to my DL16S and MF 5.1.1.  I really didn't have any problems that bugged me about MF 5.1, so the changes are nice, but not much to worry about.  I really love this mixer.  Had one of the local TV stations looking for a Mult Box.  I gave him a connection to Aux 1 and he was quite happy.  While I was typing this, the TV station report came on and a whole 3 seconds of audio that had come through the PA was part of it.  System was up for about 5 hours.  About 1500 in the audience and rain mostly masked.  (And people in Denver really hate rain as it happens so rarely.)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2020, 04:41:07 PM »
i'm still deciding if i should stick with the lightning plug and forsake the iPad connection or go back to the
30 pin with the adapter and lose the security of locking it in place.
Just remove the 30 pin board preferably with the cables that go to the main board and you will have the room to just lock the iPad and use it via WiFi. You will also avoid the ground loop noise from that connection to the iPad. This was all discussed years ago when the "white noise" became a problem for some.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 04:48:57 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2020, 05:15:02 PM »

Had same issue with heat. i took one of those reflective aluminum things you put in you car window to
keep the heat out and drape it over the board on a little metal stand.

I did the exact same thing and never had an iPad overheat again. I'll admit I live in the Pac NW where it doesn't get that hot, so YMMV.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2020, 08:04:59 PM »
i pulled out the lightning connector today and went back to the 30 pin with the dongle.
i was going to leave it with the lightning plug until i realized with the ipad docked it doesn’t charge.
No charge and no music was not a good thing and outweighed the ipad security.  I’ll find other options
to keep it in place during transport.

once they figure out this glitch(s) i’ll reinstall the adaptor.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 08:07:26 PM by Rdmitch »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2020, 10:46:17 PM »
i was going to leave it with the lightning plug until i realized with the ipad docked it doesn’t charge.
Both the 30pin and lightning charge the iPad (slowly) unless the Dl1608 is off or the 5V is defective.
When in doubt KISS