Author Topic: DL1608 will not power up  (Read 1468 times)

john54724

• Youngling
DL1608 will not power up
« on: August 17, 2020, 02:52:53 PM »
After hundreds of shows working fine, and even a show the day before...today my DL1608 refused to power up.  Yes I confirmed power to the connector and even tried my back up power supply with no luck.  I see a small reset button between the LAN and power inputs.  I tried to hold that down while turning on the power switch and holding it..still no joy.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
John Nielsen

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: DL1608 will not power up
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 04:16:55 PM »
John since you are out of warranty (owned since MF3.2) unless you have the means to troubleshoot and repair a surface mount PC board I would say that you will need a replacement for the DL1608. Mackie's repair charge is more than the cost of some of the new mixers. Depending on your flexibility with equipment and software will determine your replacement choice. If $ are critical a used unit may be a choice. Mine will be ready for sale in about a week.
When in doubt KISS

john54724

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 05:12:14 PM »
I ordered a new replacement today from Sweetwater just in case...I can return it if not needed.

Called the Mackie Tech line, spoke with Jordan who was very helpful.  I had done all the stuff he was going to suggest.  He was thinking it could be a cable that came loose inside, but getting inside is not easy.

Tell me more about your used DL1608.  Send info to me on my email: Nielsen at Bloomer dot net.  I need the 30 pin connector as both my iPads use that connector.  I would move this 30 pin over to the new one, if I go that route.

Perhaps I send this one back to you to perform an autopsy and perhaps find a fix so I end up with a back up unit.

Thank you,
John

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 10:30:35 PM »
John let me be clear on this. I have the knowledge and some of the equipment for determining whats wrong with your unit but I don't have the solder/de-solder equipment that would cost almost as much as the mixer not to mention the time involved. My unit was originally a 30 pin converted to Lightning but can be returned to 30pin. I have all the parts. It's usage was low in it's first 2 years and after that was only used to determine problems with the DL1608 on this forum. I have taken it apart for the original autopsy here and let me assure you that there is no cable inside that would prevent boot-up except for the soldered in power cable (3.5mm connector) to the power switch and back to the main board connector. There are  nine power converters on the main board alone some of which would prevent power up. There is the PSoC that generates the power good signal and so on... Lots of possible causes for your problem. Do either Leds by the power/phantom switch light up when you turn them on? If not then the +/- 15v (green) is not there or the 48V (red) Phantom power. Both need the 12V power to work. This would leave the power switch to be defective or the spade lug connections to be disconnected, a highly unlikely condition but not impossible.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 05:23:20 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS