Author Topic: MF V5.2.0 and the DL1608  (Read 2903 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
MF V5.2.0 and the DL1608
« on: September 25, 2020, 04:14:19 PM »
Based on Mackie's "known issues" list there is only one issue remaining with MF related to the DL1608 that has existed since it's inception and that is the reliability of the recording/playback function. Being of questionable value depending on your use of recording or playback and the fact that there are better solutions readily available it is simply a non-issue. If anyone here has additional issues with MF V5.2.0 and the DL1608 or other DL's please post so we can all benefit from your knowledge. For those looking at Android based tablets don't waste your time and money on the 32bit processors based units I have yet to find a working one. The secret list from Mackie of working 32 bit units has yet to be posted  :) . Here is the V5.2.0 known issues list most of which pertain to the Axis and other DL's:
Known Issues
(including, but not limited to):
• FX do not reset to default settings when recalling  default snapshot. (so set it it to what you want anyway certainly not a show stopper and probably closer to what you want anyway)
• Cannot update DL32R through DC16’s iPad control port when upgrading from 4.6.2. DL32R must be updated  via Wi-Fi  (A procedural issue )
• FX controls cannot be assigned to User Encoder  Mode [DC16]. (Axis)
• DC16 displays a non-existent tap function for Mod Delay. (Axis)
• Master Fader requires force quit when switching the wired connection between DC16 and DL806 or between DC16 and DL1608. (Nonsense since when does the DC16 have any control over the DL1608/806)
• If you are experiencing glitches during docked iPad recording, it’s recommended to dedicate an iPad  in the dock with a third-party recording app **.  We recommend Presonus Capture, Auria and DAW Multitrack. These can be found and downloaded  from Apple’s App store. Presonus Capture and DAW Multitrack both record in the background, but Auria  and Cubasis do not. This is handy if you only have  one iPad [DL806 / DL1608]. (First this should be under "Known issues and workarounds" and since when is it handy when the app doesn't work when you have only one iPad ???)
• Master Fader does not auto-switch from wired to wireless when docking / undocking [DL806 / DL1608]. (only is a issue when un-docking, so reconnect not a showstopper)
• Master Fader can disconnect while recording using  the DL806 / DL1608 with docked iPad. Switch to offline then online again in devices view. (Not always possible but a restart will fix that. Stopping record is still possible)
Known issues and current workaround solutions:
• Wi-Fi on Windows
• Issue: Switching Wi-Fi networks can prevent Master Fader from connecting and/or re-connecting to DL Mixers. (Who does that during a gig??)
* Solution 1: Reboot Windows 10 with auto-connect to Wi-Fi networks disabled for all networks other than the network (access point) where the mixer is connected or connect manually after reboot. (nonsense it only requires a reconnect to the correct network via setup wifi. If it requires more than that its a reboot of the DL)
• Solution 2: Hardwire directly using wired Ethernet. (I use this most of the time and it certainly is not a issue of W10)
System Requirements
• Android: v7.0 or higher required         (requires Google Play Store access to install)     
• iOS: v11.0 or higher required     
• Windows 10  (V7 also works just fine)    
• macOS 10.12 or higher required
Supported Devices
• DC16 Axis System      • DL16S      • DL32S      • DL32R      • DL1608      • DL806

My V6 Android tablet works just fine as does W7.
** Since the DL1608 can only record two channels why use a multichannel app when Voice Record Pro 7 works just fine with many more features!

My Commentary
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 02:50:47 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
Re: MF V5.2.0 and the DL1608
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 10:20:35 AM »
Hi WK154

I've not been round these parts for a while, thanks for keeping tabs on this.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 03:48:02 AM »
After rescuing my Surface Pro 7 from the black screen of death (yes M$ graduated from blue to black  :)) I found the usual power cycling of the DL1608 necessary to reconnect. Old habits die hard  :).
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 03:14:52 AM »
After 48 hrs on the W10 surface pro 7 there have been no disconnects and everything else seems to be like 5.1.1. Short of the record playback issue I have found no showstoppers, so this is as good as it gets for MF for the DL1608.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 04:30:11 AM »
After several days using the latest version of W10 Microsoft and Dell releases, iPadOS 14.0.1 and Android V10 has not affected the stability of MF. Android V11 is soon to be released and hopefully it will have no effect on MF.
Cheers
When in doubt KISS

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 08:21:28 PM »
In this year 2020, as we find the the populace and planet alike tested in a myriad of ways, the world is all just the bit better with your relentless pursuit of check and balance.
Thank you. Cheers

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 04:47:09 PM »
One note on pen usage for tablets. My S6 S-pen is useless for controlling faders and other large area controls (mute, solo etc.)  but your finger or a 99 cent stylus will do just fine. The Surface Pro 7 pen works just fine and I don't have an Apple pen for test but most likely works as well.
Cheers
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 12:28:52 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

nedorama

• Padawan
    • The Toys Band Instagram page
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 08:21:18 PM »
Appreciate the detail in your notes - thanks!

One thought - given 82% of Android users are on 7.0 or above, it's not worth Mackie's time to test any Android devices on anything lower, or older than 2016. Your particular tablet may work on Marshmallow, but another brand may not. Joys of programming for an OS that's so spread out that 46% of installed base are on an OS 3+ years old.
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 04:03:40 AM »
Thanks nedorama. Keep in mind that it's not always about the OS but the app. Case in point is the X-Air app that still runs on Android V5 unlike MF now on V6 and as you stated maybe not all V6 devices. I have also not found any 32 bit Android devices that run MF even with Android V9. It's clearly up to the app provider such as Mackie to make it work.
P.S. Just bit the bullet on a Samsung Tab S7+ with my S6 trade in.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 12:43:49 AM »
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ under Android v10 is working just like my former S6 tab. Yes the S-Pen is broken so only your fingers or a 99cent pen will have to do. A lot cheaper if you loose the 99cent pen your fingers are another story. So Mackie can add the S-Pen to their problem list. Display wise I only get 11 faders and the mains  :(.  Is anyone here even using Android tablets?

P.S. The S7+ is very responsive but then it should be for the $.
When in doubt KISS

nedorama

• Padawan
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2020, 01:59:08 AM »
Not a problem - sure, it can be added to a enhancement request list but not Mackie’s problem to deal with each company’s android implementation or accessories. I’d rather they focus on reliability for MacOS and Android overall as I’m guessing most users would want.

If Mackie could implement Ideascale similar to what Avid used to have, then users could vote to prioritize what’s important to the greatest group.
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2020, 04:19:57 AM »
Nedorama I wouldn't call it an enhancement since it is a bug and to point out the obvious that X-Air/M-Air work just fine with the S-Pen. It's clear to me that the talent dealing with MF isn't up to the task to the extent that Behringer's is. Fortunately for Mackie there is a workaround once more. Samsung is a major force in the Android World and their Tab S6/S7 would be tested devices.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 04:21:32 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

nedorama

• Padawan
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2020, 04:36:13 AM »
Does MF work fine on your tablet? Then the app is fine. If you want to use an additional accessory like a stylus, that would be an enhancement.

As a former iOS and Android BT connected device developer, I'm aware that Samsung has a large market share - that doesn't mean Mackie should spend time getting MF to work with an accessory not every Samsung owner will have vs. working on compatibility with other popular Android tablets.

Understand you're passionate as you own one, but I look at it from Mackie's standpoint - limited dev resources means focusing on what matters to most vs. catering to niche audiences. Looking at the reviews, they have bigger fish to fry on Android than making your pen work, but hopefully they'll get around do it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mackie.masterfader5&hl=en_US&gl=US
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2020, 05:08:45 AM »
Just to clear up a point the S-Pen is standard on the S6/S7 not an accessory like the iPad or Surface. Since I am a user I look at it from a user's point of view. Do you work for Mackie?
Cheers

P.S. Mackie doesn't even have the courtesy to inform their users what Android tablets they have tested on the DL series. It's a selective policy since for other products they do list the tabs that they have tested in Android controlled products.  :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 09:08:08 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS