Author Topic: Mackie DL1608 Using Stereo Playback for live gig backing Tracks  (Read 1494 times)

gerryc123

• Initiate
Mackie DL1608 Using Stereo Playback for live gig backing Tracks
« on: December 02, 2020, 06:19:07 AM »
Hi all,
I am mixing backing Tracks to play to accompany me on an acoustic Gig. I am mixing and mastering everything in Pro Tools and bouncing 24 bit .WAV files to play along with. I know the levels are perfect for CD mastering and YouTube BUT they show red peak lights on the DL1608 CONSTANTLY. But nowhere else. Does this mean the level is too hot, (I mean, is it REALLy too hot)  if so what level should I set my LUFS to ?? I want this to sound perfect and I am doing a lot of work on these tracks. Hope someone can help. I got 40 tunes mixed and need to get them onto my iPad. If anyone is familiar with WLM Plus that is the PLUG-in I am using to monitor my levels.
Thank you. Gerry Collins

Weogo

• Knight
Re: Mackie DL1608 Using Stereo Playback for live gig backing Tracks
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 11:11:25 PM »
Hi Gerry,

There appears to be a difference between what the DL1608 expects as 0db full scale and what the file has.
I would take a 30 second clip of your music and re-record it at a 3db lower level, again at -6db, and -9db.
See how these look on the DL1608.
Momentary red peaks aren't terrible, but nothing should be staying in the red.

Please let us know what works for you.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Mackie DL1608 Using Stereo Playback for live gig backing Tracks
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 07:55:09 PM »
Hi Gerry,
Welcome to the non-standard world of audio. 7 or 8 yrs ago this was discussed here and my conclusion was that Mackie's meters and analog mixer output where not only incorrect as stated in their manual but also non linear in the region around 0 on the meter range of +10/-20. You will probably find -9 as Weogo stated the setting you will need from Pro Tools. This is also assuming that your playback settings (iPad fader setting) are set correctly which certainly allows for volume adjustment of background sound. You can find a more technical explanation here  http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm
I would also make your final files 44.1k @ 16bits not 24.
Cheers
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 07:57:10 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS