Author Topic: DL16S external router  (Read 4200 times)

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
DL16S external router
« on: January 07, 2021, 04:33:34 AM »
Just snagged a used 16S and the internal router is terrible. I have an Airport Express but not sure how to override the internal router and configure the external one. I tried under current device
“change network settings” -“external router” and entered my router info to no avail, am I doing it wrong?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 04:36:35 AM by Trshot »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: DL16S external router
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 06:18:41 AM »
Chapter 2 of the reference manual pretty well explains the procedure even using your Airport Express. If it doesn't work try reloading the firmware otherwise I'd say you got snagged.
Cheers
When in doubt KISS

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 01:30:03 PM »
That’s just what I did last night, hard reset, reload firmware and I now have a working external router, thanks for your help!

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 01:10:05 AM »
OK, I guess I was wrong! I thought I was connected to my external router but turns out I wasn’t paying attention and it was the internal connection I was connected to. I’ve since really messed things up. Forget about the external router for now. I have somehow wiped out any sign of the internal router!!!
I have tried resetting the DL (Holding reset for 5 secs, 30secs and hard reboot too) the three methods mentioned in the manual to no avail. When I power up the DL I can’t see the internal router in my WiFi settings anymore, the power led is solid and the WiFi is slow flashing indicating mixer is ready and waiting for connection, very frustrated now.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 01:29:47 AM by Trshot »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 09:16:21 AM »
Sounds like it's looking for the external router and does the external router have DHCP server enabled? Power router on first then DL16S.
When in doubt KISS

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 01:25:17 PM »
It’s possible but why can’t I get the unit to factory reset? I was using it with the internal router but it would drop out like most People have complained about. I’m trying to start from the beginning again with a reset and having no luck. I no longer see the Mackie internal router.  As for the external router I did have DHCP enabled. My iPad sees and connects to it but I couldn’t get the mixer to connect (my original post) so I tried reverting back to factory settings and everything went wrong from there. I’m thinking something in the firmware corrupted somehow.   
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 02:27:39 PM by Trshot »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 04:54:08 PM »
Is the external router still connected to the DL or even just the cable? If so disconnect it and start the process again. AFAIK the firmware load still requires a functional connection with the iPad if that's not there then it's time to try Mackie support. I don't have a DL16S so my experience with it remains with the manual. Not having a physical switch on the WiFi source like the XR18 is a clear problem when software goes south especially when factory reset doesn't work.
When in doubt KISS

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 05:09:22 PM »
I’ve tried it every which way I could possibly think. I tried the factory resets without the external router connected or even powered up. The internal “Mackie” router is not seen in my available wifi selections. I’ll be calling Mackie Monday and hopefully they can figure out what happened.  That’s why I feel it’s a firmware issue but since I can’t connect I can’t reset that. I figured the reset button would go back to the internal router and allow the connection.thanks for your time, I appreciate it. 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 06:39:30 AM »
I know of one method to reset the board and that would be to remove the battery on the main board for a minute and then reinsert it. I would also check it in case it's low. It most likely is the same battery as in the DL1608. Of course you need to feel comfortable with dealing with hardware.
Cheers

If you do take it apart please take pics of the insides and post them.
When in doubt KISS

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 01:02:09 PM »
Hmm, interesting. I repair cars for a living so I have no issue peeking inside. I’ll call Mackie today and if unsuccessful and the want me to send it to them I first try what you said and I’ll take pictures too!

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 01:17:27 AM »
Hi Trshot,

Any resolution with this issue?
My DL16S continues to connect and just work.
    I use the internal router to dump shows I've written to the DL16s,
and think of it as a spare if my external router dies.
I also carry a Rebotnix RB-Connect Ipad ethernet adapter, the one with the power option.
 https://rebotnix.com/rb-connect/    And a spare ethernet cable!

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 05:21:25 PM »
No resolution as of yet. Mackie support was useless! I told them I have no wifi and was sent a video on resetting it. The first thing it said was to establish a wifi connection.  ::) ::)
I have to send it in for repair. Meanwhile here’s a peek inside.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 07:35:28 PM »
Great first look at the insides. Did you find the battery? It should be on the main board (bottom board on the second pic). Did it solve your problem? The antenna connections are usually a problem with those horrible micro coax connectors. It looks like there are two input boards and one output board as well. One 12V power supply so most of the DL1608 is still there just the board layouts are different to meet the new form factor and add the digital preamps. There is also a small paddle board that may be the WiFi circuits. I'm betting that the DL32S is a relayed out DL32R with some of the features missing (Dante & Recording hard drive).
When in doubt KISS

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 07:59:08 PM »
I did not see a battery but will take a second look as it’s still opened up. I’ll try to get some more picture angles for you as well.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 08:37:07 PM »
It should be a 3/4" silver disk in a holder.
When in doubt KISS