Author Topic: DL1608 can not see the connected router  (Read 1372 times)

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
DL1608 can not see the connected router
« on: March 05, 2021, 01:05:08 AM »
WK, I hope you are doing good!
I need your help... a local guy in my home town called me to see if I could help him get his DL1608 connected to his router which is a Linksys R74.

I had him verify that the iPad is indeed connected to this router in the iPad's settings. It is not connected to his home Wi-Fi.
I had him delete Master Fader 5 and reinstall it with his home's Wi-Fi connection. I then instructed hime to switch back to the Linksys R74 and the iPad had no problem connecting to it.
He opens Master Fader 5 and there is no "Wireless" connection available.

He had to cut the phone call short so I told him to use the reset button on the back then he is going to call me back tomorrow.

What in the world would cause MF to not see a possible wireless connection to the Linksys R74?
Any ideas? 

Thanks in advance!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: DL1608 can not see the connected router
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 09:14:20 AM »
Thanks Dan doing fine here with my 1st Covid shot. Hope your doing fine as well.
From what you described it sound like the age-old power sequence or bad network cable problem. The router must be powered on first and then the DL1608. Leave sufficient time for the router to be functional before turning on the DL1608. If that doesn't cure it the Network cable from the router to the DL1608 may be the culprit. The router must also have DHCP enabled. First I'd ask if the DL ever functioned before and with what router. History always helps.
Stay safe
Cheers
When in doubt KISS

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 12:20:03 AM »
Hi WK,

thank you for your help and advise, I forgot that the order in which the router and the mixer are turned on was sometimes the cause for trouble connecting.
He was here and by elimination, we decided that his DL1608 mixer is refusing to communicate wirelessly.
He bought it used around Christmas but has never used it wirelessly. It works perfect when his iPad is "docked" (wired)

WE WE WE WE
We also tried one of my iPads wirelessly to no avail.
We used his new Linksys R74 router on my Yamaha TF mixer and had no problems connecting.
We then tried two different Airport Express routers which work perfectly with my Yamaha TF mixer without problems, but none of the Wi-Fi routers worked with his DL1608.
We reset the DL1608, deleted Master Fader 4 and 5 from his iPad and reinstalled Master Fader 4, naturally, when we opened MF4, the device needed to do a firmware update, and we said YES UPDATE and waited for it to finish when we attempted to use Master Fader 4 not 5. 
His iPad is one version behind the current iOS 14.4
No go,
I wish he could buy a Ethernet port card for it,..... do you know if the Ethernet port is on a separate card inside the DL1608?

Oh well,
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 03:07:37 AM by dpdan »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 07:46:19 PM »
That was quite a bit of work Dan. The unfortunate answer is that the Ethernet connection is one chip (LAN8712A) soldered on the main board. Unless he can find someone to repair it and replace the ~$1.31 (Mouser) chip it isn't worth sending it to Mackie. There is also a Ethernet transformer chip but they rarely go and there are no cables involved.  Remember schematics are available here. History of course helped here.
Good Luck and let me know how it turned out.
Cheers
When in doubt KISS

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 01:14:42 AM »
thanks for your help, I told this guy Jim, that our local repair shop will not take it, and neither would Mackie.
He did not know anything about it when he went to buy it from the seller, but did contact the previous owner and they claimed that they never used it with Wi-Fi.....  RRRRrright  ::)

boat anchor, and not a very good one at that