Author Topic: Looks like HC screwed the pooch again LOL  (Read 42694 times)

Bobby1Note

• Charter Member
  • Initiate
Re: Looks like HC screwed the pooch again LOL
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 04:41:32 AM »
LMAO Stu,

I think it's time we send RR a few bucks, and maybe he can run out and get a few cases of beer, and a few of us ole farts can hang here for a bit. Let's bring some mics so we can have a shoot-out. I'll bring my guitar.  8)

axisplayer

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 01:09:10 PM »
That sounds like a good time...out of leave this year, but after January 1, I could handle that!  Got relatives from Niagara Falls, Cananda to Weston, CT so the wife can stay busy while I have fun!!!!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2012, 01:12:28 PM »
It has been pointed out to me that pointing out that it sucks over there isn't appreciated. Oh well, sucks to be them LOL :D.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2012, 01:16:23 PM »
I think it's time we send RR a few bucks, and maybe he can run out and get a few cases of beer, and a few of us ole farts can hang here for a bit. Let's bring some mics so we can have a shoot-out. I'll bring my guitar.  8)
Thanks for the thought but this costs me nothing and only took 30 minutes to set up the first time back in 2009 during the HC 2.0 debacle. This is on a shared server so obviously can't withstand the volume of traffic that HC gets but is probably good for 500 folks - same as my PA LOL.

audiopile

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2012, 05:28:03 PM »
How many strings on a 5 string bass?
The "One True Instrument (tm)" has exactly 4 - never more and never less :D.
IMO, you're correct... in the way that a 5 gallon bucket is a "5 gallon bucket", not a "bucket"... because a "bucket" is a liquid measurment of 4 gallons... therefore, a "5 string bass" has 5 strings, and a "bass" has 4 strings.  I guess all that might change if 5 string basses become commonly referred to as "basses", and 4 string basses become commonly referred to as "4 string basses" or "vintage style basses"  ;)  .
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:40:44 PM by audiopile »

axisplayer

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2012, 02:28:43 PM »
My patience with HC is about gone. Problems are worse this morning than they have been. I can't stand it anymore. I may just stop going there since it irritates me to no end.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »
Damn shame, ain't it? :(

axisplayer

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2012, 03:34:14 PM »
You know, it is just a issue of available time. I don't want to spend all my time hitting reload and waiting for it to finally appear. I have so many irons in the fire right now I just can't justify it. Currently:

• I just bought 3 more Audiorail systems (5 total now) to complete my system. I need to rack my second 01v96 so I can have one Audiorail always hooked up to it. It will be a backup board/monitor board that can be added by just plugging in one cat5 cable.

• I have 6 new Earthworks mics I can't decide how to transport since normal mic cases aren't really designed for them and the wooden boxes they come in aren't the practical solution.

• I finally started using my Show Designer 1 lighting console and have absolutely NO scenes or presets ready at this point. I have only been able to busk with it.

• My Radiance Hazer needs to be cleaned after Halloween usage (heavy use all night.)

• I bought another Mac (this time a Mini) and an Airport router, as well as the rack mounting hardware for them. I need to reconfigure my entire FOH rack. The folding AV computer shelf needs to go to the monitor console rack (see first bullet) and this new stuff all needs to go into the FOH rack which includes fabricating a mechanism to hold the separate monitor and have it lift up over the console when in use, as well as new rack selves for the wireless keyboard and mouse I use with it.

• All the FOH wiring will cause me to need to change my interface for Spectrafoo and I will have to recalibrate everything after I change the design of the system.

• I bought replacement K&M booms for my old stands which are beginning to wear out. I have been cannabalizing parts from them as they fail to keep my Frankenbooms going. I finally just got new ones and need to dig all the stands out of the trailer and switch everything out.

• The addition of all the Audiorail units means that I need a LOT of new IO panels with WC BNC connectors, Firewire, USB, Ethercons, etc made for the various racks so I can hook it all up.

• My trusty EWI 32/150 reel snake needs some TLC for the fan that is suffering. I have more than 10 of the 120 pin EDACs, the crimpers and inverters/extractors, a new heat gun, a ton of new heat shrink, and a snake repair kit from Mark. I need the time to cut off the fan and put an EDAC on the main trunk. Then I need to make a new fanout with all the heat shrink and repair kit, and add an EDAC to that.

Without thinking hard, that is a little of the current system work. I figure if I stop working my day job now, I could have it all done by sometime next year. That means that wasting time on HC loading a few pages on screen is not high on my priority list.

I could just scream....  ;-(

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2012, 04:03:25 PM »
Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy :) . Not the best week for me :( . My newly built custom bass was shipped to me last Wednesday via Priority Mail due last Friday - tracking has it leaving the originating post office and not seen since :( . Lots of damaged venues here from Sandy :( . Lost out on a potentially lucrative contract yesterday (process control system). Waiting for the Nor'easter to hit tonight :( . I stopped soliciting sound gigs waiting for my Dl1608 to arrive and it'll take some time to get bookings again. The main band I was working for went on hiatus last May. Don't much care for winters :(

<Grumble, Grumble> LOL :D

axisplayer

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2012, 04:30:21 PM »
Sorry to hear all that. The bass might show up sometime. Was it insured? (Hope so.)  Will the venues rebuild or was it a great chance to cash out on insurance and be done? The Nor'easter probably won't be much when it gets to you. I understand the hiatus thing. I stopped all gigs this summer (almost totally) since April 1 and am just starting to go out again. I decided to scale back (I am getting old now....) and am not concerned about the low numbers but do understand that getting back in the game takes time.

audiopile

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2012, 05:13:49 PM »
Let me jump on the dog pile:

A notification was recently posted at our local post office, notifying us (local postal customers), that the hours of operation will be reduced to 4 hours per day (8:00am - noon).  Unfortunately for myself (being the highest volume shipper at our local post office), I typically mail packages in the afternoon.  Wording in the notification explained that this reduction in service is a move to respond to the declining volume of mail handled by our local post office.  Humm... somehow reducing services doesn't seem to me like the way to address declining business.  The good news is that the notification also stated that Saturday service will not be reduced... from it's current zero hours  :facepalm:

I'm sitting here this morning attempting to learn how to draft a petition… because:  A notification was recently posted by our county govt. at both ends of a local county road… that many of us locals use a lot.  The public notice is an announcement that our county commissioners consider said county road as “useless for the public”, and therefore said road will be vacated and abandoned (made impassible).  Admittedly there is an alternative route that could be used, but the alternative route is somewhere around 10X as long as the road to be removed from service.  So… I called the county court house to see what’s up with that?  According to person I talked with at the court house (or possibly county engineering dept), the notification that was posted wasn't supposed to be posted (yet).  As I understand it, what was suppose to be posted was/is a notification of a public hearing 12 days from now for public input on the consideration of vacating said public road.  Apparently the county screwed up and… ahem… seemingly posted the commissioner’s decision before posting the notification for public opinion. :facepalm: 

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2012, 05:16:57 PM »
Insurance claim can't be made until 21 days after it was shipped and take 30-60 days to pay out :( . Not really worried about the Nor'easter - just one more thing to have to wait through.

Ah well, supposed to warm up this weekend and I need to repackage my indoor rig to be ready for action :) . It all fits in my hatchback and I just picked up some more small duffels to better organize cables and such. Hard cases take way too much room. I mostly need to sort out the stuff (extra cables, mics, stands, etc) I don't need to be taking.

OTOH I see guys that have been on the cover of Guitar Player, session players and guys that have toured extensively with "A" acts playing $50 a man gigs around here :( . Pretty sad music scene.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2012, 05:36:27 PM »
Ouch, sorry about your troubles with the post office and local moron brigade - oops I meant government :facepalm:. None of them folks are gonna be happy until you're pulled down to their level :( .

audiopile

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2012, 01:49:10 AM »
Ouch, sorry about your troubles with the post office and local moron brigade - oops I meant government :facepalm:. None of them folks are gonna be happy until you're pulled down to their level :( .
Well... my personal problems with the powers that be seemed appropriate to post on a cacophony forum.

uh... US Postal Service:  (To my impression) Addressing sagging business by cutting the highest demand and most lucritive services.

Local County Commissioners:  (To my impression) Recently threw piles of public money at boosting county inferstructure via a scandelous and completely flopped county funded business park... and are now looking at ways to reduce expenses (4 years into an economic slup)... (after seemingly "new pick-up trucks all around" and seemingly all other imaginable improvements for the "working" environments hit a point of diminished returns of disposing of cash) by ripping out a well traveled public road that the county has spent zero (by outward observations) to "maintain" for decades... and screwing up by publically posting their decision to do so a couple of weeks before the legally mandated public hearing to garner public opinion before making their decision.

I remember years ago... I woke up out of a dead sleep (slumped on the steering wheel of my truck) after doing stage production for the wrap-up party for the election following media corp on the eve of the 2000 general election.  I was dreaming a very realistic seeming event of a group of folks feverously jamming cash through a shredder in-order to stuff the shredded cash into my confetti cannon... so I could push the button and have the confetti cannon blast millions at a time in shredded cash out to shower the crowd... and the nightmare portion of the dream was that the promoters were frustrated with my confetti cannon because the cannon's capacity to blast all the excess cash to oblivion was not meeting their expectations.

Somehow... that dream keeps coming to the forefront every so-often.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 02:06:46 AM by audiopile »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2012, 02:37:46 AM »
I'm always reminded of the ex-Soviet Bloc country that sent all their printed currency in to be converted to toilet paper as it was worth more as that than currency. Unfortunately I suspect I'll live to see that here and even more unfortunately my three kids will for sure.

Hereabouts I've been unable to discover any small business it makes sense to get into - the government overhead ends up making your net per hour about what you can make at McDonald's at best (with a lot less hassles). I'd love to buy or open up a decent music venue but the numbers don't make sense even before you factor in the risk. Thus proving the popular notion that all small venue owners are nuts :( .