Author Topic: Looks like HC screwed the pooch again LOL  (Read 43735 times)

audiopile

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
Re: Looks like HC screwed the pooch again LOL
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2012, 04:27:55 PM »
Hereabouts I've been unable to discover any small business it makes sense to get into -

It seems like liquor stores (locally anyway) are doing a brisk business.

I suspect providing care for the needy and retired will see growth in the future.

I know a few folks who deal with health care paperwork stuff… there seems to be plenty of job security in that line of work.

Something that I’m called on to do routinely and I stay busier doing than I maybe care to is making gadgets function for technology challenged folks… like “make the teevee function again”… where they (or a house guest) inadvertently pushed the wrong button on a remote control and then compounded the problem by wildly pushing other buttons in a hopelessly failed attempt to get lucky.

axisplayer

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2012, 04:52:53 PM »
Mark, those people are called TECHNODOLTS. I have quite of a few of them in my extended family. The work does not seem to pay well though. They expect me to help them for free.... ;-)

My 9 year old son knows more about computers, VCRs, and any other electronics with a user interface then they do. Hmmmmm...maybe I can start sending him out to do the repairs!!!!!!

audiopile

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2012, 07:01:42 PM »
The work does not seem to pay well though. They expect me to help them for free.... ;-)
Like me, I suspect you're not charging up-front, but rather, you get to that after services have been rendered.  After they’ve seen you press a few buttons and voila… everything’s fine again… that’s not the time to negotiate a fee for services rendered.

I'll suggest next time, when you first arrive for the service call: size up the panic, desperation, and hysteria in their eyes... notice the trembling of their fingers while they're wildly fumbling through the operator's manual (which may or may not be the appropriate manual, or group of manuals)... notice the pile of changed out batteries and apple box of rummaged through patch cables... notice the family pet cowering in a corner or hiding out outside (with a facial expression of: "I don't know what's going on in there, but in-there is a bad place to be right now.")  Notice what meal was left abandoned on the kitchen table... if it's 4:00pm when you arrive for the service call, and 1/2 eaten breakfast or last night's dinner is still on the table, you can do the math to determine the magnitude of the crisis at that point.  Take special note if there's a significant other locked in the bathroom and muffled sounds of sobbing are audible through the bathroom door.  If conditions seem promising, start in on a monolog of how things are tough all over (baby needs new shoes) and “taking time off work… might look bad to the boss and you'll have to make good with the boss some-way or another”… sick relative… blah, blah, blah.  Initially their eyes will start to glaze over, but after a few tens of seconds, they’ll glance over at the teevee to confirm that the screen is still otherwise blank except for the flashing red “input” lettering in the lower left hand corner of the screen.  When they make that glace, seize on the opportunity to ratchet it up a notch and really lay your sob story on hot and heavy… Christmas coming up, higher than usual heating bills… likely gonna be a really skinny Santa at your house this year… “don’t know how to break it to the kids”… maybe pull out your billfold and let the moth in the empty cash compartment fly free… maybe mention that in your opinion, things were better when our country operated more-so on a cash basis.  Sometime during all of this they’ll likely suggest that they want to make this right by you… bingo… you’ve struck oil and can quit drilling… except to press that service calls are seemingly becoming a thing of the past… most folks just “buy new” when there’s a problem like this… and you don’t know for sure, but you suspect that replacing all that stuff would be BIG BUCKS… “But whatever you think is reasonable will be fine with me… and I‘ll get right on it.”
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:24:30 PM by audiopile »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2012, 07:25:21 PM »
^ the #1 problem with fixing technodolt's problems (whether for money or free) is that forever forward if anything goes wrong it's your fault.

axisplayer

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2012, 07:31:05 PM »
I am married, so everything is always my fault anyway. ;-)

audiopile

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2012, 07:37:21 PM »
^ the #1 problem with fixing technodolt's problems (whether for money or free) is that forever forward if anything goes wrong it's your fault.
True that, but I've been taking ques from some mega-pros (who have seemingly devised an infallible contingency plan for just this sort of thing):  I've been rehearsing this line in-front of a mirror... trying somehow to get through it while keeping a straight face (it’s tough to do):  The line:  "I do apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you."  And then the difficult part:  How to satin-smoothly segue from the substantively meaningless apology to: “breaking it to them what the cost will be to fix things up again.”

audiopile

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2012, 01:31:34 AM »
I am married, so everything is always my fault anyway. ;-)
Stuart:  I believe there is a cyber-space based idea for this.  My employee Cliff devised the idea (while he was going through his most recent divorce).  His idea at the time was: 

www.ItsallCliffsfault.com 

Since then, he's got a brand-new girlfriend, so I haven't heard anything about that good idea for awhile... but back when that was a hot topic for him, I thought he was on to something.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2012, 02:14:34 AM »
Hey, any of yous guys know if there is a way to get the USPS to look around for a missing Priority Mail shipment? I had a custom bass made for me and shipped a week ago yesterday - it was supposed to be here last Friday but the tracking info shows it left the post office it was mailed at and that's it :( :
https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=9406209699938240841894
Needless to say I'm pretty bummed about that :( . Maybe seein's how it was shipped on Halloween it got diverted to Hell or somethin' :facepalm: .
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 02:16:46 AM by RoadRanger »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2012, 02:19:49 AM »

audiopile

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2012, 02:47:20 AM »
Hey, any of yous guys know if there is a way to get the USPS to look around for a missing Priority Mail shipment? I had a custom bass made for me and shipped a week ago yesterday - it was supposed to be here last Friday but the tracking info shows it left the post office it was mailed at and that's it :( :
https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=9406209699938240841894
Needless to say I'm pretty bummed about that :( . Maybe seein's how it was shipped on Halloween it got diverted to Hell or somethin' :facepalm: .
Yes... I know something about this.  As I understand it, you can submit some sort of ambiguous action ticket in some sort of ambiguous way... and somewhere around 90 days from now (if you do absolutely everything correctly on your part with no help from the USPS) the USPS may technically respond or not one way or another with some sort of disclaimer... or some other sort of extremely well worded first cabin legalese statement dispensing of any responsibility on their part.

That's my perception based on experience.

I suggest to keep an eye on the world wide GSA auction listings over the next few decades for your guitar to surface and maybe you'll be offered an opportunity to bid on your guitar (assuming you have a snowball's chance in hell of qualifying to bid on the auction).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:04:07 AM by audiopile »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
Strangely enough it showed up in tracking this morning as being at my local post office :D .

audiopile

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2012, 03:24:47 PM »
Strangely enough it showed up in tracking this morning as being at my local post office :D .
Wow... well that is suprising good news.

In my experience with the USPS, if it gets lost in their system, there's a good chance that it's lost.  The specific details are becoming a bit sketchy in my memory, but the last time I had a lost USPS shipped item... what I recall is that I instituted a "trace".  90 days later they responded that the "trace" came up empty.  I inquired about the "tracking number" I had... they explained that it's not actually tracked through the system... that tracking number only can be traced to the PO where I had shipped it... being that I had proof via the "tracking number" that I had mailed it at that post office (now there's some useful information to me).  And that was that for that.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2012, 03:44:38 PM »
I did have insurance but that would have been as much as 90 days after it was shipped plus another 3 months to build another - but it never would be the same :(.

I've actually never had the USPS lose a package on me  - one package took two years to get to me though :eek: and another envelope came through torn up in one of the USPS "sorry about that" envelopes sans the memory chips it was supposed to have :facepalm:.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:46:42 PM by RoadRanger »

audiopile

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2012, 06:02:42 PM »
I've actually never had the USPS lose a package on me  -
Something I didn't say before but will is:  My experience with the USPS has over-all been very good... no over-all regrets in the grand scheme of things.  Heck, Liz and I even moved most all of our earthly belongings a few times through the USPS.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2013, 02:35:36 PM »
Gone again :( .