Author Topic: The Mystery of the ProDX series  (Read 1830 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
The Mystery of the ProDX series
« on: June 18, 2021, 06:38:34 PM »
Introduced in 2016 the ProDX4/8 input Phone/tablet iPad,Android controlled ProDX series mixer seems to have vanished after less than a year on the market. Mackie it seems abandoned the product and it is not even in their list of discontinued products. It can still be found but not from their main Web pages, strange. Here's the link https://mackie.com/products/prodx-series   . About six months ago Behringer introduced Flow 8 a similar product with some of the complaints of the ProDX addressed and one major change in providing physical faders. Timing of course is not ideal for any music product then. So will Flow 8 make it where ProDX8 failed? Does anyone here even own one of them?
Cheers
When in doubt KISS

Weogo

• Knight
Re: The Mystery of the ProDX series
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 11:37:25 PM »
Hi WK,

The Pro8DX looked interesting, but without phantom it was struck from my list.

The Flow8 looks possibly more useful and has phantom on two channels. 
The USB power connector is rated at 10 watts, so that  could be why only
two channels can have phantom.
    Originally it had only 4-band graphic EQ on channels and 9-band on outputs;
it now has parametrics everywhere.
    The non-motorized faders have what looks like a useful function for
re-setting them for house, aux or FX as layers are changed.  This looks like a
good work-around for non-motorized faders. 
Motorized faders can get ugly when they go bad.

I would be happy to see somebody put one through its paces and see how it holds up.
At 3.1#, if it sounds good, it could be useful as a backup mixer on tiny gigs.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

nedorama

• Padawan
    • The Toys Band Instagram page
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 11:19:06 PM »
This is what happens when you either don't listen to consumer feedback about what products they want, or you listen to a stupidly small vocal group who are shouting how they need this series in addition to the DL series... part of marketing and product development is learning to say no to bad ideas. This series was the solution to no one's problems.

Behringer has figured out to make what people want, and in the Flow8, it's not iterative of anyone else's mixer, but has lots of great beginner features like the auto gain set. For $229, not bad. If my Mackie 402VLZ mixer ever goes south, this could be a good replacement as the backup to my DL1608.
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

pmontym

• Initiate
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 04:48:53 PM »
I have both the Prodx4 and the Prodx8 (got the 8 afterwards, when I needed additional inputs). I've gigged with both, and had no issues, except for slight clipping on occasion (with the 4, only...). I find the Prodx to suit solo/duo needs, quite efficiently, since you control it right from the mic stand with your phone. The fx are sufficient, and the overall interface is user friendly.

I'm curious what the issues are with this line? Why are they so maligned?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 04:10:56 AM »
I don't think its a matter of being maligned as much as why Mackie abandoned the product. Similar features are build into their Freeplay personal and the Thump BT line. Did they loose the person that wrote the software again? It will no doubt remain a mystery.
Cheers
When in doubt KISS