Author Topic: I guess we’re done  (Read 2338 times)

Yorgaki1

• Padawan

James91104

• Knight
Re: I guess we’re done
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 08:05:46 AM »
Curious how just tonight I was sharing my experience and fondness for the unit and MasterFader in particular to an audio tech inexperienced with the combo.
And it was just a bit over ten years ago,of the DL1608 product announcement.

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 07:13:51 PM »
Are there any other digital systems out there that allow adjustments to the main mix from an iPhone versus an iPad? That was one of the most important features to me.

JpBez

• Youngling
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 06:21:08 AM »
The Soundcraft UI series (12, 16 and 24) are all controllable via iPad or iPhone or even Android device. In fact, any device that will run a html webpage will be able to control the Ui's

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 04:54:05 PM »
No surprises here. I expect the DL16S and DL32S to soon be on that list thus marking the exit from the digital mixer market. From the leader to nothing in ten years, what a feat!
For history here is the list today before it's gone.

"Product Discontinuations

Effective May 1st 2022, the following products are now discontinued. New and existing purchases under warranty will continue to be supported.

DL1608
    DL32R
    DL32R Dante Card
    DC16 / AXIS System
    SRM Professional Series
        SRM550
        SRM650
        SRM1850
    PPM608
    PPM1012
    SP260 "

Cheers

When in doubt KISS

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 09:33:33 PM »
Gaaah - not a good perspective! Definitely time to move on - the Soundcraft option looks promising...

nedorama

• Padawan
    • The Toys Band Instagram page
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 07:55:01 PM »
To be clear, your mixer won't stop working, but parts, etc. won't be available. This is standard for just about every electronics company - Avid often publishes their end of life products, and 10 years in music tech is a long time.  No plans to replace my DL1608; if it dies, then I'll think about it, but it's working fine on MF 5.0
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 09:40:50 PM »
I'm less worried about the physical mixer not working anymore - although non-availability of parts is definitively a worry for a product that has been known to develop connection issues.

My worry lies more on the firmware and software side of things - will future versions of Master Fader support the discontinued products? Will there ever be new versions of Master Fader at all? With OS updates regularly messing up older software, I'm not very confident that we will have well-functioning versions of Master Fader for the now-legacy devices going forward.

The statement "new and existing purchases _under warranty_ will be supported" could be an indicator - as soon as warranty is over for the remaining stock, we can't really expect Master Fader support for these devices...

But sure, as long as Master Fader is running on a current device, these mixers remain usable. I'll probably keep my DL32S around for live, but move my studio / rehearsal space mixer from the DL32R to a different platform to get familiar with it. Then I can pull the trigger for a new live mixer whenever I feel the time is right...

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 03:59:57 AM »
Why not future-proof yourself and go with Dave Schumanns Mixing Station. It works for the DL32S. If you then change equipment you may not have to learn a new software package. As to a new version of MF good luck it hit the magic V5 in Mackie's world its the end of life. For more info see:
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=1648.msg18878#msg18878
Cheers
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 04:16:42 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

nedorama

• Padawan
    • The Toys Band Instagram page
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 02:25:06 PM »
I downloaded mixing station last night on my iPad, and even in demo mode looks interesting.

On the sound craft, I know several years ago they were having numerous issues; not sure if they were ever addressed but seems to be a concern.

A good used MR18 or XR18 might be a good bet, and Mixing Station works on it as well. And no line lump...
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2022, 04:01:49 PM »
https://mailchi.mp/mackie/news-from-mackie-7391?e=4af68754b6

You have no idea how sad this makes me.....   It's going to be impossible for me to find another mixer that meets my needs.

3 Rack spaces with all 32 inputs on the front and all those glorious outputs (also on the front) for my IEMs...
Not to mention the matrix being so easy to reroute anything I want.

And finally - direct-to-disk recording multitrack that has worked so well for hundreds of shows for me....

What the heck else can a guy do to get all that? 

It's been a fun ride.... And I believe Mackie has made a huge mistake.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2022, 05:59:02 PM »
What Mackie make a mistake!....It's in their DNA. Let me give some examples starting with yours:
DL32R -------> DL32S
DL1608 -------> DL16S
FreePlay Personal ------> Freeplay Live, Thunp GO 8, Thump12BST.
If I checked further there would be more.
Introduce a winner and follow through with loser's is Mackie's way.
Time to stock up on spare DL32R's or find a replacement John.
Cheers

When in doubt KISS