Author Topic: Master Fader 5 Vs 4  (Read 3294 times)

Jkowtko

• Padawan
Re: Master Fader 5 Vs 4
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2022, 03:26:14 PM »
My thought here is that Mackie will end-of-life v4 at some point, if v5 has a superset of functionality then continuing to maintain v4 is just extra overhead.  The lightning connector conversion kit is out there, as are the newer trays, so maybe it's just a matter of time ....

I have one of the original DL1608's with iPad 2 and old style connector, have been using it for ~10 years ... was thinking it would be nice to move to DL16S or 32S to fit the unit in a rack and lose the docked iPad requirement for digital recording ... but quickly found out that the S's don't support 2-track record/playback to a simple USB stick ... bummer ... I don't need to add a computer to my rig, I'm trying to reduce equipment and tabletop footprint here, not expand it.

I don't use reverb for my semi-annual gig (middle school instrumental music concert) so for me the difference between v4 and v5 only seems to be the older iPad and connector compatibility.

-- John

ChiroVette

• Padawan
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2022, 07:08:59 PM »
Well, honestly, it makes my life a lot easier to have my old iPad docked on the 1608 and my new iPad running off WiFi. If Mackie decides to discontinue support for MF4.xx, then so be it. I will either buy a new mixer at that point or hope that Mackie will allow docking with some kind of an upgraded hardware addition to the DL1608. I am not sure how much longer my old iPad 3 will even last or when it will die, but I can see myself upgrading to a newer iPad again in a couple of years. But without the ability to dock the DL1608 does lose some of its attractiveness to me.

Then again, the mixer has served me well for over 8 years, so if I have to buy another mixer if support for MF4 is discontinued and I still want to use both iPads, then it is what it is. I do like the Presonus StudioLive mixers, and though I am not a fan of Behringer, their X32 has gotten rave reviews from a lot of my sound man friends. I suppose the Mackie DL32s and DL32r are also worth a look if that happens.

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2022, 02:31:57 PM »
Fyi after some checking yesterday I found out that the iPad Air tray fits iPad 2017/2018 models as well ... so a $40 tray plus $50 lightning connector upgrade will allow my DL1608 to dock considerably newer iPads ... and enough to run MF5.

-- John
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 03:11:11 PM by Jkowtko »

ChiroVette

• Padawan
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2022, 03:40:13 PM »
Fyi after some checking yesterday I found out that the iPad Air tray fits iPad 2017/2018 models as well ... so a $40 tray plus $50 lightning connector upgrade will allow my DL1608 to dock considerably newer iPads ... and enough to run MF5.

-- John

So the new iPad (regular model, which is the one I have) fits in the iPad Air tray? That's definitely a good bargain if it works; however, I suspect it isn't that simple. I spoke to Makie Tech support about this, a conversation I literally just remembered while writing this post that I had back when I purchased this new iPad back in August of this year. I remember him saying something I personally thought was a little absurd. He said that he believed the lightning cable adapter won't work for the newer iPads, because the models that came after the 2018 iPads aren't supported for docking connectivity with the lightning cable adapter.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 03:51:39 PM by ChiroVette »

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2022, 12:09:26 AM »
So the new iPad (regular model, which is the one I have) fits in the iPad Air tray? That's definitely a good bargain if it works; however, I suspect it isn't that simple. I spoke to Makie Tech support about this, a conversation I literally just remembered while writing this post that I had back when I purchased this new iPad back in August of this year. I remember him saying something I personally thought was a little absurd. He said that he believed the lightning cable adapter won't work for the newer iPads, because the models that came after the 2018 iPads aren't supported for docking connectivity with the lightning cable adapter.

No I think it will only fit the 9.7" models, the newer ones are larger in size ... per https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250001726 that ends with the 2017 and 2018 models (of which I happen to own one of each) ... so I'm going to buy the tray and a lightning dock kit and try it out ... will let you know what happens ...

Thanks.  John

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2022, 04:26:16 AM »
Fyi I just pulled the plug and ordered the "Lightning tray kit" directly from Mackie ... it includes both the connector and the tray ... not sure if it also includes the frame that those two fit in ... I guess I'll see when they show up.

Refurb iPad 2018's are under $200 in "excellent" condition, so I will pick up another one of those to replace the iPad 2 ... fingers crossed I will be good to go with MF5.

-- John