Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Hidden SSID for 2.4 GHZ - Good or Bad?

(1/2) > >>

WK154:
RR,
Great idea, more freedom regarding other equipment.
Here is the answer to Hidden SSID, I think you'll enjoy the analogy with Steak and Beer.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2008/02/08/non-broadcast-wireless-ssids-why-hidden-wireless-networks-are-a-bad-idea.aspx
We may never see MF 1.5.

RoadRanger:
^ Yes, as I said before hidden SSID is not for security in our case but to prevent "normal" smartphones from trying to connect to us. A hundred smartphones looking for WiFi sending connection requests to our router because they can "see" it could cause problems with our link :( .

WK154:
RR,
They don't need to address the hidden SSID they just need to tie up the half duplex airwaves and you cannot block the AP's  beacon frame from being send and that's enough to kill the connection when 100 phones send a discover packet which you have no control over. Best to have them shut off their cells. It all eats into air-wave time which is the real killer.

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: WK154 on March 12, 2013, 06:07:53 PM ---Best to have them shut off their cells.
--- End quote ---
That's just not gonna happen in my world.

RoadRanger:
Well, I've now unhidden the SSID on 2.4 GHz - it seems that if an iDevice "sees" an SSID of an encrypted network it won't try to broadcast to it anyways. I do have auto channel select enabled on my router. I would like to run something like inSSIDer on my iPad to look for a clear channel and/or detect if there aren't any but that's not available as an iPad app and in fact Apple has banned similar apps from the app store :( . The is an app available for jailbroken iDevices but that's a PITA and will get Apple all pissed off at you :( .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version