Author Topic: Hidden SSID for 2.4 GHZ - Good or Bad?  (Read 8239 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Hidden SSID for 2.4 GHZ - Good or Bad?
« on: March 12, 2013, 06:22:09 AM »
RR,
Great idea, more freedom regarding other equipment.
Here is the answer to Hidden SSID, I think you'll enjoy the analogy with Steak and Beer.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2008/02/08/non-broadcast-wireless-ssids-why-hidden-wireless-networks-are-a-bad-idea.aspx
We may never see MF 1.5.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Hidden SSID for 2.4 GHZ - Good or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 02:27:10 PM »
^ Yes, as I said before hidden SSID is not for security in our case but to prevent "normal" smartphones from trying to connect to us. A hundred smartphones looking for WiFi sending connection requests to our router because they can "see" it could cause problems with our link :( .

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 06:07:53 PM »
RR,
They don't need to address the hidden SSID they just need to tie up the half duplex airwaves and you cannot block the AP's  beacon frame from being send and that's enough to kill the connection when 100 phones send a discover packet which you have no control over. Best to have them shut off their cells. It all eats into air-wave time which is the real killer.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:17:34 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 06:37:48 PM »
Best to have them shut off their cells.
That's just not gonna happen in my world.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 03:38:58 PM »
Well, I've now unhidden the SSID on 2.4 GHz - it seems that if an iDevice "sees" an SSID of an encrypted network it won't try to broadcast to it anyways. I do have auto channel select enabled on my router. I would like to run something like inSSIDer on my iPad to look for a clear channel and/or detect if there aren't any but that's not available as an iPad app and in fact Apple has banned similar apps from the app store :( . The is an app available for jailbroken iDevices but that's a PITA and will get Apple all pissed off at you :( .

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 08:15:26 PM »
RR,
I still think that RFexplorer or other spectrum analyzer is still your best bet for dealing with hostile 2.4G and soon 5G bands. The 3G would be my choice (unfortunately also the most expensive $270) not so much for the bandwidth but for the max input level. The others are max at 5dBm and some situations you may need to handle more. You can add an attenuator to protect the unit as an alternative. I don't know if your into wireless mics but if you are then a spectrum analyzer would almost be a necessity. They are part of most high end wireless mic systems. Never buy units with built in antennas since they eliminate a set of solutions with antennas.
Conditions change continuously and a separate instrument is certainly better than trying to switch back and forth with iPad apps. Give you an example in the LA area TV transmitters for the most part are on Mt. Wilson. Setting up for a gig at 4PM and starting at 7PM I found Murphy along with Mother Nature at it again. All was well at 4pm come 7pm all hell broke loose. Fortunately I had my Signal Hound to bail me out. The Smog layer and Marine layer gave Angelino's great TV reception and me an addition 30dBm of background noise.  Not good. I know ... N. E. Connecticut doesn't have these problems. BTW our environments are also quite different. Most of my gigs are in Auditoriums and Stages as the AVL engineer (I don't play an Instrument only mixers etc.) and at my age (72) I don't haul copper and everything else is on wheels.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 08:50:40 PM »
I wish there was a wired ethernet adapter available for the iPad - then worst case we could run Cat5 out to FOH. I suppose if one ran the wireless router out at FOH and put the iPad right next to it most sources of interference would be thwarted?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 09:33:49 PM »
RR,
Let's think about this a little. Apple has a USB  A (wrong physical connector 30 pin or N needed) to Ethernet adapter and there are USB hubs. Lots of USB to Ethernet adapters in the 10/100 range. Haven't cobbled one of these together (missing a few parts) but it could be possible. D... Honey-doo lists get in the way. If nothing else we'll find out who's not playing by the rules. It's a toss between Apple and Mackie. Been debating getting a USB software analyzer to look at the DL, just not ready to take money away from the iX16/X32 funds.

Don't ever RETIRE it'll kill you!

Will The REAL Perpetrator please stand up. After a little research the answer is APPLE. They don't want anyone threatening their Empire. Another reason to not buy Apple gear. You go to the bathroom when they allow it, period!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 10:02:49 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 09:38:53 PM »
I Googled around and found out that the iPad will not support a USB to Ethernet adapter. I do have a 30 pin to USB adapter (AKA Camera Connection Kit) that I use for a 61 key MIDI via USB Keyboard to control MIDI apps on the iPad.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 10:23:55 PM »
RR,
I think we've been looking at the wrong solution (Ethernet ) connector. Lets use the docking connector.  The iPad and the Dl1608 are both USB devices and USB extenders are plentifull depending on the distance required. 15' should be due-able with high quality cable unless APPLE or Mackie don't meet USB 2.0 specs. After that 40' seems to be the next length, then 165' and finally 328' with Cat5e or 6 cable. There is no Ethernet knowledge shown to the USB end points. There probably only using the physical media. All wired with correct timing for USB 2.0. My iPad works fine off a powered hub to a PC but shows no charging. With 10hrs. on batteries this should not be a problem.
http://www.angledcables.com/usb-extenders--long-haul-repeaters.html
As an example of devices. Has anyone tried these on other devices or better yet on an iPad? Will try running Dl thru hub when I have a chance.
When in doubt KISS