Author Topic: FAQ: Wireless Connection Optimization  (Read 15520 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
FAQ: Wireless Connection Optimization
« on: March 15, 2013, 01:28:23 AM »
In "Settings", "Wi-Fi" you should have "Ask to Join Networks" set to "OFF". Also disable BlueTooth if you use 2.4 GHz as it interferes with 2.4 GHz wireless.

If you really want to insure that a momentary wireless drop doesn't end up reconnecting on the wrong network you have to insure that your DL1608 network is the only one known to the iPad by:
In "Settings", "General", "Reset" you should "Reset Network Settings". This will reboot your iPad!
You can then connect to your DL1608 network (you will have to re-enter the Password).
Now if you have a momentary drop the iPad will always connect only to your DL1608 network :) .

You should make sure that you set your router to a clear channel if possible. In the States here we only have channels 1, 6, and 11 to use for 2.4 GHz. You'll need a laptop (running inSSIDer) or Android device (running WiFi Scanner) to scan for other routers as the @$$#*!#$ at Apple have banned WiFi scanners from their app store :(.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:21:55 PM by RoadRanger »

WJF

• Padawan
Re: Wireless Connection Optimization
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 02:48:06 PM »
Very helpful ... Thank you!!   :)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: FAQ: Wireless Connection Optimization
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 10:24:51 PM »
Thank you Road Ranger for the wireless optimization tip!!  :thu: I am getting my DL in about 1 day and this will help immensely for remote use at the venues I do  8)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 10:47:09 PM »
I thought we had a lot better info on the wireless hookup on this forum, the QA'a are weak if your recommending 2.4GHz as a useful band. Don't waste your time with it it is too limited with far too many potential interferences, use the 5GHz band. That means a dual band AP( Access Point (wireless) or the more common WiFi router) all of Apples current offerings are. DL also works fine on most other current AP's/WiFi routers. With 5 GHz only you can  use Bluetooth without interference. Don't forget to turn off auto-update unless you want a surprise in the middle of a gig.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:07:07 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 04:57:51 AM »
Just one more note.  It is useful to have both 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands.  My iphone only works on 2.4.  The ipad works on either and the 5 Ghz is preferable, but in my case, the only backup I have now if my ipad fails is my iphone 4S.  The current version of Airport Express uses both bands.  (And at $100 is about as reasonable as most in its performance range.) 

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 06:54:15 PM »
Apple now as a way of scanning for WiFi networks (if a bit hidden and convoluted) :
http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Apple-iOS-8-WiFi-Scanning-Returns/ba-p/203015

I used this last night with an XR12's internal AP and didn't have any issues. Strangely enough all the detected nets were on channel 11 so the XR12's default of channel 1 was clear.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 06:59:13 PM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 09:37:15 PM »
RR " Also disable BlueTooth if you use 2.4 GHz as it interferes with 2.4 GHz wireless." is not necessary since BT V1.2 with AFHSS (Adaptive Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum). This has been improved over the various versions to today's V4.2. Bluetooth has 79 channels available and typically switches frequency (channels)  800  times per second. We in the US have 11 WiFi channels but only 1,6,11 are non-overlapping using DSSS (Direct-Sequence Spread Spectrum a subset of AFHSS).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 09:46:00 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 11:40:15 PM »
Yup, theoretically BT is OK to have on - but why run crap on your iPad that you don't need? Personally I don't feel lucky when it comes to WiFi and the iPad's wonky OS ;) .

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 12:15:40 AM »
When I'm running sound from the stage while playing, I have to use BT for my IK Blueboard while mixing. I two years, I've yet to have a problem with BT and 2.4GHz WiFi interfering.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 12:56:37 AM »
Good to know - I was just repeating something I read on the internet (so it's gotta be true? ;) ).

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 01:03:41 AM »
It's possible that I'm just lucky. I read on this forum about problem after problem with the DL mixers, and yet mine has always been solid as a rock. Based on my experience, a couple of my friends have bought DLs, and we've all be very happy -- the things just seem to work every time we switch them on.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 02:35:13 AM »
The last few gigs, my iPad air has been re-syncing litterally every minute while performing. I keep it mounted to my mic stand right in front of me and it's to the point I'm going to call tech support. I just checked and 'Ask to join networks' was on so I flipped it off. A number of times I needed to make an volume adjustment and I had to access MF on my phone as the ipad would take forever to re-sync. Im up to date software wise using MF4 and my Apple airport express which is a couple of years old. Any one want to chime in with ideas?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 02:43:09 AM »
Is the Airport Express MIMO? I'd not depend on any router that wasn't MIMO.
https://www.timeatlas.com/what-is-mimo/

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 03:00:18 AM »
One thing I'd check if having problems is the transmission speed - I run mine at lower rates as there's no need for higher.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 12:55:08 PM »
One thing I'd check if having problems is the transmission speed - I run mine at lower rates as there's no need for higher.
I doubt Apple will let you control that.
When in doubt KISS