Author Topic: FAQ: "Fix" Your Reverbs !  (Read 18225 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
FAQ: "Fix" Your Reverbs !
« on: March 15, 2013, 06:43:31 PM »
I spent some time today playing with the 'verbs and found out something very interesting and non-obvious. I'm surprised the Mackie guys never told us?

Anyways turns out to select a 'verb you DON'T want to select one on the FX page :eek: ! If you do you are only selecting the kind of 'verb model but not loading proper settings for it so of course it'll sound like poo :facepalm: .

What you have to do is recall one of the "Presets". That sets the kind of 'verb and loads a proper set of settings for it. I like "ShortPlate", "Sml Stage" and "Sml Room". I'll try some of the other models with the settings those use. The "Ambience" and "Small Room" models do sound a bit on the "undetailed" side to my ear but quite acceptable - hopefully some of the other models are more detailed :) .

Update: I was using the "Lrg Room" preset yesterday outdoors and it really sounded great to me :) .
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:21:25 PM by RoadRanger »

Tnelson494

• Padawan
Re: "Fix" Your Reverbs !
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 12:19:04 PM »
I've been using the short plate pretty much all the time started with the preset and tweaked it so that's good to know if I ever get to start messing with more variations  ;D

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 02:05:34 PM »
I've been using the short plate pretty much all the time started with the preset and tweaked it so that's good to know if I ever get to start messing with more variations  ;D
I'm hoping the V1.4 or V1.5 will give us the ability to backup, restore and trade presets with each other :D .

Tnelson494

• Padawan
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 04:04:56 AM »
Well they got rid of the community aspect of the company so I really doubt they will add any way to trade presets ......  >:(

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 10:30:47 PM »
Good stuff RR, just experiment with it and I see what you mean… selecting from the Reverb drop-down doesn't change the darn settings at all (unless switching to/from Gated, where you get Release instead of Rolloff)!

Still not liking the sound of a long decay, it morphs into a Matrix-style effect that's most obvious on the Hall verbs, but now I have many more starting places to work with.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 11:08:55 PM »
Not that I don't ever read manuals, but this helps a lot. I was wondering why my FX kept changing mid set! Thanks again RR.
The older I get, the better I was!

frede

• Youngling
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 11:28:26 AM »
Well they got rid of the community aspect of the company so I really doubt they will add any way to trade presets ......  >:(
I'm surprised there isn't a database of screenshots of customer created presets. After all it's easy to do a screen grab and that would provide all the info you would need. I'd personally love to have a "preset" that emulated the Bose T1's "Preset 58"

Kruemel

• Youngling
Re: FAQ: "Fix" Your Reverbs !
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 11:38:05 AM »
Hi frede,
nice idea!  :thu:
Think this could help understanding the effect section a bit more.

Hope there are some effect freaks who can explain how to deal with.

Thanks
Roland
Sorry....I can't understand....I'm only playing the bass!

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 07:03:11 PM »
I'm hoping the V1.4 or V1.5 will give us the ability to backup, restore and trade presets with each other :D .

RR, Would have never known regarding the presets. Thanks for sharing. I'd like to know if the DL1608 is accessible via FTP, Telnet or SSH where you can possible get to the configs / stored presets so you can download them to a PC or Mac.  I know on my Behringer DCX2496 Crossover, I can connect via a serial to USB and download my presets.  I'm sure Mackie Support has some way of accomplishing this.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 08:01:08 PM »
I'm sure Mackie will support preset backup/restore eventually, along with most all we've requested - to compete they will have to. A tsunami is forecast, named iX16 ;) .

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 08:51:50 PM »
I'm sure Mackie will support preset backup/restore eventually, along with most all we've requested - to compete they will have to. A tsunami is forecast, named iX16 ;) .

I've owned (and still own) a lot of Behringer equipment.  The tsunami is far far away.  They are saying the iX16 in 4 qtr.  I suspect 2013 at next NAMM show...Maybe :).
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 09:08:55 PM »
^ That only gives Mackie maybe a couple of firmware updates before the iX16 hits. The thing about tsunamis is that they are far, far away until they hit you so fast you can't get out of the way.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 09:25:09 PM »
What I want is a sub £200 wifi remote control surface with motorised faders (or, at least, the means to interface a BCF2000 with Master Fader)  >:D