Author Topic: FAQ: Use Airport Express to Stream Break Music Wirelessly from iPad to DL1608  (Read 27329 times)

Kevin

• Door #1
  • Padawan
This was one of the most immediately useful tips that I got from the old Mackie forum before it died:

The Airport Express has a stereo out jack and supports "Air Play" enabled apps like the iPad music player.  So you can stream break music wirelessly to the mixer
The downside is you have to give up two inputs on the DL, but for me it is worth sacrificing two inputs, in order not to have to dock the DL in order to play music from it.
If the application supports Air Play, there is a little square in the upper right corner that you can click on and select "Airport Express" as the Airplay device.

AFAIK, only the Airport Express supports this. The Airport Extreme does not
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:58:19 PM by RoadRanger »

WhatsThatSound

• Youngling
I usually do the break music wherever we play and have found 2 "DJ" programs that are Airplay enabled. I downloaded the first one"djay" and I noticed on the second break it would drop out for a second and them come back on and the tune playing would actually sound like a skip on a turntable (remember vinyl?) and thought that it was a bug in the djay program so I found another program "Air Scratch HD" and downloaded it and it does the same thing as the other dj program, so I'm thinking it is now not the apps but Airplay? I have never had a drop out with the band, so am stumped on how to correct this as I get a load of dirty looks from the dance floor and crowd when this happens. Anybody else having this problem or can offer suggestions on how address it?

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
I think the issue you are having is due to the Master Fader App "re-connecting" after you have been to the DJ app.
One of the things that the 1.4 update is supposed to correct is the Master Fader app having to "reconnect" when we have gone to another app.
I stream break music from iTunes on the iPad with the Apple Express and don't have any skipping issues. Have you tried iTunes playing the music?

Dan

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Are you using a 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz connection? It could have been a WiFi dropout.

Kevin

• Door #1
  • Padawan
Hmm.. I have heard something like a CD stutter while using Airplay with the iTunes music player, but AFAIK its only happened twice in the 3 months that I've had the DL. Both times when I heard the stutter, I assumed that there it was due to cell phone interference with the WiFi, so I set the iPad near the DL, which seemed to solve the problem. If its doing it a lot, you might want to change your WiFi settings. I'm still running at 2.4Ghz, but others have reported improved results going to 5Ghz band. Also, make sure that that MF and your DJ app are the only ones running on your iPad

WhatsThatSound

• Youngling
Never tried Imusic and only have MF and DJ app running on Ipad for whole show. The drop outs have occurred during DJ app use, usually have 2 songs cued and never go back to Master Fader until the break is over. I will try switching to 5ghz.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
It's Air-wave congestion at 2.4 gig. This of course would increase as more people check their e-mails etc. during intermission. Old Bluetooth devises are also part of the problem and lets not forget those Microwave ovens going at some venues as people order food. Best choice for now is 5 gig until it gets crowded.
When in doubt KISS

Robert

• Youngling
I use an old iPod streaming Pandora "Irish Pub Rock" into ch 16 of the DL through a special XLR cable I made to combine R+L into a single signal.  This work fine if you are ok with a mono signal.  I think I used 10K resistors on the summing network. I've slept since I made it.  :o.  I might add, this cable would work for the Airport Express if you wanted to save a channel.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:14:41 AM by Robert »

Kevin

• Door #1
  • Padawan
Also - If you are using 2.4Ghz band, turn off the bluetooth in your iPad to avoid unnecessary interference (handy tip from Dan on old forum). This is probably a good thing to do whether you are streaming music or not.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
I use an old iPod streaming Pandora "Irish Pub Rock" into ch 16 of the DL through a special XLR cable I made to combine R+L into a single signal.  This work fine if you are ok with a mono signal.  I think I used 10K resistors on the summing network. I've slept since I made it.  :o.  I might add, this cable would work for the Airport Express if you wanted to save a channel.

Why don't you just put your iPod on mono mode? You did a lot of work to combine the signals when the iPod could do it for you.

Robert

• Youngling
Jerrylee,  I use the combiner cable for other devices too, such as my Olympus recorder, Airport Express, or anything else with a stereo out.  I looked again on my 2007 vintage iPod and don't see a mono out option,  maybe I'm just missing it.  I have seen that option on my ipad and 4s phone. 

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
If using the express and your wireless iOS device is set to mono the express will receive a mono signal.

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel
Why don't you just put your iPod on mono mode?

Why don't you just stick a cork in one ear?

Someone on the old forum suggested an app called Tango Remote. I have been using it almost exclusively and love this app.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:14:44 PM by LeeSteel »
Plug up one ear and make it mono!

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
Lee, That was me and I still use it exclusively.  I like the idea of being able to control it remotely.  I know others use LouderLogic (great with normalization / transitions), but no remote capability.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

prosoundco guy

• Padawan
Can you stream using an iPad and an AirPort Extreme?