Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

FAQ: Use Airport Express to Stream Break Music Wirelessly from iPad to DL1608

(1/8) > >>

Kevin:
This was one of the most immediately useful tips that I got from the old Mackie forum before it died:

The Airport Express has a stereo out jack and supports "Air Play" enabled apps like the iPad music player.  So you can stream break music wirelessly to the mixer
The downside is you have to give up two inputs on the DL, but for me it is worth sacrificing two inputs, in order not to have to dock the DL in order to play music from it.
If the application supports Air Play, there is a little square in the upper right corner that you can click on and select "Airport Express" as the Airplay device.

AFAIK, only the Airport Express supports this. The Airport Extreme does not

WhatsThatSound:
I usually do the break music wherever we play and have found 2 "DJ" programs that are Airplay enabled. I downloaded the first one"djay" and I noticed on the second break it would drop out for a second and them come back on and the tune playing would actually sound like a skip on a turntable (remember vinyl?) and thought that it was a bug in the djay program so I found another program "Air Scratch HD" and downloaded it and it does the same thing as the other dj program, so I'm thinking it is now not the apps but Airplay? I have never had a drop out with the band, so am stumped on how to correct this as I get a load of dirty looks from the dance floor and crowd when this happens. Anybody else having this problem or can offer suggestions on how address it?

dpdan:
I think the issue you are having is due to the Master Fader App "re-connecting" after you have been to the DJ app.
One of the things that the 1.4 update is supposed to correct is the Master Fader app having to "reconnect" when we have gone to another app.
I stream break music from iTunes on the iPad with the Apple Express and don't have any skipping issues. Have you tried iTunes playing the music?

Dan

RoadRanger:
Are you using a 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz connection? It could have been a WiFi dropout.

Kevin:
Hmm.. I have heard something like a CD stutter while using Airplay with the iTunes music player, but AFAIK its only happened twice in the 3 months that I've had the DL. Both times when I heard the stutter, I assumed that there it was due to cell phone interference with the WiFi, so I set the iPad near the DL, which seemed to solve the problem. If its doing it a lot, you might want to change your WiFi settings. I'm still running at 2.4Ghz, but others have reported improved results going to 5Ghz band. Also, make sure that that MF and your DJ app are the only ones running on your iPad

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version