Author Topic: FAQ: Use Airport Express to Stream Break Music Wirelessly from iPad to DL1608  (Read 27492 times)

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
Can you stream using an iPad and an AirPort Extreme?

No. Only with the express.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
I use a DI that combines stereo inputs into mono.....leaves me a spare finger for something other than my ear ;)
The older I get, the better I was!

Topsøe

• Knight
I use tango remote with my IPhone docked running Tango in server mode works fine , as long as no one calls  :)
And dosn't take up any audio channels
If in doubt ask

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
I use tango remote with my IPhone docked running Tango in server mode works fine , as long as no one calls  :)
And dosn't take up any audio channels
Handy little app, thanks for the tip ;)

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel
Lee, That was me and I still use it exclusively.  I like the idea of being able to control it remotely.  I know others use LouderLogic (great with normalization / transitions), but no remote capability.

The best thing for me is that when I am on break and walking around the bar with my phone in my pocket, if I notice the break music playing too loud or soft, I can change it without running up to the stage. BRILLIANT!
Plug up one ear and make it mono!

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
I use a DI that combines stereo inputs into mono.....leaves me a spare finger for something other than my ear ;)

Maybe you could use that finger to put the iPad in mono mode so you don't have to worry about using that DI.

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel

Maybe you could use that finger to put the iPad in mono mode so you don't have to worry about using that DI.

The only way to properly experience mono music is to use that finger to plug up one ear.
Plug up one ear and make it mono!

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
Lee, That was me and I still use it exclusively.  I like the idea of being able to control it remotely.  I know others use LouderLogic (great with normalization / transitions), but no remote capability.

The best thing for me is that when I am on break and walking around the bar with my phone in my pocket, if I notice the break music playing too loud or soft, I can change it without running up to the stage. BRILLIANT!

The only advantage of tango is that you can use the dock connector. But it still uses a sub par music player and that to me is a big issue. I was the one that told everyone about louder logic. The reason I originally found it was that I was searching for an app with crossfades. Crossfades are priceless when it comes to break music. It removes the little bit of down time between songs. People who are dancing, or whatever, take that short break as a reason to stop dancing, or just hanging out. Imagine going to a club where there is a dj and he stops the music for 2 seconds between songs. He won't have a job for long. Unless its a strip club. I have seen this issue happen tons of times at places including ones I play. I always try to override the house systems so that I play break music. They always wonder why I keep the people going.

The other big advantage of louder logic is the ALX. It's more than just a leveling process. Everything sounds so much better. And when songs do fade out before crossfades kick in it keeps the level higher. It's really hard to explain how much better it is. The past several days I have been playing on a Bahamas cruise. The pub were I play was filled with women dancing. On my breaks they kept gong and were requesting songs. I had to go to my iPad music player for the requests. Louder logic was playing. When I switched to the stock app it was a huge difference. It sucked. Volume was way off, all the bass seemed to disappear, and it seemed lifeless. And I had to play one song at a time without crossfades which was a total bummer.

Even if louder logic isn't for you it's still a great idea to have an app with crossfades. They are a game changer. If you don't believe me then experiment for yourself.  Wait till you have a busy room and try it both ways. See the difference with crossfades and without. And as far as I know tango remote does not offer them.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight

The only way to properly experience mono music is to use that finger to plug up one ear.

Disagree. There is some sound leakage. The best way is to stick a knife in one ear and cut out the ear drum. That'll do it real well.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master

Yes I would, if my stereo source was an iPad, but it isn't.  :D

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
What is your stereo source?

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
What is your stereo source?
I have several different stereo sources, Roland drum kit, keyboards, MBP, file players, iPods and iPads.
I was suggesting the DI box as a generic way to sum stereo to mono, not specifically for "i" devices which have mono switching.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
Robbo we are talking about using AirPlay to stream break music from iPad and/or tango remote. Not the the other stuff you mentioned.

But to address what you posted all but the file players you mentioned there can be used in mono. Yes the drum kit, the keyboards, the iPad and iPads, and mbp can be used as mono sources. I have no idea what file players you are referring too. But if they are running through the iPad, iPod, or mbp they can be used mono.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
Occasionally I use my iPhone via Airplay.
My Airport Express is used to run my Luminair lighting rig so is usually not that handy to the mixer, that's why I use the DI plus a long XLR .
(My DL runs on a different router)
Very quickly, is it easy to mono out a MBP running DJay or iTunes? It isn't something I've looked into.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
Occasionally I use my iPhone via Airplay.
My Airport Express is used to run my Luminair lighting rig so is usually not that handy to the mixer, that's why I use the DI plus a long XLR .
(My DL runs on a different router)
Very quickly, is it easy to mono out a MBP running DJay or iTunes? It isn't something I've looked into.
If it's going to take 30 mins to find out from the manual and organise on the laptop, I'll take the quick option and use the DI ;)