Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

AUX channels issues

(1/5) > >>

ggraue:
I am a new owner of the DL1608 and I recently did a live gig with my new mixer.  Went pretty well, but I had a couple of struggles.  The big issue seems to be with the AUX sends and effects, particularly compression. I have heard that the AUX sends are NOT pre-effects.  Yikes!  My lead singer complained that his guitar and voice in his in-ear monitor sounded terrible.

I think there were comments in the original Mackie forum, but now that it is down, I cannot find anything on this issue.  Any chance the new 1.4 update will address this problem?

RoadRanger:
I set the compression on vocal channels at threshold -14 db and make sure the trim is set so only the loudest of peaks compress - basically using the compressor as a limiter.

sam.spoons:
There was, as you say, loads of discussion of this on the old forums. I think RR has the old stuff archived. However to clarify. The insert FX (i.e. Comp, Gate, EQ) are all pre-aux, send FX (Rev and Delay) are post fade as always. This is the default for nearly all analogue desks for the last 30+ years (The A&H MixWiz is the exception that proves the rule). Digital desks nearly always offer alternative routing to place the dynamics and eq after the aux if required. The DL is unique (at least for now) in being the only desk of it's type, it costs a similar price to a cheap analogue desk a couple of FX units and does way more than even a top of the range live desk of 10 years ago (ok RR allow me a bit of poetic licence here :-). Use the dynamics sparingly as you would have done when you were using analogue and you'll be fine. I believe Master Fader 1.4 won't address this issue but BenO has said it's on the 'to do' list.

For the moment we have to take the DL for what it is, a great small gig desk with great pre-amps and a fantastic workflow. It's not perfect but, so far, it's been getting better with every update. With what is promised for MF1.4 (better dealing with shows and snapshots, icons stored in presets and a few other things) and the My Fader app for the iPhone we'll be getting everything that was promised pre-launch so we should treat everything else as bonus features  8) As Sheryl Crow said "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got" :eek:

edtemple:
I almost sold my Presonus StudioLive... 'til I found out about the aux post dynamics/eq thing. Post eq I can get around, but the post dynamics I can't do because sometimes I'll mix a heavy band with a hardcore screamer that I need to limit severely in FOH. If the 1608 had subgroups with compression control I could do it that way, but that seems like it would add to the complexity of the 1608, and I think it's almost perfect as it is (from messing with the 1.3 app demo). My previous desk was an A&H MixWiz3, and a MW2 before that, so I always thought pre-everything was the norm. Bad me. :-) As soon as the pre-everything option is available, I'm buying it right-quick.

p.s. thanks for starting this forum! I'd been trying to access the Mackie one for days.

p.p.s. extra points for having some of the cast of Angel as your avatar pics.... but why only Buffy's husband? [grin]

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: edtemple on March 20, 2013, 01:50:30 PM ---I almost sold my Presonus StudioLive... 'til I found out about the aux post dynamics/eq thing. Post eq I can get around, but the post dynamics I can't do because sometimes I'll mix a heavy band with a hardcore screamer that I need to limit severely in FOH.
--- End quote ---
A workaround is to use a "Y" cord on that mic so you can use two channels on it - one for monitors and one for FOH :) .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version