Author Topic: FAQ: ATA Style Cases for the DL1608  (Read 22832 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
FAQ: ATA Style Cases for the DL1608
« on: March 19, 2013, 04:04:20 PM »
I'm surprised there aren't a bunch of ATA style cases available for the DL1608 yet. The only one I've seen is this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221170317093
It is 15” (w) x 22.125” (d) x 7.25” (h) which is kind of large IMO and would cost me $236 delivered.
I cheesed out and bought the Mackie Bag - partially because pack space is a BIG issue for me. I have a little Scion Xa
into which I fit a pair of Danley TH-Mini subs, a pair of RCF 310A tops, a pair of Behringer B208D's, six 10" coaxial monitors, a 6U rack with three power amps in it, stands, mics, cables, mixer and two iPads, 4' folding table, drum throne to sit on, DI's, adapters, etc. I do have an ATA style case from an old Behringer 2222FX that fits in two dimensions but is about 3" too much in width that I've used before I got the bag and could be cut down I suppose...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:00:56 PM by RoadRanger »

LennyG

• Youngling
Re: ATA Case?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 03:07:13 AM »
I ordered the ATA case from eBay on Friday, Mar 15th, and have heard nothing other than the auto-reply mail indicating my card went through.  Expected to see it on Friday.  Though it is a little larger than I might prefer, it looks sturdy and will provide a space to mount a small power strip and the wireless router.  I'll let you know what I think once I actually receive it.

Robert

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:52:21 PM »
This is what I came up with.  It's an Odyssey DJ mixer case for $105 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-FZ12MIX-Flight-Single-Mixer/dp/B0002DVCQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364253747&sr=8-1&keywords=Mixer+case+odyssey

I use it as a stage box with all of the cables coming out of the removable access panel. The lid remains closed on stage.   I also have the router, power supply and a small fan mounted in the bottom. 

LennyG

• Youngling
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 12:00:07 AM »
Robert, that looks like a nice way to do it.  The ATA case I ordered finally shipped and should be here Wednesday.  It'll be interesting to see if it will works as well for me as I'm hoping.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 02:04:57 PM »
Gator just came out with a case that looks pretty good! The model number is GMIX-DL1608-WP :
http://www.amazon.com/Gator-GMIX-DL1608-WP-Waterproof-Mackie-DL1608/dp/B00C1KN1EE

They also have one for the Line6 StageScape :) .
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 02:07:46 PM by RoadRanger »

LennyG

• Youngling
Re: ATA Style Case for the DL1608 ?
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 03:01:45 AM »
I got my ATA case today, and I'm pretty stoked.  It fits as snug as a bug in a rug  :lol:, and includes room for the WiFi box.  I like this because I can just remove the top, connect the cables, and it's ready to go.  I attached an extension cable for power that will just coil up in the back of the box when I put the top back on.

I cut two channels in the foam for storage of the extra cable underneath the DL1608, as there's about an inch of vertical space to place the cables.

What do you think?

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 03:36:15 PM »
Robert, that looks like a nice way to do it.  The ATA case I ordered finally shipped and should be here Wednesday.  It'll be interesting to see if it will works as well for me as I'm hoping.

Nice looking job and the price seems right.  I take it though the lid is not removable?

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 03:37:42 PM »
I got my ATA case today, and I'm pretty stoked.  It fits as snug as a bug in a rug  :lol:, and includes room for the WiFi box.  I like this because I can just remove the top, connect the cables, and it's ready to go.  I attached an extension cable for power that will just coil up in the back of the box when I put the top back on.

I cut two channels in the foam for storage of the extra cable underneath the DL1608, as there's about an inch of vertical space to place the cables.

What do you think?

I do like the idea of one box for everything and it is just what I'm lookng for but $200 seems steep.  Do you feel it was worth that much?

LennyG

• Youngling
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 10:47:49 PM »
Nice looking job and the price seems right.  I take it though the lid is not removable?

The lid isn't shown in the photo and was removed.  You can see the hinge for it at the back of the case.  I'm used to buying cases for my mixers where I can operate them from within, providing protection and minimizing the handling of the hardware.  At $200 I suppose it could be considered expensive, since it's essentially plywood, cabinet carpet, and plastic/foam protection cut to fit.  I've built a number of road cases for myself and it isn't hard, but it is time-consuming.  Tracking down the hardware pieces, getting the right kind of foam and cutting it in a way that looks professional all takes longer when you don't have all the proper tools and don't do it very often.  For me it was worth it, because I have difficulty finding a weekend afternoon to do it.  That and I can afford to buy it.  That's probably why I used to build my own.  I was younger with lots of time and no money.  Now I have little time, and only a little more money.  :)

My old mixer (and its road case for the power supply) was a behemoth that was best moved using two people. 
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151498576566077.1073741828.553126076&type=1&notif_t=like

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 10:53:09 PM »
^ I think musicman7722 was commenting on Robert's case.

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 11:04:13 PM »
I was and I apologize.  i got mixed up on the rack types due to the links and pictures.  I belive this thread has shown 3 cases so far right?  One metal with a top that will not come off for around $105.  A second for $200 which is the plastic Gator product and a thrid where the lid will come off which I'm not sure of the price?

Chris

LennyG

• Youngling
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 11:34:50 PM »
No problem on the confusion.  Happens to me all the time. 

The carpet-covered wooden case is also $200, available at http://www.ebay.com/itm/221170317093.  Mine showed up in about 10 days.

Fozadabo

• Youngling
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 05:34:04 AM »
Very nice setup LennyG.  I'm still amazed at the horsepower we are now able to transport in such a small footprint.

Robert

• Youngling
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 02:14:32 PM »
Musicman, the case above, third post I believe, is $105 from the Amazon link.  It's a DJ mixer case.  I added my own foam and riser so the  power supply and fan fit underneath.  So, if you are handy with cutting styrofoam ( I use a bandsaw), and other assorted soft materials, it's not to hard, but as LennyG said, it is time consuming.  I best like the removable panel for the cables, that way the lid stays closed on stage.  I mainly work with one band so all of my pre's are set and marked with little pieces of yellow tape.  The case ideally could be a little smaller, but at the time, I needed to get it roadworthy and it has served it's purpose.  I like LennyG's case too, the size looks better, but the removable panel for closed lid operation on mine is a key feature for me.  RR,  there was another thread on the old forum about fans, overheating and such, in case you run across it.  I've never had any thermal issues, just added the fan since my DL is in a closed box.  I'm an EE too, so I have some awareness of heat buildup in boxes.  It was an easy addition. 

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 02:56:03 PM »
Yah, there was some discussion about the iPad overheating and shutting down mostly. Does your fan just blow air around or is there an inlet or outlet it is mounted on? If I do end up with a case I'd not use foam in it - I'd use the four mounting holes on the bottom of the DL1608 (used for the rackmount adapter) to screw it down from the outside, maybe with some short standoffs so air can get underneath it.

Right now I have the Mackie bag and a small zippered bag with the router, power supplies, and iPad Mini in it  :facepalm:, and a separate amp rack. I'd sure like to save the time it takes to hook all that up :( ! Right now my ideal would be a 4U rack (for my two monitor amps with the DL1608 in a case bolted on top of that with a hole between them for cables 8) . My sub amp can live in a separate rack, maybe with a crossover too :P . Dunno if I'd want the option of running the DL1608 with the lid on, might be occasionally useful :) .
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:05:23 PM by RoadRanger »