Author Topic: Love for the old passive C300's  (Read 10662 times)

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
Love for the old passive C300's
« on: March 19, 2013, 10:28:17 PM »
I have a pair of the original C300 speakers that I doubt I'll ever let go of - they were some of the most over-engineered affordable speakers ever built!

Yeah, their RMS is 300, music is 500, but peak at 750 means 100's of shows that I threw kick drum at these bad-boys at without a whimper.

I worked for a while at a club that had a pair of the SRM450's, same form-factor. One of the drivers died (beer) so I pulled it out and replaced it with one from my C300 while waiting for Loud to send a replacement - the magnet on the C300 is almost twice the size of the 450! No wonder they sound so much better… headroom is our friend don't ya know.

Anyway, saw this forum and felt like dropping this little thought here… anyone else sporting older versions of Mackie speakers they love?

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
Re: Love for the old passive C300's
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 12:53:17 AM »
If the SRM450s were the newer Chinese versions & your C300s were the RCF/Italian version, that would explain the difference in the woofer. The newer Chinese ones use a cheaper driver with a smaller motor. Mackie claims similar or same specs though with either one...
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 03:20:39 PM »
That is likely the case, and they're full of it… impedance is the same, but that much difference in magnet size is not going to give the same response to wattage.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 05:02:29 PM »
That is likely the case, and they're full of it… impedance is the same, but that much difference in magnet size is not going to give the same response to wattage.

Not necessarily. Mackie switched to neodymium magnets which are fraction of the size of ferrite based magnets and have the same or better Gauss field strength for a given speaker motor of similar performance. As an example, here are two RCF high performance 18" drivers. They're basically the same driver, but one uses a neo magnet and the other uses  ferrite:

http://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/precision-transducers/low-frequency-transducers/lf18x451

http://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/precision-transducers/neodymium-low-frequency-transducers/lf18n451

Note the difference in magnet/motor size. Yet the neo version is a half a dB more sensitive while being 10 lb. lighter with the relatively small magnet. But the average power handling with the same voice coil on the neo version drops a bit since the smaller motor means less surface area to dissipate heat.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 06:51:32 PM »
Also Neo is a bit more sensitive to being demagnetized by heat than Ceramic/Ferrite.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 06:53:21 PM »
Also Neo is a bit more sensitive to being demagnetized by heat than Ceramic/Ferrite.

True. But there was a paper published recently that clearly demonstrated that the amount of heat generated by loudspeaker usage was far below the threshold to cause that issue.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 06:57:48 PM »
They've pretty much solved the Neo demagnetization issue with newer alloys. It was a definite problem with some of the first Neo speakers :( .

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 09:52:20 PM »
The magnets in the SRM450 were ceramic, that change may have happened with more recent versions.

(I used to work at a speaker repair shop, so I have a clue about the differences between AlNiCo, ceramic & neodymium)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:56:49 PM by CyberHippy »

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 09:55:03 PM »
I know they use them for sure in the v2 model. Can't say for sure with the generation right before that.

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 09:57:42 PM »
They were v1 and the magnet was heavy, but not nearly as heavy as the old c300's