Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

FAQ: 30 pin Extension Cable Recommendations

(1/9) > >>

Kevin:
Is anyone using a 30 pin extension cable that they would recommend?

I'd like to be able to plug my iPad into the DL1608 without having to remove the protective case (which is a PIA).

I bought a neXplug 4 foot extension cable from Amazon, which did not work. The neXplug got decent reviews and is a full 30 pin connector (not just power), but on the unit I got, it appears that the female 30pin connector was not formed correctly in the housing. There is about 1/16 inch gap between the front of the plastic housing and the actual 30 pin female connector on the inside. This prevents the contacts from mating completely to the male connector on the DL1608. When I plug in my iPad, the battery alarm beeps continuously (not seeing charge).  Also, the male end of the cable, is a good bit thicker than the 30 pin connector on the charger, so it doesnt fit through the protective case very well.

I sent the neXplug back and ordered another extension cable from a different manufacturer. While I'm waiting, I figured I'd check to see if anyone has done this successfully - and for anyone else who is thinking about this, I would advise against the neXplug.

>> tldr: The most reliable cable appears to be the 2' CableJive. If you can keep your iPad close to fully charged, you may be able to use the 6' CableJive cable as well.  Both of these are around $25. A  Patazon 3 ft cable (costs $5) is only reliable when the iPad is fully charged

RoadRanger:
We've tried many different cables and not had one work consistently :( .

Kevin:
Dang! that was not the answer I was looking for - but thanks for the response.

Anyone else have any luck with using an extension cable to connect the iPad to the DL?

The iPad docking mechanism on the DL seems pretty slick at first, but it only works with a naked iPad - and a bar or club is not a good place for a naked iPad.

WK154:
I haven't had any problems with my $9 Chinese 3ft cable all 30 wires. Never disconnected or acted flackey. Bought of eBay but I don't have particulars. I'll see if I can find the paperwork. What I did find out dealing with the iPad/DL sort of USB connection is that the iPad can be run thru a powered hub ( PC as master iPad as slave) while the DL wont. More crappy Mackie code or hardware. Their driver is not very forgiving and locked up consistently on hot plugs of various combinations that I tried in case the USB OTG (On The Go) was implemented in some fashion. Remember that neither Apple or Mackie claim to comply with the USB standard but Apple at least can deal with a hub. Had to power the DL off to recover. Conclusion is that Mackie's code or hardware in the DL may be the larger part of the problem than the cable. Impedance and capacitance of the cable may also aggravate this fragile system.

RoadRanger:
I actually have a cable that used to work but didn't when I tried it earlier this week :( . It also now doesn't like to detach from the iPad so I'm afraid it will damage it anyways. Maybe it was stepped on or something - I'll have to take a better look at it. In any case at least one other guy here bought the same cable and it didn't work for him.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version